Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
timkartes

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default making laptop hotspot for 8320

Please Login to Remove!

has anybody had any luck turning a laptop into a hotspot for the 8320. i have tried making an ad-hoc connection and it appears the bb is not capable of connecting to an ad-hoc network.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkartes View Post
has anybody had any luck turning a laptop into a hotspot for the 8320. i have tried making an ad-hoc connection and it appears the bb is not capable of connecting to an ad-hoc network.
I do not believe it supports ad-hoc. Use a portable router.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
timkartes

Model: 8900

playing with the bb the other day i discovered something about the bb that could use come clarification. if you go into wi-fi options under manage connections, press the bb button, choose wi-fi diagnostics, press the bb button again and choose site survey, you will see ad-hoc show up but during the survey it does not show any ad-hoc networks just wifi. anybody have any ideas about why this is or how to make it detect an ad-hoc network?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Wishdemon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320

On this note, is there anything I can add to my laptop to have it provide a wireless connection? Im currently on a network that uses a software based authentication method for my laptop. I cannot connect a router and use it as it will not work (tried a million ways)...but is there anyway that will allow me to create a wireless connection from my laptop to my bb so that I can use UMA?

Is it possible via bluetooth?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkartes View Post
playing with the bb the other day i discovered something about the bb that could use come clarification. if you go into wi-fi options under manage connections, press the bb button, choose wi-fi diagnostics, press the bb button again and choose site survey, you will see ad-hoc show up but during the survey it does not show any ad-hoc networks just wifi. anybody have any ideas about why this is or how to make it detect an ad-hoc network?
Ad-Hoc was not designed for what you are trying to do. It was designed for device to device communication and MESH networking. Example: a Nintendo DS in Multi-Player mode with another one in the same room. To establish the WiFi connection you need Infrastructure not Ad-Hoc.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishdemon View Post
On this note, is there anything I can add to my laptop to have it provide a wireless connection? Im currently on a network that uses a software based authentication method for my laptop. I cannot connect a router and use it as it will not work (tried a million ways)...but is there anyway that will allow me to create a wireless connection from my laptop to my bb so that I can use UMA?

Is it possible via bluetooth?

Thanks.
I am guessing you are using it at work and the IT department has an additional layer of security on the wireless network? Please describe the setup. Thanks (and sorrty but no to Bluetooth)

Last edited by TroyDBrown; 09-30-2007 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Added Bluetooth comment
Old 09-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Wishdemon

The network has applied a layer of security. It requires for me to use a login to access a webpage which then will run a checker that verifies certain things (such as having an anti-virus, etc). It has blocked a ton of ports. Unfortunately, I cannot remember for the life of me what that checker's name was...but I think its called defender...I have to log in once and that'll be it and seems to have taken my network connection and made into two separate connections...

Any help is definitely appreciated
Old 10-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
Wishdemon

Anyone ever figure out if this is doable?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
B-Roll

Ok, I'm in Europe on tour with my band and have been getting wireless at most clubs. Sometimes we have to plug into the router though and broadcast the wireless connection via one of our Macbook Pros.

What I'm wondering is, why won't my Curve connect to my Macbook and use the connection to get WiFi on my phone?

It shows up in the network list in my phone but doesn't connect. Any help?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

As stated above, I don't believe the BB doesn't support the ad-hoc networks. I use the Linksys WTR54G travel router. Works great!
Closed Thread