jacknjob
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Singtel
Default BES WIFI support

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am working off Singapore where the government provides free outdoor Wireless network at most places. The authentication method will be simple web-base redirections. As long as you can get onto the webpage from your Blackberry, you are considered covered.

Thing is, before my Blackberry activation, I will have few profile selection from my Browser's option page, eg. Blackberry Browser, WIFI Browser, Internet Browser and WAP Browser. I tested the WIFI connection, it works. I know the WIFI works because I took out the SIM card and to disconnect from GPRS network.

After the Blackberry activation, it seems to me that the Browser options on multiple Browser Profile selection is no longer available. The Browser Profile name became 'Company Browser' and I can't select any other connection profile.

What I don't understand is, the company administrator told me that WIFI is not disabled, it suppose to work. Well, I guess it may work if the WIFI connection is using home router or direct connection without authentication, because you get connected immediately. When web authentication comes into play, I need to first get on to the webpage. If I can't select WIFI profile, my Browser will not get to the authentication page, it will use default GPRS to surf the net. So now I am kind of stuck. If I take out the SIM card, the WIFI won't work because I can't choose WIFI profile from the menu.

Anyone has similar issue? Can someone explain to me what are the 4 browser profiles in 8320 works? How does the BB know which connection to default to when I select one of the profile? What if both GPRS and WIFI is available, what does the B unit do?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
blincoln
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Have them look again in the policy applied to your account. It probably restricts your handheld to only the standard browser, as opposed to disabling wifi as such.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

what version of BES are you running?

Whilst your admin said it wasn't dis-abled, given that WiFI is only now available in xx20 devices, I wonder if the default setting for a WiFI device on an old BES (which doesn't contain explicit WiFi policies) is to disable WiFi?

It would seem somewhat sensible for this to be the case - as would RIM want to force BESadmins to upgrade BES's just to try/test a new device and maintain control?

thought/comments/test cases to prove/disprove my theory (for that's all it is) anyone?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
DarkWater
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I would check the policy to see if it is denying other browser services. That would be the only thing to get rid of the other browsers after activation.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have seen this issue as well, I cannot configure the browser to use the carriers connection, it always defaults back to the BES. I created our IT policy so I know it isn't locked down to BES browser only, I have checked multiple times. Haven't gotten the time to call RIM about it yet though.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
jacknjob
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: Singtel
Default ...

Things is, there is only one Browser profile so it is automatic network detection. If I am getting on a pre-authenticate WIFI network using WPA or WEP, that's fine.

However in most of the hotels/WIFI-zones, the authentications are web-based. If I can't get onto the web-based authentication page, I won't be able to use EIFI at all. In order to solve this problem, I have to select the WIFI Browser profile. If the WIFI Browser profile is not visible, it always tap on to the GPRS since the connectino is there.

Freaking pissed off...

May I know which setting the admin set in the IT policy that disable the other profiles?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
DarkWater
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Allow Other Browser Services under the Service Exclusivity Policy Group.
Closed Thread