BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
JadeLiCat

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default How do you transfer music from your computer to your Blackberry Storm?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all, I'm new here and I've owned my Blackberry Storm for pretty much about a month.

Anyway, can anyone here explain to me (without using coding or anything that will probably go over my head) if it's possible to transfer music from my PC to my Blackberry. And if you can do that, can you tell me how I can make whatever song I have into a ringtone?

I really could use the help here and would greatly appreciate any help anyone out there can give me.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange

Of course you can transfer music to your Storm. If you installed the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then connect your Storm to the PC and run DM.
If you don't like the DM or if you didn't install it, then go to Options -> Memory, and Enable Storage Mode Support (make sure that it says "On"), and then connect your phone to the PC. You will see a window pop-up on your PC, it's just like you would connect a USB Flash Drive.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

I use BlackBerry - BlackBerry Media Sync – Tuned Up
Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Watoosy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlok View Post
Of course you can transfer music to your Storm. If you installed the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then connect your Storm to the PC and run DM.
If you don't like the DM or if you didn't install it, then go to Options -> Memory, and Enable Storage Mode Support (make sure that it says "On"), and then connect your phone to the PC. You will see a window pop-up on your PC, it's just like you would connect a USB Flash Drive.
My Mass Storage Mode Support is set as 'on'. But my Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected is set as 'No'. Should the second one be yes?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoosy View Post
My Mass Storage Mode Support is set as 'on'. But my Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected is set as 'No'. Should the second one be yes?
No. Mine is set to "No" and I don't have to use the DM. I just see my Storm just like a flash drive.
"Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" is probably useful if you set the "Mass Storage Mode Support" to No. The A.E.M.S.M. sets the M.S.M.S. to Yes when you connect the Storm to the PC, and when you will disconnect the Storm from the PC, the M.S.M.S. will be set back to No.
Please note that you should set your M.S.M.S. to "Yes" because it helps you free some memory.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
project86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

I just use a card reader. Available anywhere... Drag and drop the MP3's or whatever audio format you want that is Blackberry compatible. I don't use any software or anything, except for the Blackberry Desktop Manager. You CAN use the Desktop Manager which is what I do so I don't have to take out the card.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
JadeLiCat

I have the Blackberry Desktop Manager, but which icon do I use? The media one? And if so, which one do I pick from there, the media manager or the media sync? I don't have iTunes, just alot of music burned from CDs onto my comp that I want to use as ringtones for my Blackberry.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

It's really easier if you enable mass media mode and transfer songs using Windows Explorer. This should help -- it has instructions for both methods.

How do I add media files to my microSD card? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 05-16-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
xtreme__boi
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20CAC0E8
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
It's really easier if you enable mass media mode and transfer songs using Windows Explorer. This should help -- it has instructions for both methods.

As I do!

PIN: 20CAC0E8 Go on, Send me a PIN msg
Old 05-16-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeLiCat View Post
I have the Blackberry Desktop Manager, but which icon do I use? The media one? And if so, which one do I pick from there, the media manager or the media sync? I don't have iTunes, just alot of music burned from CDs onto my comp that I want to use as ringtones for my Blackberry.
I suggest Media Manager, but there are many ways to transfer music. I don't know what's so hard. Look up these guys posted some simple and efficient ways to add media files to your BlackBerry.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
ChezDigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

Or you can plug your microSD card into and SD card adapter, and then just plug it into the SD slot on your PC, if you have one. Then just drag and drop files and folders accordingly.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post

Awesome suggestion, thank you. I've been using the Roxio Media Manager which in my opinion is greatly lacking with respect to speed and ease of use, so this makes things a lot easier in my world.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
peteyspambucket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

OK, I think the BlackBerry Media Sync program is absolutely the best for people who are using iTunes for storage of music files and playlists. Media Sync helps to manage the memory usage on your microSD (or handset memory) as well as syncs your iTunes playlists intact with album cover artwork. AFAIK, none of the other media sync programs do this cover art inclusion unless you actually embed the album art manually into each MP3 file. With BlackBerry Media Sync, everything is a total snap with iTunes.

I've used Roxio and found it to be very messy. Not sure why it seems people want to do things the hard way with other software or doing file management/drag-drop methods, etc, which require further collation/management once you get them onto your device in order to listen to them as a playlist.
BlackBerry 7100t unlocked
Old 05-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
mwinget

Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
OK, I think the BlackBerry Media Sync program is absolutely the best for people who are using iTunes for storage of music files and playlists. Media Sync helps to manage the memory usage on your microSD (or handset memory) as well as syncs your iTunes playlists intact with album cover artwork. AFAIK, none of the other media sync programs do this cover art inclusion unless you actually embed the album art manually into each MP3 file. With BlackBerry Media Sync, everything is a total snap with iTunes.
I completely agree with this. This makes my blackberry feel more like a media player like my iphone.

BTW, I've completely converted to the Curve from my iPhone. I've often considered going back, but the features and useability of the Curve makes it a hands down winner.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyspambucket View Post
Not sure why it seems people want to do things the hard way with other software or doing file management/drag-drop methods, etc, which require further collation/management once you get them onto your device in order to listen to them as a playlist.
I'm guessing in some cases it's because the person doesn't have the BlackBerry Media Sync application, like me for instance.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 AM   #16
peteyspambucket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (7100t)

Hehe ok then install that baby already. You'll like it!
BlackBerry 7100t unlocked
Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #17
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyspambucket View Post
Wirelessly posted (7100t)

Hehe ok then install that baby already. You'll like it!
...and you were right, BB Media Sync is the easiest solution. Thanks!