Old 12-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
MrMrMr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none
Default BB Playbook still ok to buy?

Please Login to Remove!

The daughter wants a BB phone for Xmas, and I was tempted to buy her a cheaper style tablet as well. I have an iPad 2 at moment.

So I've heard the horror stories on the HP tablet, and also heard rumours on the BB Playbook going defunct as well.

Is it "safe" to buy a BB playbook then? will it still be supports with apps, updates etc? Its available now for 16Gb at 200. I don't want to buy if its going to be defunct in a month though. Are BB going to push forward on it?

Also I don't know much about it, is it any good? any different to iPad? what is good/bad about it? Is the touch screen good? reason I probably wont buy a cheaper tablet, is the experience/screen touch are normally rubbish

cheers
Old 12-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
lesarmitage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Voda UK (9900+PB)
Default Re: BB Playbook still ok to buy?

I have a 16gig. I wouldn't buy one for anything apart for business on BES server - answer no.

No apps and poor support generally which of course may change. Second attempt at answer - not yet

Last edited by lesarmitage; 12-03-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Old 12-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
MrMrMr

Oh well I'm unsure now as its totally not for business only pleasure. Web browsing, movies, music, games, reading ebooks.

I've heard they v2 of the software allows Android apps to be used, which would make a massive library?

Is 200 for the 16Gb today with a voucher....
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

In my opinion, pass. The Playbook went nowhere when it launched and it cannot compete with other tablets, especially in the consumer market. It has no future.

I would look at the Kindle Fire at the $200 price point.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesarmitage View Post
I have a 16gig. I wouldn't buy one for anything apart for business on BES server - answer no.

No apps and poor support generally which of course may change. Second attempt at answer - not yet
Agreed. I have an iPad, Playbook, BB, and iPhone all on BES/EAS. Wife has Nook color and BW device.

The Playbook has some ROI if you are on BES, but if not there are many other tablets/ereaders that provide a much better overall experience.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
MrMrMr

Sorry don't know what BES or EAS is, also I would get kindle fire but it's not out in UK where I am. Would the play book still be no good though even when software v2 comes supporting Android apps?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

People are trying to steer you AWAY from the Playbook, but you want to be convinced that it is "good enough".

It isn't.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

My opinion: The PlayBook is a good product if you have a use for it. Buying it without any particular function in mind is likely to lead to disappointment. That may change when version 2 of the OS comes out, but maybe not, and who knows when we will see it.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
MrMrMr

I don't need any convincing and for people to tell me its good I was just adding for people opinions who have it and how it is in general.

I don't want it as a business tool, I want it for my 12 year old daughter for Xmas. I want it for movies, ebook reading (as other option is to get her a kindle), movies, browsing etc. I like the look of the form factor , being small enough to carry around a bit more than my iPad.

So.wine says he's running the v2 of software now and Android apps run well, surely this negates the no good apps?

I don't want to buy a cheap android tablet as they have horrible touch screens, sometimes no Android market etc. I'd rather pay a bit more for a better quality tablet.

My wife wants to get the kindle for her 90 (UK), I want the playbook 200 (UK), in this instance is it worth it, and will it still be supported in the future?

Cheers
Old 12-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Let me try to put this in more simple terms for you...

The Playbook is a piece of shit, and will always be a piece of shit, even with the new 2 software if it's ever released.
Don't buy one. Find another solution for your 12 yr. old. It's the wrong device for her.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
gqdru

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus

As a self professed techno geek, I have tested nearly every tablet. I own both an ipad2 and a Playbook. Here is my unbiased opinion....

1. Screen size - ipad2 wins at 10.1"
2. Screen resolution - Playbook wins at 1080p vs. 720p
3. Battery life - Playbook wins even after the iOS update
4. Camera / video - Playbook wins
5. External ports - Playbook wins with mini USB and micro hdmi
6. Apps - Apple wins handsdown - but OS2 will bring Android Apps to the PB Feb 2012
7. Web browsing - Playbook supports flash and has a considerably faster browser
8. Portability - Playbook wins
9. Sound - internal speakers - with 2 stereo quality speakers the PB offers full room filling sound
10. Build quality /Design - Playbook wins - the PB feels solid and is comfortable to hold with its rubberized back

Hope that helps!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Accessories? iPad by a mile.
Portability. No difference.
You are making an assumption about the quantity and quality of Android apps that will be available with the famous OS 2 upgrade.

And I can get my corporate e-mail on my iPad now...

iPad wins easily. Not even the iPad2.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMrMr View Post
I don't need any convincing and for people to tell me its good I was just adding for people opinions who have it and how it is in general.

I don't want it as a business tool, I want it for my 12 year old daughter for Xmas. I want it for movies, ebook reading (as other option is to get her a kindle), movies, browsing etc. I like the look of the form factor , being small enough to carry around a bit more than my iPad.

So.wine says he's running the v2 of software now and Android apps run well, surely this negates the no good apps?

I don't want to buy a cheap android tablet as they have horrible touch screens, sometimes no Android market etc. I'd rather pay a bit more for a better quality tablet.

My wife wants to get the kindle for her 90 (UK), I want the playbook 200 (UK), in this instance is it worth it, and will it still be supported in the future?

Cheers
I have a different view of the PlayBook that a lot of folks who replied here. I use mine every day for entertainment and work. I much prefer the 7 in. over a larger tablet. I don't think the PlayBook is going away anytime soon. My 12 year old granddaughter loves my PB. There are plenty of games your daughter would like, music apps and services, VEVO free for music videos, & YouTube works great. The Kindle Cloud reader works very well - there is no Kindle app. I haven't used the Kobo app because the Kindle Cloud is my choice for books. If she likes taking photos and videos, the PlayBook is awesome for both. There are photo apps for cropping, enhancing, etc.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
zatera

Model: Test
Carrier: Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqdru View Post
1. Screen size - ipad2 wins at 10.1"
8. Portability - Playbook wins
Contradiction.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
MrMrMr

Well I went in store to try it and was impressed by the screen quality and responsiveness, other cheap Android tablets the screen and touch function are rubbish.

I liked the size of it to, can see me using it!, it had BBC iPlayer on, video looked good, music sounded good. Had quick look in app world and although not as good as Apples still seemed a few apps, and hopefully this will improve wurh v2 software with android apps.

I bought it for 200 UK, seems good price. Wont play with it till Xmas, but will set it up for her beforehand.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #17
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMrMr View Post
Well I went in store to try it and was impressed by the screen quality and responsiveness, other cheap Android tablets the screen and touch function are rubbish.

I liked the size of it to, can see me using it!, it had BBC iPlayer on, video looked good, music sounded good. Had quick look in app world and although not as good as Apples still seemed a few apps, and hopefully this will improve wurh v2 software with android apps.

I bought it for 200 UK, seems good price. Wont play with it till Xmas, but will set it up for her beforehand.
I think she will love it! Post back after Christmas and let us know how she likes it.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #18
alslsb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: erest

Absolutely. I have both an iPad and a Playbook and prefer the Playbook. The only things I use the iPad for in NotesPlus; a handwritting app. If your daughter wants it for a gaming platform, then go iPad. If she wants the better tablet for great Internet experience, go Playbook.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

If you want a more open Android alternative than a Kindle Fire at an affordable price point, from a reputale manufacturer, check out the Lenovo A1.

They're discounted to $249, 16G mass memory, 7" gorilla glass screen, same resolution as Fire/Playbook, dual cameras (lower resolution than PB/ipad), GPS, BT/WiFi, and SD expansion card slot to increase memory down the road. Only downers are single core, 512M memory and Android 2.3...and Lenovo is publicly stating no OS upgrade for A1 (only hope is for ICS-based CM)

Last downer - you have to web order, everyone is sold out except for overpriced Amazon vendors, and delivery will be post X-mas.

Last edited by jimn367; 12-05-2011 at 12:32 AM..
Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #20
MrMrMr

Again don't think A1 is available in UK
Closed Thread