Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
durkmusic

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell Wireless
Exclamation Cincinnati Bell blocked my 3rd-party App. Connections

Please Login to Remove!

All of a sudden, one day all my third-party applications can't connect to anything. They all just stoped working. I had google maps, opera mini, instantgo, and more. They all worked fine untill a few weeks ago. I miss having these applications because it's the reason I have a blackberry!

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a work around?

Info: I have Cincinnatibell and an 8100
I have the apn gocbw (with the www dot before and the dot com after that I can't say because I can't enter links) and the username cbw they should be correct. I try socket and http nothing works

Thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Are you sure it was Cincy Bell? Are you on a BES?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
durkmusic

I'm not 100% sure it was Cincinnati Bell but I don't know what else could have caused it. I don't know what BES is sorry. I have Blackberry Lite which is a very basic plan. I don't think it really has internet but it does have email. I was never able to browse the internet with a browser but I was able to use Opera Mini to get on MySpace and other sites to check the weather and such. I wasn't able to download anything or stream anything because it would always go to my default browser but that was okay. I could use instantgo and be on AIM all the time and all kinds of other stuff. I doubt I have BES since I don't know what it is.

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

If you only have BlackBerry Lite, then you weren't entitled to access those applications, so they probably just closed a loophole.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
durkmusic

Okay, is there anyway to get around this? Please.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkmusic View Post
Okay, is there anyway to get around this? Please.
You should purchase a full-fledged BlackBerry Internet Service plan. This plan will enable you to take advantage of all features of your BlackBerry device.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
clubchucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

BES=BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Which basically means you can "sync" your information from your company. If you have BlackBerry Light, you don't have that....you have BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service), which is basically just an individual BlackBerry plan as opposed to a corporate plan...one that services many company BlackBerrys.

My guess is your 3rd Party Apps were blocked because you have the "light" version. I looked at the CBW website and noticed that there's many differences in the BBL and BIS service. Yes...mainly $15/mo. But if you look at the graph, it even has a red X by the apps like Facebook, Flickr, Yahoo in the light column but green checks in the BIS column.

So bottom line....upgrade to a BIS account. It'll cost you $15/mo more but your 3rd party apps will work. Light is just for email and little surfing is my guess. Should work after that; I'm in Cincy area too and know a lot of BB users and nothing is ever blocked for them (but they have BIS or BES). Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
durkmusic

Thanks! That helps out a lot. But... I don't have an extra $15 a month. In fact, I don't even have the $20 a month I'm already paying for practically nothing! Before was fine because I could use my apps but now there's almost no point in having my blackberry. Would you guys happen to know of a link to where I could get these third-party apps working or anything at all. I know someone that gets free internet on his phone and he is on prepaid, but then again he's like a programmer and all that good stuff. I just wish I could, and I know you guys are gonna say no so thanks anyways.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Thanks! That helps out a lot. But... I don't have an extra $15 a month. In fact, I don't even have the $20 a month I'm already paying for practically nothing! Before was fine because I could use my apps but now there's almost no point in having my blackberry. Would you guys happen to know of a link to where I could get these third-party apps working or anything at all. I know someone that gets free internet on his phone and he is on prepaid, but then again he's like a programmer and all that good stuff. I just wish I could, and I know you guys are gonna say no so thanks anyways.
Yeah, you were getting things that you weren't paying for. Sorry.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
durkmusic

Dang, I wanna get those things I wasn't paying for again, without paying for them.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Dang, I wanna get those things I wasn't paying for again, without paying for them.
Good luck.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
durkmusic

Ha Ha
Closed Thread