Old 01-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
ItsaRaid
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: 217B8701
Carrier: AT&T
Default WiFi Issue On AT&T 9700 and Starbuck Hot Spots

Please Login to Remove!

Very Interesting Situation of Which AT&T has been absolutely no help at all, including their WiFi support team, that is trying to emulate Apples Chat Support System, its absolutely horrible

Carrier AT&T OS 5.0.0.405

I have a New Bold 9700, OS 5.0.0.405, I have Unlimited Everything. The other day, I went into a Known Starbucks that is a Authorized AT&T WiFi site.

First thing I noticed was there was a Red Star in the WiFi Icon upper right Screen under antenna, and a Red Star on the WiFi set-up Icon.

I clicked on the Icon, got the AT&T Wifi Hot Spot Log In Button I clicked it, and it opened a AT&T WiFi window with 4 option Buttons in the Traditional AT&T Colors, top 2 buttons state Member ID, Credit Card #, ect. It like a vicious circle, keep going and you wind up in the same lousy Predicament- The AT&T Window with the 4 Tabs.

I did a Manual Scan for networks, it found the Wifi Hot Spot Login, but again, back to the stupid AT&T Window, BTW the manual scan shows full signal strength, and - Connected.

In the Top Mid portion of the Screen, it says at&t wifi, the red Icon remains both in the Wifi Icon upper right under antenna, and start up icon for WiFi.

Starbucks was absolutely no help at all, the only thing they wanted to do is charge me for 2 hours of wifi and give me a user name. AT&T was Argumentative, an Advanced person stated "coldly" Wifi isn't for free on AT&T, "Nothing is for free-"

Another person from AT&T stated I had to go to a special window (That doesn't exist) on AT&T.Com/Wifi and register my phone at which time the service would issue a password for me to use at all At&T Hot spots- No Such Beast, we spent hours looking for the window to register at.

I decided to buy a Vanilla Latte, took a sip, it was lousy, got disgusted and turned the power off on my 9700. They made a new drink, I went back to the place I was sitting at and turned the Phone back on.

Guess What-? No More red Stars, The WiFi was enabled, showing at the Top of the Screen, the wifi Icon was lite up and I went into the Wifi Folders of setup and it showed the AT&T HOt Spot Active and enabled.

Any one got some bright ideas?

All AT&T Customers on a Data Plan of $ 30.00 or more are entitled to FREE AT&T Hot Spot WiFi at Starbucks and other Authorized AT&T Hot Spots. AT&T claims I should be able to walk into a Starbucks and the system will recognize me as a AT&T Customer and allow me unlimited use of WiFi-

Obviously its not working that way. BTW I have also done several Battery Pulls to no avail-

Last edited by ItsaRaid; 01-02-2010 at 12:06 PM..
Old 01-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
trax95008
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

i have noticed mixed results myself on my previous 8900. it seems like half the time it would automatically log in its self. and if it didn't, i couldn't get it to manually log in either. i havent had a chance to test it since getting my 9700. sorry i wasnt any help
Old 01-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
pilot1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: Ball Wizard

This is odd. I have never had a problem with wifi connecting automatically at Starbucks or other places with wifi. The only time I have ever seen the red star by wifi is at the library. I open the browser and enter my id info. Works like a charm. I do know with my laptop, I sometimes have to reset my router or laptop, after being on another router, but I have not had issue with the Bold 9000 or 9700. I will continue to keep and eye out for this problem and keep you posted on my findings. Until then, I would continue to try the power down and back on. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Similar issue with wi-fi not connecting automatically at some places; I have to revert to manual wi-fi sniffing/configuration. Ghrrrrr.....
Old 01-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
rontiu
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT Wireless

Hmm....I have the 9700 with ATT, and I can walk in/out from a Starbucks without problems, showing the Att hot spot as a current connection. I do see though that in my wifi profiles that a AT&T Wi-Fi profile comes pre-configured...I never set the ATT profile up on my own...or had ot configure it..

Equally when I come to work or if I am at home, the phone automatically points to one of my pre-definited wi fi profile preferences I have stored..to connect to wifi..
Old 01-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
ItsaRaid

Default Enter ID?

You mention you enter your ID? AT&T said you should be able to walk into a known free hot spot and use wifi without an id. Can you be clearer about your ID that you enter
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
pilot1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
You mention you enter your ID? AT&T said you should be able to walk into a known free hot spot and use wifi without an id. Can you be clearer about your ID that you enter
You should be able to walk in to a Starbucks and have no problems and do not need to enter any thing. I only use an id for the library and had to enter it once at my fitness center, other than that if they are open and free wifi areas you do not need to enter anything. Panera Bread and Bruegger's bagels, are free, but you need a login ID that they will give you at the counter. Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
ItsaRaid

Which Softtware OS are you running on the 9700?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
pilot1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Which Softtware OS are you running on the 9700?
I have updated to 5.0.0.423, but I have never had any issues with the previous OS or on my 9000.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
ItsaRaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1 View Post
I have updated to 5.0.0.423, but I have never had any issues with the previous OS or on my 9000.
Okay, so then which is the OS for AT&T 405 or 423?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
pilot1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Okay, so then which is the OS for AT&T 405 or 423?
405 is the one AT&T released. 423 works perfect on AT&T as well. The OS is written by RIM for all Blackberry devices. The carrier is given one and test it, once it is proven to work, they release it. They might not have gotten a chance at testing a later version or are using the "ain't broke, don't fix it" excuse for not using 423 or even a later version. Bottom line, is you can use any carriers OS for the same model phone and it will work. This should not be the problem with wifi. I have been having great luck with 423, so I would recommend updating. Just follow the instructions and it will be easy. Should take 30 to 40 minutes.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

I am experiencing the same problem as ItsaRaid is. It isn't an AT&T issue but rather a device issue. Mine started after upgrading the OS to .423... I have to manually get wi-fi to work regardless how the device is set up for (automatic or otherwise). That is true for wi-fi at my own home as well...
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
trax95008

im running .423 as well. a couple days ago i went to Starbucks and it logged in to the wifi no problem
Closed Thread