BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
EBlanco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9350
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Oil Spilled on my Phone!! What do I do??

Please Login to Remove!

A scented oil diffuser was tipped over by my phone. It spilled on my phone.. what the heck do I do?! Help!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
deano_185

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

remove the back, and put it in whatever the best position is to drain any liquid that entered your device.

if your device was on during the spill, and if its shorted something, i'm afraid its probably all over.

keep the phone turned off the next 48 hours and prey like buggery!

cheers
Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
EBlanco
Thumbs Must Hurt

the phone is working perfectly, but you can see the oil under the screen. the touch screen hasnt been affected at all. is this a good sign?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
deano_185

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

i was actually thinking something like that might happen. the best thing about spilling oil is that its a lubricant, it doens't absorb into things naturally, it runs along them. unlike something like cordial which would have totalled your phone instantly.

so if your lucky enough, it might just all drain out of your phone without leaving a mark. best thing you can do is encourage that. if some oil hits a live circuit and shorts it while your phone is on, you will most likely loose the device.

(an oil spill happened to me once with a *very* expensive watch, granted there were no electronics in that though
Old 06-03-2009, 04:34 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

If you are up to it disassemble the device and clean out any oil that you can! Use a dry lint free cloth, be very careful to dab and not wipe. If you can find something to displace the oil and not ruin the electronics that would work best
Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
blackberryfront
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530

Oil is tough, no easy way around it. I've saved my phone from water before but my old Pearl got trumpet oil all over it, thanks to my son. Still worked but screen was hard to read. You could try the rice method although I'm not sure how well it will work with oil - you have nothing to lose though at this point. Do you have insurance?

How to Save a Wet Blackberry
Old 06-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I would be inclined to give the device an alcohol bath (Isopropyl.) This could well clean up the oil in areas that you may not be able to reach. Obviously the battery should be removed prior to attempting this. I have heard of one person who had some success with this method, trying to clean up a sticky spill.

From Wikipedia; Isopropyl alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uses

Isopropyl alcohol is cheaply available. Like acetone, it dissolves a wide range of nonpolar compounds. It is also relatively nontoxic and dries (evaporates) quickly. Thus it is used widely as a solvent and as a cleaning fluid (for dissolving lipophilic contaminants such as oil). Examples of this use include cleaning electronic devices [...]
Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
EBlanco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Question

I thought about disassembling it. I've done this before on other phones.

Is there a step by step site with pictures that I could see?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBlanco View Post
I thought about disassembling it. I've done this before on other phones.

Is there a step by step site with pictures that I could see?
BlackBerry Storm 9500/9530 repair tutorial - Motorola, LG, SonyEricsson, Alcatel, Accessories Store, 3G, NEC, Nokia, Mobiado,

water is one thing....

but oil is something different...does this oil wash off your hands completely with water alone ? if so, rubbing alcohol might work to clean up the device. but if it's similar to vegetable or corn oil or even motor oil, then i would just scrap the phone and get another one....

in the interim, i would recommend complete dis assembly and cleaning. if there is liquid inside the display, then it's probably better to get a replacement display.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
neutrax
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: verizon

oil doesnt conduct electricity cost affective dismantle the phone COMPLETELY no power to any circuits and clean thoroughly with rubbing alcohol. the device should completely dry by time you put it back together on the otherside you take the risk of damaging parts of the phone in taking it apart but if you do your in the same situation you still need a new phone but its something you can try if you are detailed with cleaning (i mean half a box of cotton swabs/ balls and paper towels and quite a large amount of alcohol you should be able to remove all of the alcohol if you need a new screen i would suggest a new device the screens are ungodly expensive comparable to a new phone. if you saved everything to your memory card you should be fine
Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

If you save your Storm, PLEASE do author a well thought out thread detailing the entire process.

I hope your Storm recovers!

Verizon 9530
Closed Thread