Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
916ian

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange uk
Default Email problems

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all - newbie's first post (be gentle please!)

I am in the UK and got my BB Javelin (we call it the Curve over here) a couple of days ago. I am running 4.6.1.206, and link to my Win XP PC via BB Desktop Manager 4.7.0.37. My carrier is Orange.

I wonder if anyone can help? I am self-employed, and have my own website and email hosting (administered by a 3rd party). I normally collect my emails (standard POP/SMTP) via MS Outlook. However, although I am able to send emails via my BB, which appear as being from my own email address , I am not able to receive any emails , although new emails do show on the BB once I've sync'd using D/top Manager. Emails are arriving fine in Outlook so no service outage or password typo.

Orange are not able to help me out; we've tried everything from deleting and setting up new accounts, checking mail settings against Outlook settings (eg passwords etc.), resending service books etc. They tell me that outgoing emails are actually sent via the Orange server, so the problem is only with incoming emails because the BB server cannot properly communicate with my email server. Doesn't make sense though - I received confirmation emails to each address (from 'Activation Server') but nothing else. Anyway, incoming and outgoing email servers should normally be identical.

If I can't receive push (or near-push) email on my BB I'm going to have to return the handset. Someone please help me!

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

emails do not sync using desktop manager.
if outlook is open, then emails are downloaded OFF the server into outlook. So the BB cannot collect them.
If you are not recieving emails when outlook is not open, im not sure.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
916ian

OK - but emails on Outlook do appear on my BB following syncing with desktop manager, so if they're not syncing I don't know how they get there.

My Outlook settings leave a copy of the email on the server.

Outlook open or closed seems to make no difference. Could this be a security/access feature of my email hosting?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

In desktop manager do you see an option called email settings?
if so, you shouldn't.

leave on server should be correct, and im not sure. who is your email provider?

also how did you setup the email?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
916ian

No email settings option, just sync config options allowing me to sync Outlook Calendar and Contacts. 'Synchronize' does mention changing "options for synchronizing email messages and organizer data" on the main menu - think that confused me!

Email provider a medium-sized local company who host my website. I've emailed their tech support in case it's a security setting on their server.

I setup the email originally on the handset, but this has since been deleted and re-set up by Orange during support calls. Each email address validated successfully and I received the confirmation email from Orange.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

it is very strange.

Closed Thread