BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
slowlydrifting
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: .
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Curve screen vs. Pearl screen (size)

Please Login to Remove!

I'm currently using a Pearl and while I love it, I'm considering switching to a Curve. I think I'd like the bigger screen size... the full QWERTY might be a plus too, but I've gotten used to SureType so it's not a huge enticement. The 3.5mm headset jack vs the 2.5mm on the Pearl is a plus, too, since that way I can use any pair of earphones with it.

I don't use the browser that much but I do use it a bit and I think it would be nice to have a bigger screen. I'm not sure if this is a silly thing to switch devices for, though. Those of you who've used both, do you find the size of the Curve's screen that much better? Does it make browsing easier/better?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

I recently switched from a Pearl to a Curve.... mainly for the full QWERTY keyboard (SureType is pretty great, but nothing beats QWERTY).

Anyway, the screen is larger, yes. In terms of being "better," I think that's subjective. It does have a higher resolution because it's wider, but it's the same number of pixels per unit of measure (so it's basically like they just added additional pixels onto the screen to make it wider). The display is just as vivid and bright, and it displays the same number of colors.

I've found that I like it a little better, especially in the message application (you can see more of the subject line since there's more room to display it), and browsing is slightly nicer.

Anyway, if you want more room on your screen, the Curve will certainly provide it. And at first, the QWERTY will be a little awkward - the buttons are smaller (there's a lot more of them) than the Pearl, so you have to learn to be a little more careful when typing, but I got used to that very quickly (for a while, I was mashing 2-3 keys at the same time! )... but you'll love QWERTY (no more selecting which word you REALLY mean!).

Hope this helps!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
slowlydrifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrzejewski View Post
I recently switched from a Pearl to a Curve.... mainly for the full QWERTY keyboard (SureType is pretty great, but nothing beats QWERTY).

Anyway, the screen is larger, yes. In terms of being "better," I think that's subjective. It does have a higher resolution because it's wider, but it's the same number of pixels per unit of measure (so it's basically like they just added additional pixels onto the screen to make it wider). The display is just as vivid and bright, and it displays the same number of colors.

I've found that I like it a little better, especially in the message application (you can see more of the subject line since there's more room to display it), and browsing is slightly nicer.

Anyway, if you want more room on your screen, the Curve will certainly provide it. And at first, the QWERTY will be a little awkward - the buttons are smaller (there's a lot more of them) than the Pearl, so you have to learn to be a little more careful when typing, but I got used to that very quickly (for a while, I was mashing 2-3 keys at the same time! )... but you'll love QWERTY (no more selecting which word you REALLY mean!).

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the helpful response! Yeah, by "better" I more meant more convenient/easier to browse with than better quality. I think I'll like the extra screen space. And while I think it'll take a day or two to adjust to full QWERTY (I've never used one before, except my mom's and that has only been briefly) I am looking forward to not having to select which word I really mean, haha.

Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlydrifting View Post
I'm currently using a Pearl and while I love it, I'm considering switching to a Curve. Those of you who've used both, do you find the size of the Curve's screen that much better? Does it make browsing easier/better?
_____

I have both, and they each have their advantages.

In your case I do not see where moving to a Curve would be that advantageous. Personally I really like SureType and the more you use it the better you get. Yes, once in a while you have to choose between the words you are presented with, however I do not mind that at all. It becomes second nature. The distinct advantage of SureType (at least for me) is that I can type so much faster with less typos, than on a qwerty. Don't get me wrong, I do not have a problem with qwerty, it's just that SureType offers another advantage. Especially with the Pearl, the size of the device combined with the SureType keyboard allows one to use it one handed.

The Curve is a two handed device. So if you are used to one handed usage, the Curve is not for you. Also the small size of the Pearl 8100 is so much nicer for carrying in your pocket.

Display Size:
Yes the display on the Curve is larger, however when I put it side by side with my Pearl the brightness is the same. So therefore the only difference is size. It has no effect on making browsing easier or better. Obviously you get a little more screen real estate however that is not enough to justify the cost involved to switch, unless you are absolutely focused on having the largest screen. Personally I like both the Pearl and the Curve which is why I have both.

I like the Pearl for the weekends & evenings where casual usage is the way I will be using it. Small & light is hard to beat.

Good Luck!
Old 02-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
slowlydrifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
_____

I have both, and they each have their advantages.

In your case I do not see where moving to a Curve would be that advantageous. Personally I really like SureType and the more you use it the better you get. Yes, once in a while you have to choose between the words you are presented with, however I do not mind that at all. It becomes second nature. The distinct advantage of SureType (at least for me) is that I can type so much faster with less typos, than on a qwerty. Don't get me wrong, I do not have a problem with qwerty, it's just that SureType offers another advantage. Especially with the Pearl, the size of the device combined with the SureType keyboard allows one to use it one handed.

The Curve is a two handed device. So if you are used to one handed usage, the Curve is not for you. Also the small size of the Pearl 8100 is so much nicer for carrying in your pocket.

Display Size:
Yes the display on the Curve is larger, however when I put it side by side with my Pearl the brightness is the same. So therefore the only difference is size. It has no effect on making browsing easier or better. Obviously you get a little more screen real estate however that is not enough to justify the cost involved to switch, unless you are absolutely focused on having the largest screen. Personally I like both the Pearl and the Curve which is why I have both.

I like the Pearl for the weekends & evenings where casual usage is the way I will be using it. Small & light is hard to beat.

Good Luck!
Thanks archer! The Pearl is good for using with one hand and it's the perfect size for when I'm going out at night or talking on it. If I bought a Curve I would keep my Pearl as well and just switch devices as needed. Like you said, though, I don't know if the extra screen size would be enough to justify the cost of buying the second device, but I sure am tempted!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
yparlor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: At&T

I have used both and originally I made the move from the Pearl to the Curve for the same reasons you have mentioned - larger screen and full QWERTY keyboard...

It is nice having the larger screen, not only for web browsing but also typing emails; it is nice to be able to see more text on the screen as you put something together. Getting used to the full keyboard was definitely an adjustment and I too found myself mashing away at the keys for the first few weeks I had it. The suretype is really nice, especially for text messaging. Also, the fact that the pearl is smaller makes it a usuable device with only one free hand - one hand won't get you too far on a Curve, its just too wide.

Having one of both would be nice because the size of the Pearl was perfect but the Curve is not a bulky phone by any means. I still carry it in my pocket everywhere and it doesn't bother me. It's about the same thickness, just a little wider. Overall, I would say that the screen quality is about the same as is the overall usefullness of each device. The Curve is just a little bit nicer of a phone all the way around. Hands down its the best device I've ever used and would recommend it for anyone who's using the phone for more than just social purposes.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Archer - this is off-topic but I'm curious... when you switch between devices, how do you handle your email? Do you have to switch your PIN in BIS every time?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
slowlydrifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yparlor View Post
I have used both and originally I made the move from the Pearl to the Curve for the same reasons you have mentioned - larger screen and full QWERTY keyboard...

It is nice having the larger screen, not only for web browsing but also typing emails; it is nice to be able to see more text on the screen as you put something together. Getting used to the full keyboard was definitely an adjustment and I too found myself mashing away at the keys for the first few weeks I had it. The suretype is really nice, especially for text messaging. Also, the fact that the pearl is smaller makes it a usuable device with only one free hand - one hand won't get you too far on a Curve, its just too wide.

Having one of both would be nice because the size of the Pearl was perfect but the Curve is not a bulky phone by any means. I still carry it in my pocket everywhere and it doesn't bother me. It's about the same thickness, just a little wider. Overall, I would say that the screen quality is about the same as is the overall usefullness of each device. The Curve is just a little bit nicer of a phone all the way around. Hands down its the best device I've ever used and would recommend it for anyone who's using the phone for more than just social purposes.
Thanks! lol, it would be nice to have both devices. I usually carry a purse so I don't mind the fact that the Curve is a bit bigger, especially since it's still small enough to be comfortable to use as a phone (I use my Blackberry as my main cell phone as well, I don't carry two devices). One thing I know for sure is that now that I have a Blackberry I could never go back to a regular phone. ;)
Old 02-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
slowlydrifting

Quote:
Archer - this is off-topic but I'm curious... when you switch between devices, how do you handle your email? Do you have to switch your PIN in BIS every time?
This is a good question; I'm curious about how those who switch devices regularly handle email as well. I use hosted BES and BIS; my understanding is you can use the "switch device wizard" to switch from one to another (although I don't know if you would still have to switch your PIN in BIS every time?), but I think for me it would be a pain to switch back and forth too frequently so I would probably just end up using one device more than the other if I had both.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not to mention the fact that if you're on BIS (and maybe BES too?), you'll have different messages on different devices, depending on what device is active when you receive it...
Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
slowlydrifting

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that if you're on BIS (and maybe BES too?), you'll have different messages on different devices, depending on what device is active when you receive it...
Yeah, I'm on both BIS and hosted-BES...that thought occurred to me, too. One possible solution I thought of was to make a backup of everything on one phone and restore it on the other when you switch devices (ie: back up my Pearl, restore it on my Curve. Then if new msgs come in on the Curve, backup on that one and restore on the Pearl when I switch back). I occasionally backup my Blackberry with the Desktop Manager (including all emails and text messages). Is it possible to backup things on one BB and restore it on another? If so, that would be one possible solution. It might be a bit of a pain if you're switching frequently, though.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes - you can back up one device and restore it on the other - at least, I was able to do that when I switched from my Pearl to my Curve, I don't know what would happen if you were switching from an older device to a newer one... the Pearl and Curve both run OS 4.2...
Closed Thread