Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
jprincipe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile
Default 8830 - should i switch to sprint

Please Login to Remove!

It seems the pros out weigh the cons with having the 8830 on sprint. Can you receive MMS on sprints version. Sprint people, are you satified with sprint service? thanks
Old 07-24-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprincipe View Post
It seems the pros out weigh the cons with having the 8830 on sprint. Can you receive MMS on sprints version. Sprint people, are you satified with sprint service? thanks
Sprint service is fine had them for 7 years going on 8 soon and I travel all over and never have trouble getting signal or dropping calls, but then again I dont go to every place so try it out for 30 days and pick the service that works best for you. MMS is a no go just have people send them to your email its not hard. Any phone that can send picture mail can send it to a phone number or an email address.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

I've been with Sprint for years and have no complaints. If you have any doubts, they let you test drive the system for 30 days to see if it works where you need it to work.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Steve-hose
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

My incoming MMS goes to te Sprint pictures website which is a click away. I also like Sprint, they don't disable or nickel and dime the features like Vz, it's worked well every where I travel, they are data and tether friendly, the gps works great. The cust service blows but that's why these boards exist - i never call Sprint for anything. Defiitely try it for 30 days and see.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
BlondeBoyL
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprincipe View Post
Pardon my ignorance and dislike of sprint after being screwed by them, but what pros are there to sprint? (Keeping in mind this is the company who drops customers for calling customer service more times than they like....)

Edit:
By the way I have used every major carrier with the exception of T-Mo, so I am coming in with some expierence and not just pure hatred for the different carriers.

Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 07-24-2007 at 01:15 PM..
Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I think thats a good business move to start,, but the advantages as I have seen are the fully functional GPS, free tethering with domestic data plans.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
BlondeBoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
I think thats a good business move to start,, but the advantages as I have seen are the fully functional GPS, free tethering with domestic data plans.
True, but if you bought a BB solely for a GPS device, that was not a smart move. Granted the GPS functionality would be nice if I had it but since I use infospace on my BB, I dont really see the need for GPS honestly.

Now the free tethering is a nice feature, BUT again, you are not getting the full speed to begin with. At last check the BB was not set up for EVDO revision A broadband. You would be better off with an aircard if that is your real business need.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
test54
BlackBerry Master

well no one really buys a BB for one of the add ons, its the email and OS is why people buy these. GPS is merely a nice thing to have as is the Tethering. I never said anything about the speed, but compared to EDGE its pretty fast.

Tethering is easy and can be used when needed, sounds like your shooting down any idea that the Sprint device is better than yours...

Also I use infospace as well but with the GPS is knows where you are and that comes in handy when traveling as does tethering.

Last edited by test54; 07-24-2007 at 02:10 PM..
Old 07-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
BlondeBoyL

Quote:
well no one really buys a BB for one of the add ons, its the email and OS is why people buy these. GPS is merely a nice thing to have as is the Tethering. I never said anything about the speed, but compared to EDGE its pretty fast.

Tethering is easy and can be used when needed, sounds like your shooting down any idea that the Sprint device is better than yours...

Also I use infospace as well but with the GPS is knows where you are and that comes in handy when traveling as does tethering.
In my mind sprint can release a phone that can make calls on the dark side of the moon and it still will NOT be be better all because the service its self is the problem.

Unless you have ever had a problem and had to call sprint you wont under stand

Their customer support reps ALWAYS have an attitude when you try and get help from them (problem 1)

Now as far as the billing goes, there were ALWAYS problems with "mysterious" charges showing up on my bill when I was with them (problem 2)

The service in the mid-atlantic reigon (MD, DC, VA) really does blow. Point blank you cant hold a call with them to save your life. Granted they have signal but getting the call is another issue (same as cingular in this area... the famous "all circuits are busy now" message)

Just to give you an idea of their service in this reigon, I am a former government employee and my office had a very large account with them and we dropped sprint because of the call dropping, call clarity (which was garbage), and just over all service for our personnel at home. Sad to say we went to cingular who is better but not the best.

Not being partial to VZW because they do nickel and dime you, BUT you do get what you pay for.

Now back to your original comment about the phone being better...when you take all the above into consideration I would have to say that I dont care how much more the phone has available, if your network cant back it up, what good is it?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
CletusJones

Model: 8320
PIN: 24427bba
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-hose
My incoming MMS goes to te Sprint pictures website which is a click away. I also like Sprint, they don't disable or nickel and dime the features like Vz, it's worked well every where I travel, they are data and tether friendly, the gps works great. The cust service blows but that's why these boards exist - i never call Sprint for anything. Defiitely try it for 30 days and see.
So any time you get a text message you have to download it from a website?

I love that my texts and mms come directly to my device with Nextel. Is it an inconvenience to have to download from a website or is it transparent in the background?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #11
Steve-hose
Thumbs Must Hurt

I travel to MD, DC, VA, FL, GA, TX, SC often and Sprint has been great. GPS gets me to where I am going without having to buy and deal with a puck, and tethering allows me to make and change travel plans, surf, and use Outlook when wifi is not available. BT tethering with 8830 is also nice-no cable. I haven't had any billing problems nor any reason to deal with CS fortunately. I had both Vz and Sprint 8830's side by side for a month and Sprint's signal was better. Try it in your area to see how it works.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
Steve-hose
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusJones View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

So any time you get a text message you have to download it from a website?

I love that my texts and mms come directly to my device with Nextel. Is it an inconvenience to have to download from a website or is it transparent in the background?
Not text messages only MMS. You click on the link in the MMS message and it will display it. Not really inconvenient, I wish it were true MMS but I don't receive them very often, mostly it's email attachments. Text messages are normal and include the thread and go right to the inbox.

Last edited by Steve-hose; 07-24-2007 at 03:11 PM..
Old 07-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

BlondeBoyL,

You response to me was that of dismissing the features of the phone not talking service. Based on that I think the features of the device at Sprint is a better deal. I was with Sprint for about 5 years and had no problems as I had no need to call CS, as provider is more of a personal coverage choice i cannot recommend it for anyone but me but if it was my choice and the coverage was the same I would go with the device with GPS and free tethering.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #14
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBoyL View Post
Pardon my ignorance and dislike of sprint after being screwed by them, but what pros are there to sprint? (Keeping in mind this is the company who drops customers for calling customer service more times than they like....)

Edit:
By the way I have used every major carrier with the exception of T-Mo, so I am coming in with some expierence and not just pure hatred for the different carriers.
If you read the PR from Sprint, the 1,000 customers that got dropped out of 55 million customers. The reason they got dropped is in a 6 month period they called more than 90 times, some calling every day or every other day to try and get discounts and crap. As Sprints PR said they customers better shape up or their next carrier will most likely drop them. As sprint also said most of them sprint was basically paying them to use the service and not making any profit at all off them.

If you were one of the 1k people you should be ashamed.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
veks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: sprint

today i actully kept an eye on my signal since i spent 5 hrs of my life driving. i drove all over the san gabriel valley, east LA, downtown LA, south cental and back. my signal was at 3 bars or higher. i think two three times i was at 1bar (city of terrace). i had nextel before i made the move to sprint and in some of these locations my phone would have been at no bars. with today i am satisfied with my service. ill be going to san francisco in a few weeks and post on it when i get back
Old 07-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #16
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
I have just ordered my Sprint 8830 because of the advantages you listed plus their coverage is good in all of the areas I travel in.

As soon as the Sprint 8830 arrives, I am shipping my old 8830 back to Verizon since they don't care about having me as a customer. Sad.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #17
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by veks View Post
today i actully kept an eye on my signal since i spent 5 hrs of my life driving. i drove all over the san gabriel valley, east LA, downtown LA, south cental and back. my signal was at 3 bars or higher. i think two three times i was at 1bar (city of terrace). i had nextel before i made the move to sprint and in some of these locations my phone would have been at no bars. with today i am satisfied with my service. ill be going to san francisco in a few weeks and post on it when i get back
Went to San Fran a few weeks ago, I go about at least once a month to eat in the city when I visit family in northern cal. Never had any trouble with signal in the city. I dont see why you would since its dense and populated so every service provider will have it populated with towers. VZ does have an advantage right now with the analog frequency but they have to give that up in a year and the BB along with the treo is all digital so it cant make use of the analog frequency anyway. I know on the treo forums the analog sig was always used as an "advantage" of VZ, but I pointed out that the phone was digital so it didnt matter.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #18
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBoyL View Post
In my mind sprint can release a phone that can make calls on the dark side of the moon and it still will NOT be be better all because the service its self is the problem.

Unless you have ever had a problem and had to call sprint you wont under stand

Their customer support reps ALWAYS have an attitude when you try and get help from them (problem 1)

Now as far as the billing goes, there were ALWAYS problems with "mysterious" charges showing up on my bill when I was with them (problem 2)

The service in the mid-atlantic reigon (MD, DC, VA) really does blow. Point blank you cant hold a call with them to save your life. Granted they have signal but getting the call is another issue (same as cingular in this area... the famous "all circuits are busy now" message)
I can personally attest to what you have said above. Living in VA.. I moved 3 times in a span of 3 - 4 years, each time I was told by sprint that I was juuuust on the edge of their coverage area. Which means I get "some" calls, and my phone has to stay charging because it's going in and out of service constantly at home.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #19
test54
BlackBerry Master

This is the perfect example why coverage is the #1 consideration that should go into choosing a carrier. And to go with that, they all offer a trial period where if you find that the service is not good enough in your preferred areas that you may return it and try a different carrier.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #20
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
This is the perfect example why coverage is the #1 consideration that should go into choosing a carrier. And to go with that, they all offer a trial period where if you find that the service is not good enough in your preferred areas that you may return it and try a different carrier.
Very true, back when I had sprint.. then cingular, they didnt have those "trials" .

What's funny, is a few years back I switched to Verizon because Verizon had the better phones.. now its the opposite. I didn't really have any problems with the cingular service but I really honestly NEVER have problems with my Verizon service.
Closed Thread