BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
robchow
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default 3rd party app permission (Poynt)

Please Login to Remove!

I have been thinking about BB security (more specially, 3rd party application permission). I don't know if it is overkill to change from the default setting as it is stated on Blackberry's website that (bold is my emphasis)
Quote:
If you have added third-party applications to your device, the device firewall is designed to prevent these applications from sending or receiving data without your knowledge. Before a third-party application sends or receives data, a dialog box prompts you to accept or deny the connection request.
I made changes to fit my preference and I am passing the information along.

Disclaimer:
Blackberry 8900, v4.6.1.231, BIS
Poynt 1.5.4.12

Connections

USB: Set whether third-party applications can use physical connections, such as a USB cable or RS-232 cable, that you have set up for your BlackBerry device.
Default: Allow.
My setting: Deny.

Bluetooth: Set whether third-party applications can use Bluetooth connections.

Phone: Set whether third-party applications can make calls or access call logs.
Default: Prompt.
My setting: Allow.

Location Data: Set whether third-party applications can use your GPS location information.

Internet: Set whether third-party applications can access the Internet through your wireless service provider (for example, using a direct Internet connection or a WAP gateway).
My setting: Prompt.
Event though this is set to "Prompt," the application never asked for permission to access the Internet; access is just given.

Wi-Fi: Set whether third-party applications can use Wi-Fi® connections.

Interactions

Cross Application Communication: Specify whether third-party applications can communicate and share data with other applications on your BlackBerry device.
If set to "Deny," the application won't work and the device will display the following error during a device start up.
Quote:
Application terminated:
Poynt has been denied
the "Cross Application Communication" permission.
Device Settings: Specify whether third-party applications can turn on or turn off your device or change device options, such as display options.

Media: Specify whether third-party applications can access media files on your device.
If set to "Deny," the device will display the following error during a device start up.
Quote:
Application terminated:
Poynt has been denied
the "Media" permission.
Application Management: Specify whether third-party applications can add or delete application modules or access module information such as an application name or version.
I am not sure what "Application Management" means. Does it mean that this 3rd party app can add/delete/view modules from other 3rd party app or just itself or both? App still works fine with "Deny" setting.

Themes: Specify whether your device can use third-party applications as a source for customized themes.

Input Simulation: Specify whether third-party applications can simulate actions, such as pressing a key on your device.
Default: Deny.

Browser Filtering: Specify whether third-party applications can register browser filters with the browser on your device to add, change, or delete web site content before it appears in your browser.

Screen Capturing (Recording): Specify whether third-party applications can take screen shots of the device screen.

Security Timer Reset: Specify whether third-party applications can reset the duration that your device remains unlocked after you stop using it.

User Data

Email: Set whether third-party applications can access email messages, SMS text messages, MMS messages, or PIN messages on your BlackBerry device.
Set to "Allow" if you want to use "Email to Friend" feature.
If set to "Deny," the device will display the following error during a device start up.
Quote:
Application terminated:
Poynt has been denied
the "Email" permission.
Organizer Data: Set whether third-party applications can access organizer data such as contacts, calendar entries, tasks, or memos.
Set to "Allow" if you want to use "Add to Address Book" feature.

Files: Set whether third-party applications can access files that you store on your device. For example, you can set whether third-party applications can access files that you transfer to your device using the media manager tool of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager or Bluetooth technology.

Security Data: Set whether third-party applications can access certificates or keys in the key store on your device.
Closed Thread