BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
ya future hubbie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Lightbulb **blackberry phone as a tv remote control ???**

Please Login to Remove!

ok i have no idea if its possible , but ive been thinking about it for a couple of months, this things huge lol and maybe there might be a way it could some how send out the frequencies out to a tv to change the channel, i figured maybe theres a programmer out there tha could do it , cuz i know i sure would use it , especially when i would go over friends houses changing there channels lol , at first i wasnt to sure if to make the post , but then i noticed this universal remote i just started using , would light up the little light it has at the end of the remote when u change a channel , and it would light up everytime the phone i guess would be looking for service , so thats why i finally said hey maybe someone might know..
Old 11-10-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
azf100

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya future hubbie
ok i have no idea if its possible , but ive been thinking about it for a couple of months, this things huge lol and maybe there might be a way it could some how send out the frequencies out to a tv to change the channel, i figured maybe theres a programmer out there tha could do it , cuz i know i sure would use it , especially when i would go over friends houses changing there channels lol , at first i wasnt to sure if to make the post , but then i noticed this universal remote i just started using , would light up the little light it has at the end of the remote when u change a channel , and it would light up everytime the phone i guess would be looking for service , so thats why i finally said hey maybe someone might know..
You have to have Infrared to do it. I can do it with my Palm Pilot.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

mftp
Old 11-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

your catching on NJBB
Old 11-10-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I caught on a while ago, but it isn't getting me anyplace...
Old 11-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

The long answer:
Yes, it is possible but not quite the way you think.

Even though BlackBerry has no IR,
You can use a web-based or email-based remote control system -- and use your BlackBerry to remotely control the web-powered/email-powered remote control connected to a computer server (i.e. a plugin for Windows Media Center, etc).

Basically a gateway that converts web/email based operations to infrared commands. I've seen web-browser based touchscreen remote controls connect over WiFi to a remote computer that does the actual infrared hard work.

It is more work but it makes it possible for any wireless Internet device to control a home theater or home automation. Look up software such as MainLobby, Girder, myHTPC, Meedio (google these up) -- some of them include email/web plugins. You need devices such as a USB-UIRT infrared transceiver connected to the computer, and the USB-UIRT needs to be pointed to your home theater, and that computer needs to be connected to the Internet as a server. More help at "Home Theater Computers" at www.avsforum.com/avs-vb

A BlackBerry user successfully controlled his TV using this manner.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-10-2005 at 08:36 PM..
Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=5774
Old 11-10-2005, 10:07 PM   #8
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

mftp! ya baby!
Old 11-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: MetroPCS

Yeah, it would work at Mark says... I used to do it that way with my old phone; didn't have IRDA either on that one.

As for exact instructions, check google... as you're attempt to get attention by using **whatever ???** irritates me. IMHO, no one needs to try and grab attention; your issues are no more or less important than the next guy. Just a thought.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:39 AM   #10
fliedlice
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
mftp! ya baby!

WTF does MFTP mean.....I feel left out

EDIT: NVM I did a search (imagine that) and found out what it means...its definatley the gheyest thing that the "know it alls" of BB forums have come up with....I think if you get as mad as a few of you do about "noobs" asking "stupid" questions you should probably quit the internet!!

BTW ive said it severaltimes and ill say it again...BB forums is turning into iden insider by the day...

Last edited by fliedlice; 11-14-2005 at 05:48 AM..
Old 11-16-2005, 01:58 AM   #11
tregrad
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: nextel

I couldnt find it with a asearch so what does it mean
Old 11-27-2005, 03:45 PM   #12
ya future hubbie

what i dont understand is if it annoys you then why look at it lol ? just keep it moving why go and look lol but then u have the nerve to call the guy that did it a idiot, ur such a dumbass "andrebsd"

oh and thanks Mark, you actually served the purpose of a "forum" other then these idiots..
Closed Thread