BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
jarthurs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Default 3rd Party App. for Voice Activated Dialing?

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know of a 3rd party application for voice activated dialing (VAD). I hate having to scroll my address book for names when I'm driving. I thought I had read about one of these a few weeks ago, but can't seem to locate that article. Even VAD that recognizes numbers would work. Thanks in advance for your help.

7250 - Bell Mobility
Waiting on a T3 BB from Rogers...
Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
roid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I believe Voice Activated Dialing apps are too memory and processor intensive for the BB.

I don't know about Bell or Rogers but Cingular has an excellent voice dialing service for 4.99/mo. Allows importing of address book. No training required. I don't love paying monthly, but since it's all there is...
Old 01-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: If you knew me you would have it!
Carrier: T-Mobile

Here's one

I haven't tried it yet because I can't get the latest version 4. whatever to work :(.

Looking to buy or sale used car audio?
www.caraudioclassifieds.org
Old 01-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFreak
Here's one

I haven't tried it yet because I can't get the latest version 4. whatever to work :(.
Only works for Nextel.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
dougp
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I've been using this for a couple of months (mobilevoicecontrol) and it works great.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
JROCK2004
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

That is nextel as well
Old 01-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by roid
I believe Voice Activated Dialing apps are too memory and processor intensive for the BB.

I don't know about Bell or Rogers but Cingular has an excellent voice dialing service for 4.99/mo. Allows importing of address book. No training required. I don't love paying monthly, but since it's all there is...
Bell Mobility offers their VoiceNet voice dialling service on any handset for $5/month.

https://www.voicenet.ca
Old 01-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

I recommend installing a hands free bluetooth kit... I've got the Parrot CK3100 with my 8700c and I love it... does voice activated dialing

I've heard good things about the Motorola IHF1000 as well...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
roid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbay2002
I recommend installing a hands free bluetooth kit... I've got the Parrot CK3100 with my 8700c and I love it... does voice activated dialing

I've heard good things about the Motorola IHF1000 as well...

You can store numbers and names in the unit itself? Or are they just compatible with the voice activated dialing of a phone that has the function.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
jarthurs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250

Any that aren't carrier dependant? I may consider the VoiceNet from Bell, but I want options if I switch BB's in the next few months.

7250 - Bell Mobility
Waiting on a T3 BB from Rogers...
Old 01-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by roid
You can store numbers and names in the unit itself? Or are they just compatible with the voice activated dialing of a phone that has the function.

Yes, the Parrot stores numbers and names in the unit, and you just train it. It does have an option in the settings menu so that if you do have a phone with voice activated dialing built-in, you can use that.

I believe the Motorola IHF1000 has the same capability, but I can't say with absolute certainty.

I love my Parrot especially because of the voice activation feature. I will say that I have had some problems that when I add new phone numbers to my BB, it seems to wipe out some of the voice entries on the Parrot and I need to retrain.

I must say I did not like some of the features of the Parrot initially (it is not truly "hands-free", but it is "eyes-free", i.e. you do not have to take your eyes off the road to use it, because it has a voice built-in so you know what you're doing. Now that I'm used to it, I absolutely love it. It does not have voice-recognition of numbers, so if you want to dial 123-4567 you have to use the dial on the device, but it "speaks" the number to you as you dial to it. Same with your contacts, as you move down the contact list it will speak the name to you so you can keep your eyes on the road. Or you can train it to recognize the name of a contact so you can just say "Joe Smith" and it will dial Joe Smith. Once it starts dialing, it will automatically mute your stereo if you have it connected properly. If your radio is blaring, you have to speak REALLY LOUD into the mic, or turn down your stereo.

Last edited by mbay2002; 01-18-2006 at 06:10 PM..
Old 01-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #12
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbay2002
Yes, the Parrot stores numbers and names in the unit, and you just train it. It does have an option in the settings menu so that if you do have a phone with voice activated dialing built-in, you can use that.

I believe the Motorola IHF1000 has the same capability, but I can't say with absolute certainty.

I love my Parrot especially because of the voice activation feature. I will say that I have had some problems that when I add new phone numbers to my BB, it seems to wipe out some of the voice entries on the Parrot and I need to retrain.

I must say I did not like some of the features of the Parrot initially (it is not truly "hands-free", but it is "eyes-free", i.e. you do not have to take your eyes off the road to use it, because it has a voice built-in so you know what you're doing. Now that I'm used to it, I absolutely love it. It does not have voice-recognition of numbers, so if you want to dial 123-4567 you have to use the dial on the device, but it "speaks" the number to you as you dial to it. Same with your contacts, as you move down the contact list it will speak the name to you so you can keep your eyes on the road. Or you can train it to recognize the name of a contact so you can just say "Joe Smith" and it will dial Joe Smith. Once it starts dialing, it will automatically mute your stereo if you have it connected properly. If your radio is blaring, you have to speak REALLY LOUD into the mic, or turn down your stereo.
So do you still have to dial numbers like normal? This is a car kit right?

Old 01-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #13
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFreak
So do you still have to dial numbers like normal? This is a car kit right?
No, you do not have to dial the numbers like normal. Yes, it is a car kit. Look at the pictures of the CK3100 at http://www.parrot.biz/

I've tried to include one here... the dial in the middle is used for dialing numbers... you turn the dial, the Parrot will announce the function. I'm going from memory, but as you turn the dial, you'll get one that says "dial a number"... you then push the dial to select that function... then you turn the dial it will announce each number... so you dial up, eventually you'll get to 5, it will announce "five", your push the dial, then locate your next number, push the dial, etc. So, it's extremely easy to do without taking your eyes off the road, but it's not hands-free. It does have voice-recognition built in so that if you have trained it to recognize "John Smith" or "Home", you can do that hands free. First you say "phone" to get it to know you want to dial, then you say "John Smith".

The motorola IHF1000 apparently will recognize numbers, so you can say "dial 123-4567" and it will do it, completely hands-free. I have seen some reports that the motorola is more difficult to synch up with the 8700, but people are ultimately successful from what I've heard.

I've seen reviews from people that have tried both, and there are quirks with both the motorola and parrot depending on the reviewier. My experience is limited to the parrot, and I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parrot.jpg (6.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #14
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Pretty cool.

Closed Thread