rjpa
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telia DK
Question 3rd party email clients not using BES or BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there

Does there exist any good 3rd party email client that's not using BES or BIS? I need in order to access my gmail apps account. The one from Google doesn't work on my 8820 :( It just stopps at "0KB" anyone with the same error?

I'm running on a plain GPRS/EDGE dataplan since my carrier doesn't support BlackBerry. The only one here in Denmark is TDC but their plans are not for private individuals just for people who is running a business :(

So can I find a 3'rd party email client that supports either IMAP or Exchange that is NOT using BES or BIS? Please help me out.

Thanks

Rasmus
Old 07-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

LogicMail for BlackBerry – Trac
Old 07-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Your other choice is to install Opera Mini and use that to access GMail through the web.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
tbhuang2
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

You could also try Funambol.
-Threaded SMS
Old 07-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Is there any chance someone can do a step by step example how to set up a IMAP and Pop 3 account with this software? The documentation at the sight is hard to understand. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:19 AM   #6
tbhuang2

You can use this guide as a template for what to properly put in the fields. Be sure to uncheck MDS boxes as those are used for BES users.

I just tried it and successfully retrieved my Gmail, however I was disappointed after testing to find out that it is NOT push nor does it properly sync like IMAP should.
The funny thing is, it allows you to configure From, Reply-to, and even signature fields (awesome!); however, replying or composing any email cannot be found in any menu function! This is not a very useful program.

Funambol is a little better, but also suffers from some flaws: some emails do get pushed, but not all. The syncing of the read/unread status is a little finicky since it's not really being pushed. It also lets you compose and reply.

I only tried setting up IMAP with these two apps. Perhaps POP might be better.
-Threaded SMS

Last edited by tbhuang2; 07-10-2008 at 03:24 AM..
Old 07-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhuang2 View Post
You can use this guide as a template for what to properly put in the fields. Be sure to uncheck MDS boxes as those are used for BES users.

I just tried it and successfully retrieved my Gmail, however I was disappointed after testing to find out that it is NOT push nor does it properly sync like IMAP should.
The funny thing is, it allows you to configure From, Reply-to, and even signature fields (awesome!); however, replying or composing any email cannot be found in any menu function! This is not a very useful program.

Funambol is a little better, but also suffers from some flaws: some emails do get pushed, but not all. The syncing of the read/unread status is a little finicky since it's not really being pushed. It also lets you compose and reply.

I only tried setting up IMAP with these two apps. Perhaps POP might be better.
I guess I am going to stick with Blackberry email set up, its just for personal use anyway and it's mostly reliable (for me anyway). Until they make Logicmail or the other one better. It would be nice to have something that didn't go through another step (like the Blackberry email set up) that could be another potential point of failure. Or at least have some indication in an email saying Blackberry push email is down and being worked on right on our blackberry.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
It does "sync like IMAP should", but IMAP IDLE (aka "push") and automatic refreshing are currently not supported; the author is working on them. You can read a little about it here:

http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail/discussion/3/3

...as well as other discussion threads and in the project roadmap. You can see the 2.0 tree he's begun working on, which is an architectural shift which will allow better threading options:

http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail/wiki/design

One of the benefits of this redesign will be that IMAP IDLE will be able to be properly supported.

Quote:
Are you using the latest 1.01 version? These options are available and indeed do work, I use them with my work IMAP account without any problem. While reading an actual email, click the menu button and you will see Reply and Reply To All as choices, as well as Compose and Forward. Compose is also available from your main Inbox message list as a menu option.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
tbhuang2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Are you using the latest 1.01 version? These options are available and indeed do work, I use them with my work IMAP account without any problem. While reading an actual email, click the menu button and you will see Reply and Reply To All as choices, as well as Compose and Forward. Compose is also available from your main Inbox message list as a menu option.
I was indeed using version 1.01. I already deleted it but from what I remember, when viewing an email or my inbox the only context menus available to me included things like Properties and Delete, but I just couldn't find any compose, reply, forward, etc... very strange!
Another minor gripe is the program doesn't yet support notifications of any kind.
-Threaded SMS
Old 07-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
nonsequitur

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I was indeed using version 1.01. I already deleted it but from what I remember, when viewing an email or my inbox the only context menus available to me included things like Properties and Delete, but I just couldn't find any compose, reply, forward, etc... very strange!
Another minor gripe is the program doesn't yet support notifications of any kind.
You need to set up an outgoing profile separately. that tripped me up.
Closed Thread