Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
candyflossangels

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default From Blackberry 8520 to iPhone

Please Login to Remove!

I have a contract with Orange for my Blackberry Curve 8520, and I bought a new iPhone 3GS (so I know a sim card will fit in it) off eBay recently (as my iTouch broke and I quite like iPhones...didn't really think these issues through before I bought it!).

I quite want to use it, but don't want to have to take out a whole new contract, obviously.

My current contract includes a data plan (250mb), as far as I know not a Blackberry specific one, but it may be one, unlimited texts and 600 minutes. Can I insert this sim card into the iPhone to use it?

I imagine texting and calling will work, but it's the internet I'm slightly worried about.

And I know you have to activate iPhones when they're new. Will I have to do that?

Basically, if someone could help me and guide me through what to do, that would be wonderful, thank you!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Well, being a blackberry forum we could tell you how to transfer from iphone to blackberry; but your question would probably be best in an iphone forum about what you need to do with the iphone.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

You may need a different data plan for your iPhone then the one your have with your BlackBerry. For example, with AT&T in the US, there are different plans for each. I'd call your carrier to confirm. The pricing should be similar if the plans are different.

For the activation, all you need to do is put your SIM card in the device, install iTunes on your PC, connect the device to your PC and iTunes will walk you thru setting up the device. Pretty easy to do.

EDIT: Moved to Handheld Forum.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Oh, and this is the iPhone/iPad/iWhatever forum that I use:

iPhone, iPod touch and iPad Forums

Very friendly group there.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
candyflossangels

Model: 8520
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
You may need a different data plan for your iPhone then the one your have with your BlackBerry. For example, with AT&T in the US, there are different plans for each. I'd call your carrier to confirm. The pricing should be similar if the plans are different.

For the activation, all you need to do is put your SIM card in the device, install iTunes on your PC, connect the device to your PC and iTunes will walk you thru setting up the device. Pretty easy to do.

EDIT: Moved to Handheld Forum.
Well that's the main thing I'm confused about. However, they seem pretty similar. As far as I can tell, both use GPRS and EDGE... The only difference is the push email on the Blackberry, which I can't imagine is used by the iPhone.

If I activate the sim through iTunes, will that mean that it cannot be used in my Blackberry anymore?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflossangels View Post
Well that's the main thing I'm confused about. However, they seem pretty similar. As far as I can tell, both use GPRS and EDGE... The only difference is the push email on the Blackberry, which I can't imagine is used by the iPhone.
The iPhone sort of uses push technology. I say sort of because there are some instances where I don't get any mail in a folder unless I click on it (i.e., the Sent Items folder) and it will then download the emails I've sent. Where a BlackBerry automatically keeps everything in sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflossangels View Post
If I activate the sim through iTunes, will that mean that it cannot be used in my Blackberry anymore?
I may have the wording wrong here, but you're not actually activating the SIM with iTunes - you're activating the iPhone with iTunes. You will need to set up an iTunes account (get the credit card out) and the account is then tied to the iPhone. That way when you download a paid application via the App Store, it is tied to your iTunes account.

Make sense?