BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
D2NK

Model: N/A
Default WTF?? Sprint Vision Pack vs BB Data Price??

Please Login to Remove!

OK, I am with Sprint currently. I know I am getting robbed, but what the heck. I am needing a BlackBerry for work and life so looking at theirs. At $450 it hurts. So I figured heck, I will ADD a line! I mean then I get the phone for like $150 after rebates! But my problem, when I asked the CS rep on the phone she said $40 for the BB plan. Hmm. She was saying about tethering it. I said I dont WANT tether ability. I wont use my BB as a modem, just use the handset (as in wont connect it to my laptop.. I live in Jacksonville, we have TONS of hotspots!) so then she said its only $20 for Unlimited. So I am browsing their latest priceplans and they have this:

Sprint Power Vision Access Pack:
UNLIMITED web and data access
Email and IM
Etc.

So everything I need yet I need to pay 20-40 for a BB plan?? WHY?

It kills me. Its like a gas station charging someone with a V8 engine more for gas than someone with a inline 4. WHY? I mean whats yalls experience with this?

And the weirdest thing.. my phone bill will only go up like $25 by adding a line, BB plan, and getting 1400 minutes vs 900. Good job there Sprint.. sigh.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
untjoker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2NK
OK, I am with Sprint currently. I know I am getting robbed, but what the heck. I am needing a BlackBerry for work and life so looking at theirs. At $450 it hurts. So I figured heck, I will ADD a line! I mean then I get the phone for like $150 after rebates! But my problem, when I asked the CS rep on the phone she said $40 for the BB plan. Hmm. She was saying about tethering it. I said I dont WANT tether ability. I wont use my BB as a modem, just use the handset (as in wont connect it to my laptop.. I live in Jacksonville, we have TONS of hotspots!) so then she said its only $20 for Unlimited. So I am browsing their latest priceplans and they have this:

Sprint Power Vision Access Pack:
UNLIMITED web and data access
Email and IM
Etc.

So everything I need yet I need to pay 20-40 for a BB plan?? WHY?

It kills me. Its like a gas station charging someone with a V8 engine more for gas than someone with a inline 4. WHY? I mean whats yalls experience with this?

And the weirdest thing.. my phone bill will only go up like $25 by adding a line, BB plan, and getting 1400 minutes vs 900. Good job there Sprint.. sigh.

The reason why is because you use a lot more data on a BB. THe Vision pack is lame because most of the phones can only go to mobile sites and therefore don't use near as much data, nor do they push email.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
D2NK

well was the rep at least right when she told me it was only $20 a month unlimited since I dont want to tether it?

Maybe a Treo would be a smarter move.. who knows.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Well, you absolutley do have the choice NOT to purchase the BB Data plan. No plan, no email, no data, no internet, no tethering, no hotspots, but you do have a phone and SMS without it. Your choice.

Sorta like finding out you have to buy oil, tires, wiper blades, transmission fluid, and coolant for your car.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Carrier: N/A

Really has nothing to do with it, reality is this: BlackBerry's communicate through RIM's secure servers and only RIM's servers via carrier agreements. Without a BlackBerry Data Plan all you have is voice and SMS end of story and there's no workaround.
Quote:
Originally Posted by untjoker
The reason why is because you use a lot more data on a BB. THe Vision pack is lame because most of the phones can only go to mobile sites and therefore don't use near as much data, nor do they push email.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
D2NK

OK, I understand that. So can I get it for $20 a month if I dont tether?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

If they really offer a Blackberry data plan for $20 you can. However, I'm guessing that's the rate for a Vision plan. Anything other than a Blackberry data pplan will be worthless with a Blackberry.

Quote:
I mean whats yalls experience with this?
I pay $40 with Cingular for BES data. If you really must have the cheapest data rates then you should consider switching to TMO or consider a device other than the Blackberry. TMO's BIS-only BB data plan is $20/month.

Quote:
I am needing a BlackBerry for work and life so looking at theirs. At $450 it hurts.
If you need a Blackberry for work then why aren't they paying for it?

Last edited by takeshi; 02-22-2007 at 09:34 PM..
Old 02-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
D2NK

She said it was a BB plan,just non-tether version. She didnt mention Vision, I saw that on my own after the call. But we ALL know how right CS Reps can be so I figgure I would ask since someone here has to have that rate plan if it exists.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
stuckonduhmode

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Hey guys, I'm new here, but I keep reading that the BB isn't able to connect to the internet without a BB plan with Sprint. Now I may be an exception, but I had the SERO plan and I could go on the internet using Opera Mini. I could also use Google Maps and BB maps.

Here's the kicker though. You CAN'T install anything OTA since it tries to invoke the BB browser which requires service packs which only the BB plan provides. So basically you have to manually install those through the desktop manager. BB maps works fine while Gmaps had java exception errors whenever I tried to get directions. It worked fine finding things around my location though.

After 1/2 a month of frustration trying to get some programs converted to alx/jad/jar files so I could install them, I gave in and got the BB plan. Opera doesn't even compare in speed to the BB browser. And it feels so much nicer to do installations OTA.

Does anyone know for sure if tethering is allowed on the BB data plan? I tried it and it works fine with Sprint connection manager. I've read that the plan and elsewhere that it does include PAM but I just don't want to be caught with extraneous data charges.

Anyway, I think she gave misinfo about the BB plan being $20 though. I bet that's Vision. If you want to save money then yes, T-mobile would be the way to go. I believe they have a plan with 1000 anytime minutes, no nights and weekends, and the BB plan which includes unlimited internet, email, and text for $59.99. And I believe their stand alone BIS is 29.99.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:31 AM   #10
onth

Model: 9700
PIN: G PONG
Carrier: AT&T

The smartest move is to ditch Sprint and switch to TMOB or Cingular or any other carrier is better than Sprint.

I have been with them for 9 years and being ripped off for 9 Years. Yes, I was tight to them for some personal reason but now, I am all happy without the word Sprint in my life. Their CS is the worst and know nothing better than BS.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:16 AM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Not sure what you mean about hot spots, but BBs do not have wireless capability so hot spots are no factor, unless you were thinking of connecting to a hot spot with a laptop, not the BB.

Another factor to consider is that Sprint has less coverage nation wide then either Verizon or Cingular. Can't say that about T-Mobile as I don't know their network. I assume from your post however that you must be happy with Sprints coverage.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
D2NK

I am the IT Admin for Bailey's Powerhouse Gym.. we have 10 clubs here in Jax I take care of so I dont have to leave the area often. And yes, I am happy with Sprints coverage and sound quality. And thats the ONLY thing I am happy with them for. And thats enough to keep me because dropping calls annoy the heck out of me!

And yes, hotspots are for my laptop. I know some companys have WiFi built into their BB's but not Sprints.. of course. Another thing I like about staying with Sprint is the 8703e and TeleNav. I live in the largest land mass city in the World, and have only lived here for 5 months.. believe me its EASY to get lost and the GPS will be heaven for me.

I am going to get it today and will see what they say. I am not looking forward to it because in all my time with Sprint the 2 things I hate are their prices and their people. Be it CS on the phone or store reps.. they have NO knowledge and just annoy the hell out of you, but you do what you have to do. Maybe 6 months from now I will just go somewhere else when someone has a better machine and better prices, dang Sprint to heck!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
I know some companys have WiFi built into their BB's but not Sprints..
As stated just above... no they don't.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
laser

Model: 8703E

Quote:
She said it was a BB plan,just non-tether version. She didnt mention Vision, I saw that on my own after the call. But we ALL know how right CS Reps can be so I figgure I would ask since someone here has to have that rate plan if it exists.
The rep was wrong. The email won't work without the $40 BB plan.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #15
rick chi-town

Model: 9650
PIN: pin me to the wall.
Carrier: Sprint

Not really sure why you stay with sprint... sounds like you hate 'em!! Move to a different carrier, sounds like it would alleviate alot of your problems. I just got my gf a Pearl thru t-mobile... she really didn't need a BB, but really liked the Pearl, so we looked at it. She gets 1000 minutes, BIS for her e-mails right to her BlackBerry and insurance on the phone... all for like $64./mo!! I even had to double check all the details. Add to all that, everytime we've called customer service (to check this package!!), they've been super helpful, very professional.
So, there you go... just my .02 cents!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #16
onth

Model: 9700
PIN: G PONG
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
And thats enough to keep me because dropping calls annoy the heck out of me!

believe me its EASY to get lost and the GPS will be heaven for me.

I am going to get it today and will see what they say. I am not looking forward to it because in all my time with Sprint the 2 things I hate are their prices and their people. Be it CS on the phone or store reps.. they have NO knowledge and just annoy the hell out of you, but you do what you have to do. Maybe 6 months from now I will just go somewhere else when someone has a better machine and better prices, dang Sprint to heck!
1. I am with TMOB for 4 months now and have not had a single drop calls.

2. With the Pearl or any BB, you can download Google Maps for direction. Or an alternative way is to pay a couple hundred $ for a GPS for a one time deal as a long term investment instead of being rip off by Sprint on a monthly basis.

3. Any carrier have better price, better machine, better Support than Sprint. If you changed plan or make any changes to your a/c, you are tight with them for another 2 years. Dont talk about leaving them in the next 6 months unless you want to pay them $200 termination fee whilst you can use that money on a better machine.

I gets 25% off monthly from Sprint with my corporate a/c, that save me about $30 per month. When I still have 6 months contract left with them. I chose to pay them $350 for 2 lines and get rid of Sprint from my life for good. I have had enough of Sprint.

Last edited by onth; 02-23-2007 at 02:49 PM..
Old 02-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #17
D2NK

Went and picked up my 8703 today. Like it so far. And web/email only runs me $15. If you don't have a BES, all you need is Vision to get unlimited email/web/IM/etc.

$25 a month I saved made it worth staying with them.. plus getting my BB for $150.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #18
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Will you please let us all know how it works using your BB without the Blackberry Data Plan, i.e. unlimited email/web/IM/etc.?

You look at the Sprint website and it tells you very clearly to operate the BB with data, e-mail, etc., you are required to have what they actually call the Blackberry Data Pack.

Last edited by JSanders; 02-23-2007 at 05:17 PM..
Old 02-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #19
D2NK

Will do. When I was hooking it up the manager asked me if I would be using it as a modem or with BES. I said no as I have a card for my laptop or use a hotspot and our company doesnt have a BES, asked why. He said unlimited as a modem was $40 and BES was $40 otherwise I can just use the Vision package for $15 and get my unlimited email and web. So thats what he signed me up for. All the managers there were switched to BB and thats what they use. Will let you know how it works when its up.. it can take a day to get Vision up I guess.. dern em!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Hey, if it works, it works. Good luck.
Closed Thread