BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
jjd228
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Default SMS length. Device or carrier specific?

Please Login to Remove!

With pretty much every other phone in the world you can type a text message 4 million characters long and the phone will simply break it into multiple messages. I've had probably 20 different BB's on 4 different carriers and I can't remember if this worked on any of them. I don't think so though. Why would RIM do it like this?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (bb8320TMO)

I don't think that's accurate. On the 8320, 9000, , 8830and 9530 I have owned you can type untill your thumbs bleed and the BlackBerry™ will send it out 160 characters/SMS.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

RIM isn't. Your carrier is.

SMS = Short Message Service = 160 characters.

I know ATT and TMO both will break a lengthy SMS into up to 7 SMS messages. I don't know why Verizon will not.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
RIM isn't. Your carrier is.

SMS = Short Message Service = 160 characters.

I know ATT and TMO both will break a lengthy SMS into up to 7 SMS messages. I don't know why Verizon will not.
Doesn´t rim put a limit on the number of SMSs can be trunkated into 1 long message? Isnt it ... 9? THen of course it depends on your carrier if they want to accept it. hehe.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

seven.

It's a carrier limit. RIM didn't set the standards.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
jjd228

Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

I think you're all missing something. When you're in the process of typing a message, the OS is what is in control, not the carrier. I can use a non-verizon OS, non-verizon sim card, and the device still doesn't let you type beyond the limit. I also had an ATT Curve that I'm SURE didn't break up long text messages into multiple messages.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Sam K
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Unlocked Tour 9630 on BES w/ AT&T

I've heard that Verizon Wireless supports Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS) but only between it's own customers (i.e. Verizon to Verizon not Verizon to AT&T, etc). If you've ever sent/received a SMS message between 2 non-smartphones on Verizon, you'll notice that you can insert a small animation that will be received by the other party. I think EMS will automatically break up long SMS messages into multiple messages. The 160 character limitation on the Blackberry is definitely a device limitation, however if you try to send a message longer than 160 characters from Verizon to a non-Verizon customer, you will get a warning message back telling you that only the first 160 characters will be sent to other party.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
jjd228

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT5L View Post
Wirelessly posted (bb8320TMO)

I don't think that's accurate. On the 8320, 9000, , 8830and 9530 I have owned you can type untill your thumbs bleed and the BlackBerry™ will send it out 160 characters/SMS.
So you're saying you have a 9530 (Verizon Storm) right now that will let you type 1000 character sms messages and will break it up into multiple messages and send them out? I'm sure you are mistaken.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
jjd228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
I've heard that Verizon Wireless supports Enhanced Messaging Service (EMS) but only between it's own customers (i.e. Verizon to Verizon not Verizon to AT&T, etc). If you've ever sent/received a SMS message between 2 non-smartphones on Verizon, you'll notice that you can insert a small animation that will be received by the other party. I think EMS will automatically break up long SMS messages into multiple messages. The 160 character limitation on the Blackberry is definitely a device limitation, however if you try to send a message longer than 160 characters from Verizon to a non-Verizon customer, you will get a warning message back telling you that only the first 160 characters will be sent to other party.
Thank you for understanding me. The typing limit is CLEARLY device-based. You can take the device while not on any network at all and if you type an sms message it will say "field full" when you reach the limit. So again I'm wondering why RIM chose this.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
jjd228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
seven.

It's a carrier limit. RIM didn't set the standards.
Completely incorrect.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ms-9530-a.html
Old 12-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
Sam K

Model: 9630
Carrier: Unlocked Tour 9630 on BES w/ AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
Thank you for understanding me. The typing limit is CLEARLY device-based. You can take the device while not on any network at all and if you type an sms message it will say "field full" when you reach the limit. So again I'm wondering why RIM chose this.
I'm wondering the same thing. I've been griping about this since I first switched from a non-smartphone on Verizon to the Pearl. I was used to being able to type long messages to my friends who were on Verizon and not having to worry about. It's really annoying that I have to stop after 160 characters, send that message and then compose another reply. I'm sure it's also annoying for the recipient who has to wait a few more seconds for the rest of the text message to arrive instead of receiving all the parts at once.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
gsontag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 3050BF93

Its device specific. I had another verizon cell previous to my storm and i could type up to 7 "pages" in one message but on the storm it stops you at 160.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
From what I understand, it is a CARRIER limit imposed on the BlackBerrys. It seems to be a component of the OS - which Verizon has a hand in modifying to their speculations, as we all know from the GPS lock-down threads that used to go on and on around here.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

To rachamphetimine's point, I believe that the carrier sets the limitation, and submits that limit as part of the specs for the OS. A change in this bewteen OS' from the same carrier may reflect a change in the carrier's desire for a size limit.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
jjd228

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
From what I understand, it is a CARRIER limit imposed on the BlackBerrys. It seems to be a component of the OS - which Verizon has a hand in modifying to their speculations, as we all know from the GPS lock-down threads that used to go on and on around here.
Except that when NOT using a verizon OS you STILL get the "field full" message when you TYPE (not send) over the limit. It is a RIM design choice.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
jjd228

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsontag View Post
Its device specific. I had another verizon cell previous to my storm and i could type up to 7 "pages" in one message but on the storm it stops you at 160.
exactly. its always amazing to me how people will argue based on what they THINK. i just SPOKE to verizon and they confirmed that as long as a DEVICE will break a long message into many smaller messages, they have no problem SENDING them out. but the act of TYPING the message is controlled by the device and has nothing to do with the carrier at that point.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #17
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Except that when NOT using a verizon OS you STILL get the "field full" message when you TYPE (not send) over the limit. It is a RIM design choice.
Well, point taken. I still do not think it was the choice of RIM but the choice of Verizon.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #18
jjd228

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
Well, point taken. I still do not think it was the choice of RIM but the choice of Verizon.
Nothing to do with verizon at all. I just confirmed that. It's RIM's choice at the OS level. Verizon could modify this when they release their verison of the OS, but thus far they have not.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #19
C17Driver
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I've been griping about this since I first switched from a non-smartphone on Verizon to the Pearl. I was used to being able to type long messages to my friends who were on Verizon and not having to worry about. It's really annoying that I have to stop after 160 characters, send that message and then compose another reply. I'm sure it's also annoying for the recipient who has to wait a few more seconds for the rest of the text message to arrive instead of receiving all the parts at once.
My Pearl with ATT lets me type as many characters as I want and then breaks it down into 160 character SMS messages. Sounds like it is carrier specific.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #20
macflauaus

Model: 8130

Anybody know if the Sprint/Alltel/US Cellular firmware will let you type messages longer than 160 characters? Perhaps it's something in the firmware as we can see that it happens on different devices.

On my Verizon 8130, I can receive messages over 160 characters, but can't send one over that.
Closed Thread