BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
digitalprty

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I've had an ipod touch pretty much since they first came out. (I had the 1st gen. 16gig for about a year, but now I have the 2nd gen. 32gig.) I believe that it is a great music and video player, and a very effective wifi machine.

I've never had a touchscreen phone and I have just upgraded to my first Blackberry (8330) a few days ago. When it comes to a phone, I believe that mechanical buttons are the way to go. Texting and E-mailing will always feel better with "real" buttons.

The combination of these two devices takes care of all the mobile needs that I will come into contact with:
Blackberry - phone calls, texting, e-mail, calendar
Ipod Touch - music, videos, internet, apps

This combination gives me the best of both worlds instead of watering down the functionality of one device to consolidate them into just one.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #22
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have the 8320 and a 2nd gen 16gig touch. love them both. the combo, for me, is the way to go. I've been so happy with my curve that I almost didn't get the touch but I finally gave my husband back his mini and upgraded to the touch. great media (obviously) and internet and games, lots of whiz-bang for my buck. but email and typing on the touch, again for me, is almost torture. I never knew how much I liked my qwerty curve till I tried to type on the touch.

like everyone has said - your mileage may vary. go play at a store, borrow a friends, decide for yourself. good luck, let us know how it comes out.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #23
cojo1260

Carrier: sprint

imhave both and am satisfied
Old 04-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #24
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

I don't get it. You have a curve, why would you need to carry an ipod as well?

Really....music, videos? You can do that on the curve. My only reasoning is if you want a tocuh screen device, or ulove the apps. Other than that, why carry two?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #25
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

i would much rather use the curve and ipod touch combo simply because i can have the customizable apps and loads of music on the ipod, while also having the features of a blackberry that the iphone doesnt have. For example, i use a lot of MMS messaging.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #26
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ney for your thoughts
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
I don't get it. You have a curve, why would you need to carry an ipod as well?

Really....music, videos? You can do that on the curve. My only reasoning is if you want a tocuh screen device, or ulove the apps. Other than that, why carry two?
If I had the Bold or the soon to be released Niagara on Sprint, I might not be as interested in the combo of the Curve/iPod Touch. However, I like to watch movies/videos a lot on my iPod, and as nice as the screen is on the Curve it doesn't compare to the iPod for movie viewing, at least IMHO. I actually don't carry my iPod too much, instead using it to watch video at night when I go to bed, or when I travel.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #27
jovanthakid
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: tmobile

stay with the bb...if you want to "consolidate" then get an 8gig sd for your phone and youll b good
Old 04-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #28
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovanthakid View Post
stay with the bb...if you want to "consolidate" then get an 8gig sd for your phone and youll b good
If you are replying to me, just to clarify the Niagara coming to Sprint is a BlackBerry. I'm not planning on leaving the Berry life.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #29
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330m
PIN: Ask
Carrier: US Cellular

Funny, I was just recently having a similar discussion in another forum.

For me, my cellular phone is a phone first, and anything else second. For that reason, and that reason alone, I could not own an iPhone, flat out period!

My best friend and his wife have both succumbed to the "follow the herd" marketing of the iPhone, and call quality when I am speaking with either of them has suffered greatly from their previous cell phones. For the record, he was on a Windows-based Treo with Sprint, and she was on an unlocked Motorola RIZR with AT&T.

Last night was a perfect example. My friend called on his way home. Over the course of a 25 minute call, as he was driving homeward from Chicago, he dropped twice, and faded in and out countless times. This was a route over which we've spoken numerous times without incident when he owned his Treo. If you cannot get reception in the Chicago market, then your phone is pretty much garbage IMHO.

Yes, the Safari browser is pretty nice, and if you want to do WiFi, you can view your YouTube videos much better over the iPhone or iTouch much better than they will appear on a Curve.

My solution to this is...

I use my Curve as my primary phone/email/text, etc device when I am out and about. If I want to stop at Starbucks, Mickey D's, Panera, etc, to take advantage of WiFi and maybe catch a YouTube video, I don't even bother messing with a small player (I have a Sandisk for such purposes BTW). I whip out my Acer Aspire One. Loaded with both Windows XP and Ubuntu Jaunty Linux, it is far more capable than the iTouch or iPhone, and at least when I'm on the Linux side, far more secure as well! Prior to the Aspire One, I had the 7" Asus Eee PC 4G Surf, but the little Acer just gives me more flexibility.

If you absolutely, positively feel that you just HAVE to be a follower, then join the Apple herd. Otherwise though, there are alternatives out there. Use your imagination. That is why your Higher Power gave it to you!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #30
tommy950

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

its matter of personal opinion. use iphone for 2 weeks and if you don't like it exchange it back for a blackberry. Personally I wouldn't want to carry 2 devices in my pocket unless I had always with me a bag.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #31
haephaestus
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: head, Zippy
Carrier: Verizon

I've had my BB and Ipod Touch for a few months and couldn't be happier carrying both devices. I used to satisfy most of my work and entertainment needs strictly on the BB (email, phone, time management, music, audiobooks, video, book-reading, etc...). It worked great if I didn't mind charging up my phone twice a day and sometimes hypermiling it when I couldn't, that is, until I got stuck at an airport without a charger thanks to an extended layover.

So I upgraded my Nano, which had been gathering dust thanks to the BB, to an Ipod Touch, and now I have the benefit of being able to work and to entertain myself without worrying about running out of juice for a pretty long time. My BB is mostly for calls, email, and time management, while I've relegated all my music, audiobooks, book-reading, and video to the Ipod Touch. I have to admit, the Ipod Touch screen is gorgeous and sharp. And with fewer apps on my BB taking up space, it has been running better.

I really don't mind carrying both devices as they are now serving the purposes they were originally built to serve. The Ipod is pretty slim in the pocket and my BB, well, when I don't have it, my body is all out of sorts and seriously missing it, as if it were a body part. It's the best of both worlds, with none of the bad of either platform. Hope this helps!

Cheers!
-h
Old 04-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #32
ejmccartin

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by haephaestus View Post
I've had my BB and Ipod Touch for a few months and couldn't be happier carrying both devices.

and my BB, well, when I don't have it, my body is all out of sorts and seriously missing it, as if it were a body part. It's the best of both worlds, with none of the bad of either platform. Hope this helps!

Cheers!
-h
exactly!
Old 04-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #33
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by haephaestus View Post
I've had my BB and Ipod Touch for a few months and couldn't be happier carrying both devices. I used to satisfy most of my work and entertainment needs strictly on the BB (email, phone, time management, music, audiobooks, video, book-reading, etc...). It worked great if I didn't mind charging up my phone twice a day and sometimes hypermiling it when I couldn't, that is, until I got stuck at an airport without a charger thanks to an extended layover.

Cheers!
-h
Of course, you could have bought an extra OEM battery through Amazon for five bucks, much smaller, but without the Apple "cool" factor attached to it. Oh yes, a charger for the spare battery, with power supply and from the same source, would have set you back less than ten bucks additional.

For those that plan on really being in the boondocks, but do not want to become part of the Apple herd, there's always the 3GJUICE "MAJOR MOJO" 5400mAh battery backup "juicer." It will set you back less than half the price of a Touch, and it will give your BB about three additional charges before needing to be replenished itself. That, and a spare battery, could take you to the mountaintop!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #34
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmith3530 View Post
Of course, you could have bought an extra OEM battery through Amazon for five bucks, much smaller, but without the Apple "cool" factor attached to it. Oh yes, a charger for the spare battery, with power supply and from the same source, would have set you back less than ten bucks additional.

For those that plan on really being in the boondocks, but do not want to become part of the Apple herd, there's always the 3GJUICE "MAJOR MOJO" 5400mAh battery backup "juicer." It will set you back less than half the price of a Touch, and it will give your BB about three additional charges before needing to be replenished itself. That, and a spare battery, could take you to the mountaintop!
Curve is a great device, and I love mine. But I would still not say it is as pleasant watching videos on it as it is on my iPod Touch. This has nothing to do with "herd" mentality as you like to say, but simply the ability to enjoy great products. Really, who besides you wants to carry their Acer netbook around all the time? And I have one of those too so I have some experience with which to voice my opinion. Each device has their place, and I just feel lucky that we have so many superb choices to meet the varied needs.

No need to use inflammatory labels to support your position either!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #35
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Acer does not market its Aspire One, or any of its other devices as a "lifestyle," while Apple markets every one of its devices as such. That has been their market strategy going back at least since the introduction of the iPod. Every person that I know who owns an Apple product purchased it primarily based on its "cool factor," even though, as with the iPhone 3G, it may not do its primary job, that is, being a phone, even as well as a $20 TracFone!

The only reason for purchasing a sub-par product at a Rodeo Drive price that I can think of is what I term as "herd mentality."

I am sure that in your case, you have a justifiable reason for purchasing three products (your BB, your iTouch, and your Aspire One) to do the job of two, but many in this day and age, plain don't have the spare disposable cash to pitch on that third, redundant item.

We have become a society that for the most part associates itself with brands. Apple has capitalized on that to the max. At this point, they've out-Harley'd Harley-Davidson, and that's saying alot.

Hope I didn't ruffle your feathers too badly Jack.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:25 AM   #36
jayuk022002

Model: 8310
Carrier: o2

I have owned an iphone 3g 8gb. I was caught by the wow factor and for the first week i thought it was amazing.

In fact it was the wow factor that was hiding all of the horrible bits.

These are the reasons why i got rid of my iphone (not in any order)

1) MMS - no mms

2) No more than 1 program open at a time

3) You cannot bluetooth anything at all. Only can be used with headsets and car kits

4) PC Connectivity. You cannot just quickly connect it to a pc and just copy files onto it

5) Texting is slow and hard to hit the right letters

6) You cannot forward text messages

7) There is always the fear of breaking the screen

8) No custom ring tones or text tones

9) Web browser is only good if you get 3g signal or wifi. Basic gprs is too slow for it.

10) No video camera

This is just my personal opinion though
Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #37
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Acer does not market its Aspire One, or any of its other devices as a "lifestyle," while Apple markets every one of its devices as such. That has been their market strategy going back at least since the introduction of the iPod. Every person that I know who owns an Apple product purchased it primarily based on its "cool factor," even though, as with the iPhone 3G, it may not do its primary job, that is, being a phone, even as well as a $20 TracFone!

The only reason for purchasing a sub-par product at a Rodeo Drive price that I can think of is what I term as "herd mentality."

I am sure that in your case, you have a justifiable reason for purchasing three products (your BB, your iTouch, and your Aspire One) to do the job of two, but many in this day and age, plain don't have the spare disposable cash to pitch on that third, redundant item.

We have become a society that for the most part associates itself with brands. Apple has capitalized on that to the max. At this point, they've out-Harley'd Harley-Davidson, and that's saying alot.

Hope I didn't ruffle your feathers too badly Jack.
No worries about ruffling my feathers. I do personally have a need for my 3 products. The Aspire One mostly for a cheap Windows XP laptop. I use my iPod for the video capabilities mostly, along with music. It also shows me that I would not be happy with the iPhone because of the onscreen keyboard. I much prefer the hardware keyboard of my BlackBerry, and my Palm's of the past. I'm just saying I didn't buy my iPod because of coolness factor. The screen is superb for watching video, and that is the main reason I have it. Any other usage, such as the occasional game, is just an added benefit.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #38
ScooterG

Model: E71x
PIN: Up Models Rule.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuk022002 View Post
I have owned an iphone 3g 8gb. I was caught by the wow factor and for the first week i thought it was amazing.

1) MMS - no mms

3) You cannot bluetooth anything at all. Only can be used with headsets and car kits

4) PC Connectivity. You cannot just quickly connect it to a pc and just copy files onto it

9) Web browser is only good if you get 3g signal or wifi. Basic gprs is too slow for it.

10) No video camera

Jailbreak.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #39
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterG View Post
Jailbreak.
You mean that "jailbreaking" the iPhone will allow for video function from the camera? It will allow for multi-tasking? It will suddenly add the OBEX profile to Bluetooth? It will fix the difficulty with texting? It will make the screen bulletproof? And last, will it speed up web browsing under GPRS?

Oh since jayuk022002 didn't mention it, I'll add it and ask here. Will jailbreaking fix the lousy RF reception?

I don't think so!

A garbage phone, even if it's sexy, is still a garbage phone. But hey, it is soooo desirable. HA!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #40
ScooterG

Model: E71x
PIN: Up Models Rule.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
You mean that "jailbreaking" the iPhone will allow for video function from the camera? It will allow for multi-tasking? It will suddenly add the OBEX profile to Bluetooth? It will fix the difficulty with texting? It will make the screen bulletproof? And last, will it speed up web browsing under GPRS?

Oh since jayuk022002 didn't mention it, I'll add it and ask here. Will jailbreaking fix the lousy RF reception?

I don't think so!

A garbage phone, even if it's sexy, is still a garbage phone. But hey, it is soooo desirable. HA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuk022002 View Post

1) MMS - no mms

10) No video camera

Let me clarify my "Jailbreak" post:

1. MMS: Native iPhone App: You can now Send & Receive MMS on your iPhone using SwirlyMMS - iPhone Hacks

2. Running apps in the background: http://lifehacker.com/5058555/iphone...le-iphone-apps

3. Bluetooth: iBluetooth Released - First iPhone App to Allow Users to Transfer Files via Bluetooth - iPhone Hacks

4. PC Connectivity: No need to jailbreak here DISCOVER

5. Try a different keyboard: keyboard themes for iphone - Google Search

6. Forward text messages: Text forwarding/deleting with BiteSMS / Jailbreak req'd - iPhone 3G | iPod touch Forums

7. Cases: iphone cases - Google Product Search

8. Custom Ring Tones etc.: I'm not even going to link this one as there are thousands.

9. Browser Speed: Wouldn't know as I've got a Touch

10. Video: Lifehacker - VideoRecorder Turns Your iPhone into a Video Camera - Apps Worth Jailbreaking For

All of that being said, I'm a huge fan of my 8300 Curve and am really looking forward to my next BB phone. The point though is that jailbreaking can do sooo much more for your iPhone or Touch.

Last edited by ScooterG; 04-24-2009 at 10:09 PM..
Closed Thread