Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T
Default Blackberry Security

Please Login to Remove!

I was just reading about how both the iphone and the BB were compromised at the PWN2OWN challenge. Apparently the Torch was compromised through it's webkit browser. This claim really interested me.

The three researchers noted that the exploit used on the BlackBerry’s mobile OS was difficult to craft due to the lack of documentation, software tools, and resources available. They also noted that most of the operating systems security was achieved via obscurity, and stated that the company was “way behind the iPhone at the moment, from a security perspective.

Interesting indeed. So I guess the BB is secure not because it was built that way, but simply because it's obscure. I guess that's good too.

iOS, BlackBerry OS fall at Pwn2Own | BGR
Old 03-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Blackberry Security

The troll has returned. Welcome back. Aren't you online to buy the next Apple toy?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

well at least my chorme browser still hasnt been cracked like safari in 5 seconds!

on the subject of hacking, remember 5 years ago they also claimed a bb can be hacked by installing a 3rd party app! yeh baby!

webkit is buggy its not made by rim.......

only thing keeping chrome alive is the sandbox feature and thanks to version 10 it now sandboxes adobe! yeh baby!
Old 03-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
well at least my chorme browser still hasnt been cracked like safari in 5 seconds!

on the subject of hacking, remember 5 years ago they also claimed a bb can be hacked by installing a 3rd party app! yeh baby!

webkit is buggy its not made by rim.......

only thing keeping chrome alive is the sandbox feature and thanks to version 10 it now sandboxes adobe! yeh baby!
All I use is Chrome. Best browser if you ask me.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
The troll has returned. Welcome back. Aren't you online to buy the next Apple toy?
Not really a troll comment, just passing along some good info. The iphone was cracked just as easily, so it looks like everyone has some work to do.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
All I use is Chrome. Best browser if you ask me.
its faster then ffx i still use both ffx and chrome, chrome still has issues at time for me, the only real reason i love chrome is how quick and painless and seamless it updates itself.

unlike ffx its background automatic and i never have to worry its at current version. which is a big plus, wish ffx would do this i would probably go back instead of that update box pop up etc.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I'm not so concerned about security when the hackers had to be handed an UNLOCKED device and direct the browser to their own custom-made hacking site. It's interesting as a proof-of-concept exercise and food for thought, but it's still not a significant threat. Also of note is that they did it on a Safari-based browser. AFAIK, nobody has done this with the older browser.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I'm not so concerned about security when the hackers had to be handed an UNLOCKED device and direct the browser to their own custom-made hacking site. It's interesting as a proof-of-concept exercise and food for thought, but it's still not a significant threat. Also of note is that they did it on a Safari-based browser. AFAIK, nobody has done this with the older browser.
This exploit was webkit browser based, but as they said, the OS is secure because it's obscure, not because of it's design as many claim. You should be worried. Smartphones are the next big hack target, BBs are not immune.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Tempest in a teapot. And BlackBerry is far from "obscure". That sounds like whining from hackers because RIM doesn't make it easy for them to get the tools to hack it. BlackBerry was JUST surpassed by Android as the most widely used OS in North America. How is that "obscure"??
Old 03-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Tempest in a teapot. And BlackBerry is far from "obscure". That sounds like whining from hackers because RIM doesn't make it easy for them to get the tools to hack it. BlackBerry was JUST surpassed by Android as the most widely used OS in North America. How is that "obscure"??
I think they ment that it's inner workings are obscure and not well documented. That is why BB has been safe so far. Don't count on it lasting forever.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #11
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Moved to security section.
Closed Thread