Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers
Default Attathemnts will download but refuse to open

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so I've got someone here who's unable to open any attachment through his Messages on the BB Bridge.

I've taken a look and it doesn't make sense. Same setup as I have, except he has a password on his BB. I set a password on mine, did a test and it works for me.

I know excryption of memory has lead to people uable to browse their documents on the BB, but this should be seperate from any of that (and he shouldn't have encryption turned on, he doesn't understand much of this stuff)

Any ideas? I'm talking .doc, .xlsx and .pdf... files I've tested myself, he cannot open.

It downloads, and then states "cannot open attachment"

Any ideas? I'm already out of them :(
Old 04-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Attathemnts will download but refuse to open

I've had mixed results. Sorry I didn't make note of the exact errors. Generally, some attachments don't download, and some download but can't open. But other attachments download and open. There doesn't appear to be a pattern as to what type of file (pdf versus doc, for example). All the emails were from the same sender (me). I had one email with two attachments, one opened, the other wouldn't (don't recall if it was a failure to download, or failure to open once downloaded).
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-28-2011 at 12:18 PM..
Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

Yeah,

I've looked at the issue, and it's multiple different senders, and different documents (.xlsx, .doc and .pdf)

I sent a document I know works and yet it downloads, and then says it cannot open the attachment.

It seems like this guy is completely SOL on this. It is a key function for his use so I'm going to have to come up with a resolution eventually..

Anyone else, please feel free to comment!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Shughes

Model: 97/98
Carrier: AT&T

I've had the same issue with random files not opening but they do download...I've been accessing the files under Bridge Files after they download as a workaround.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Randalvdm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default Re: Attachments will download but refuse to open

I've spent the last week dealing with this very issue with Blackberry support. I've solved it (sort of) but not without a lot of fuss. First, I had to update my operating system on my Blackberry. (I have a Bold 9700, which hadn't had it's operating system updated since I got it about a year ago.) Then I had to delete and re-install the Bridge software on my phone. The end result is that I am now able to download and read attachments via Bridge on my Playbook.

However (and I find this incredible) Blackberry support has told me (and they sent me an internal document confirming) that when files are downloaded, they can only be opened in Read Only mode. Blackberry recognizes that there is currently no ability to edit documents which are received as attachments to emails and save them, and they currently have no timeline with respect to when they will provide this functionality.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Yep. The doc, xls, and ppt attachments open as read only on the PlayBook. I recognize this is a work around we shouldn't have to do, but if you have the premium DocsToGo app on your BlackBerry handset, you can edit the files if you find you need to after reviewing on the PlayBook. (And the bidge folder is hidden in the documents folder on the BlackBerry. Just unhide.) I haven't tried, but you may also be able to open and edit the files with the Bridge Files app after they have been downloaded and closed in the email app.

EDIT: Actually, the free DocsToGo app will edit the files. Just not create a new file from scratch.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-30-2011 at 05:55 PM..
Old 04-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Randalvdm

Further to my previous post, and as I am unable to post a link (yet), cut and past the following into your browers after "www":

blackberry.com/btsc/KB26693
Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Randalvdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Yep. The doc, xls, and ppt attachments open as read only on the PlayBook. I recognize this is a work around we shouldn't have to do, but if you have the premium DocsToGo app on your BlackBerry handset, you can edit the files if you find you need to after reviewing on the PlayBook. (And the bidge folder is hidden in the documents folder on the BlackBerry. Just unhide.) I haven't tried, but you may also be able to open and edit the files with the Bridge Files app after they have been downloaded and closed in the email app.
I believe if you update your OS on your 9700 you will be able to download and read attachments directly from your email, and won't have to use your work around.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

True, if you do that first. I'm referring to the situation where one has opened the attachment on the PlayBook, reviewed oit, and wants to edit it. But I was in error on needing the premium DocsToGo to edit. The free version on the handset will edit; just not create.
Closed Thread