Old 10-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
aboyes

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange
Default Thinking of getting a 8900

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

First post! I currently have a Nokia e71 but its boring me to death. I like having a querty so I'm thinking of getting a 8900! Also it appears there are loads more apps on the blackberry?!!

Anyway I'm sure this question has been asked thousands of times but I just want to check.

With my E71 at home I can easily connect to my router via wi-fi to browse the net. I also have 2 short cuts to my gmail and hotmail accounts. If I want to check my e-mails I just select the account and connect to the router and click refresh. As long as I can do this on the 8900 I'm sold.

However I've heard with a BB you have to have a dataplan to do this? I don't have this and am quite happy doing it via the router at home. I dont require push e-mail just the ability to refresh my e-mails manually when I feel like it and browse the net.

Can anyone confirm this please?

I hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any assistance.....if I get any!!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

You could use the wi-fi via the browser to check the emails online.
Blackberry's have push email, and no other way of connecting to the mailbox. i.e. you cannot natively setup a mailbox that you connect to whenever you want.

Having said that, some carriers are requiring you to have a blackberry data plan even to use wi-fi. As wi-fi is controlled by service books [everything is] which you don't get if you don't have a blackberry data plan.

Blackberry doesn't sound like the device for you, and perhaps a newer nokia with the same fuctionality you have now would be a better choice.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo

If all you need is wifi connectivity, then you do no need a data plan.

however, you wont be able to check your mail via the browser if you have no wifi.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
aboyes

Thanks for the replies. Just spoken with orange and its £5 PM for push e-mail and unlimited internet per month, which isn't that bad! So maybe I should as the BB data plan to my monthly tariff?! I expect having push e-mail on the go is rather handy!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
KermEd

Carrier: A big one
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyes View Post
Hi all,

First post! I currently have a Nokia e71 but its boring me to death. I like having a querty so I'm thinking of getting a 8900! Also it appears there are loads more apps on the blackberry?!!

Anyway I'm sure this question has been asked thousands of times but I just want to check.

With my E71 at home I can easily connect to my router via wi-fi to browse the net. I also have 2 short cuts to my gmail and hotmail accounts. If I want to check my e-mails I just select the account and connect to the router and click refresh. As long as I can do this on the 8900 I'm sold.

However I've heard with a BB you have to have a dataplan to do this? I don't have this and am quite happy doing it via the router at home. I dont require push e-mail just the ability to refresh my e-mails manually when I feel like it and browse the net.

Can anyone confirm this please?

I hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any assistance.....if I get any!!
Go for a Google phone Sorry guys but, BlackBerry's support is absolutely horrible. The company is being beat out by almost every competitor in the Smart Phone market. If they ever decide to start listening to customers and actually safely locking down the operating system - I'll be a happy user.

I tried everything to show them a loophole that allowed me to dump my entire phone to my PC within 20 minutes of purchasing it. It dumped the data regardless of it being passworded. They don't care about the security hole... so whatever :P

But do yourself a favour, buy something that is being actively developed. If you buy an 8900 your going to be stuck replacing the trackball every 3 months (voiding your warranty) and complaining about how slow the browser is (RIM's browser is one of the worst I've ever seen).

Just my two cents, flame if you want. But its not where I would be making an investment if I were purchasing a phone.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
aboyes

Just looking at the app world website and theres quite a few apps that take my fancy.

Do all the apps works on all Blackberry handsets or is it like Nokia and HTC where only certain apps work on certain models?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Some will only work on certain models. i.e. some are only written for use with the Storm touchscreen.
But the majority will work on any model as they are written per OS version, i.e 4.2 and below, 4.5 and above.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
aboyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
Some will only work on certain models. i.e. some are only written for use with the Storm touchscreen.
But the majority will work on any model as they are written per OS version, i.e 4.2 and below, 4.5 and above.
Thanks. I see that makes sense. Is there a way of identifying which ones will work on the 8900? I can't see any navigation allowing me to filter the correct apps for certain devices.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

On the device itself from the App World app, it won't [shouldn't at least] show ones not made for your device.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
aboyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
On the device itself from the App World app, it won't [shouldn't at least] show ones not made for your device.
Ok fair enough, I'll have to find someone wih a 8900 and check on their's before I buy one!
Closed Thread