Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
exiled
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Exclamation MMC - Snap-In Issues

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all, new to the forums.
(And relatively new to BES administration)

We've recently upgraded our server to 4.0 and have no issues thus far (haven't added the HF's yet)

I've been trying to add the MMC Snap-In to my XP box, so i can administer the bes without remoting into the actual bes server.

When I add the snap in, it prompts for a mapi profile, and i use my default - then it asks me to auth to the mail server, and i authenticate with the bes service account email.

I then get an error: "Unable to get the IT policy list from database. Please ensure that the database is available, and the SQLServer is running"

Then it will list our bes server in the console, but it's yellow - no stats or anything, when i try to look at server stats it says it cant connect to the admin mailbox or i dont have permission, which i do.

The database is available, and the SQL server is running fine. I can connect to the SQLserver and the bes database through my console. Any help would be appreciated.

Running Bes 4.0 (No HF's) For exchange, MSSQL 7 in a mixed mode 5.5/2003 environment.

Thanks!

Last edited by exiled; 04-05-2005 at 08:53 AM..
Old 04-06-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
exiled
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bump - Can anyone assist with MMC console issues?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
sjgusmc21

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

exiled, I am in the same boat. All has gone smoothly until I tried to do the same exact thing as you did. Have you figured this out yet? Please help. Take care.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
exiled
Thumbs Must Hurt

No, i cannot get the snap in to work. And i cant find anything helpful anywhere on the net. It's beyond frustrating.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
El_Kabong

I love building 'God Consoles', where I can run everything from a single MMC interface. Unfortunately, the BES MMC requires the credentials and MAPI profile of the service account that was used to set up & manage BES. It won't let me use anything other than my BES Admin account to get in. Other than Remoting in and logging in with your BES Service Acct. credentials (which isn't 'too' much of an inconvenience), you might be able to build an MMC and use the 'run as', but I'm not sure whether it will play with your 'regular' user account's MAPI profile, which will be running on your workstation. My guess is that it would probably hang and not let you do what you need to do.

If the BES Service account is one that you use otherwise (which isn't recommended), you might be able to log in at the workstation, create the MAPI profile (which BES would recognize) and work from there. However, that sounds like more work than it is worth...

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
El_Kabong

Just found this on the RIM Site: Installing the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Management Software on an administrator or remote computer

Check Out the URL or go to their public KB site to search for the title: http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...emote+computer

Kind of convoluted, but it gets the job done (or so they say). I'd be interested to hear how it works out.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

1) make sure that your user account has database privaledges (I make mine the same as the BES service account)

2) when you create the MAPI profile, create a new one with the BES service account mailbox (I will assume you have Exchange administrative rights for your own user account, so you would have access to this mailbox)

3) thats all
Old 04-06-2005, 02:07 PM   #8
exiled
Thumbs Must Hurt

Jibi -

It appears the snag is this - We run all of our admin utilities through a seperate admin account (using run as) so when i doa run as on the mmc console, then add the bes snap in, and it prompts for a mapi profile it wont give me the option of the bes one i created, however when i run the console from the account im logged in as, it does give me both mapi profiles as an option.

Is there anyway to do a run as on the console and still be prompted for both mapi profiles?
Closed Thread