Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
piester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

When I get my tax money back I am going to be buying a new phone. But I need some info or input. I currently have the 8310 on att and like it a lot. I don't use it for work at all. I live oin upstate ny if that matters. I'm trying to decide between the 3g iphone and the bold. I have read probably every comparrison on this site. As well as the boy geniouse one and still don't know what to get.
It will be strickly for personal use. Right now I use google maps. Aim. Jabplite. Vlingo. Opera mini and have been messing around with the newbolt browser. And the myspace app. I use the internet a lot too. Sms, email, pic and vid messages. Upload pics online and play games and listen to music and watch videos on it. I want a phone that is 3g. Has wifi. Gps. And that I can use aim. Email. Sms and mms and everything else I'm using on my curve. How do these 2 compare now after they have bee out for a while and have had many os updates? And can you go into the os on the iphone and delete cods out like you can on a bb? Any and all info would be loved
Old 01-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
piester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Also I have a pc not a mac.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (Bold)

I went from the 8310 to the Bold and love everything about it for the most part.
From what you say you use the most, the bold would be best IMHO. The iPhone still has limitations that the Bold doesn't have.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 01-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
piester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

I guess the iphone doesn't have wifi. And the bold is a smidge bigger. But the iphone does see to have better apps. Although the whole no video camera and no flash thing. Can you use the keyboard in landscape view when texting? And there's no zoom on the iphone?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
piester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

What about the web browser speed edge on my curve vs 3g, edge, or wifi on the bold vs the iphone?
Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
piester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Looks like the only things the iphone has over the bold is a bigger screen, the browser. And more internal memory. And maybe better and more free apps.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile
Default my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piester View Post
Wirelessly posted

Looks like the only things the iphone has over the bold is a bigger screen, the browser. And more internal memory. And maybe better and more free apps.
better apps? ..in some cases. The non-user replaceable battery and the fact you can't save attachments (or edit them) kind of a pretty big "dings" in my book.

If you can get over the fact that there is no "auto-text" feature (why I will be forever an BB user) and can get bye on the autocorrect that comes with the iphone it may be a better device.

It is a great "media" device but for writting emails and accessing websites faster without a lot of manuvering Blackberry has my vote.

If you ask me(I do live in DC) the iphone is getting so common place and vanilla, it is a fad for people who want a "cool" phone that looks flashy ...until they try to write more than a 3 line text message or an email longer than a paragraph.

That being said...
I owned a 2g iphone and jailbroke it and hated the auto-texting! Since then though I've convinced 3 co-workers to buy an iphone..possibly because I talk about it a lot. I waited 6 additional months to get a bold(and man did they hear about it). Despite all these facts I do regularly borrow their iphones and play with apps I hear about. Alot them are ehhh but at the same time I would literally KILL for shazam on my blackberry I would buy so much with it!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
gqstatus05
No longer Registered.

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T iPhone 3G User

Ok first off in a week they are releasing Microsoft Office for the iPhone (Just like Doc To Go)

The iPhone DOES have wifi. I can type faster on my iPhone than a normal person would on a BB. It takes getting used to like any other phone but hey at least my fingers won't get arthritis from pressing those little buttons down. All I have to do is tap the screen. The iPhone is an attention grabber as well. I understand that most people say the iPhone is a fad but it's up to you to make it original. I have mines jailbroken and I'm going to open my iPhone pretty soon and swap out the color and put a gold trim on it instead of the silver. Here's my new back housing that came in the mail!!

iPhone hands down!! You'd have so much fun with it as well unless you'd rather play brickbreaker everytime you were bored.

There are people who love phones and then there are peole that LOVE phones. I'm one of them. There's just so much potential with the iPhone.

I have powerpoint remote apps for when I do presentations in my class. I can just control everything from my iPhone. Docs to Go is coming soon. I already have copy and paste etc. Anway hope you make the right choice.

Oh yeah btw most phones that are calling in with issues in my tech dept are blackberry bolds....
Old 02-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

The Bold and the iphone are both on AT&T. Try the iphone first, if you don't like it get the Bold. Both are great phones. If you are looking more towards a multimedia device, then get the iphone. If you are looking for a solid communications device with limited multimedia features, then get the Bold. I personally think the iphone and Android are the future of mobile computing and communications. They are basically small handheld computers. The Bold and every other BB are basically souped up pager/cell phones with other features bolted on.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
gqstatus05
No longer Registered.

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T iPhone 3G User

^^^ A blackberry will always be a blackberry^^^ Say day different ****.

How old are you by the way?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
Godzilla07
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: Nein
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqstatus05 View Post
Ok first off in a week they are releasing Microsoft Office for the iPhone (Just like Doc To Go)

The iPhone DOES have wifi. I can type faster on my iPhone than a normal person would on a BB. It takes getting used to like any other phone but hey at least my fingers won't get arthritis from pressing those little buttons down. All I have to do is tap the screen. The iPhone is an attention grabber as well. I understand that most people say the iPhone is a fad but it's up to you to make it original. I have mines jailbroken and I'm going to open my iPhone pretty soon and swap out the color and put a gold trim on it instead of the silver. Here's my new back housing that came in the mail!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...y/e74b194c.jpg

iPhone hands down!! You'd have so much fun with it as well unless you'd rather play brickbreaker everytime you were bored.

There are people who love phones and then there are peole that LOVE phones. I'm one of them. There's just so much potential with the iPhone.

I have powerpoint remote apps for when I do presentations in my class. I can just control everything from my iPhone. Docs to Go is coming soon. I already have copy and paste etc. Anway hope you make the right choice.

Oh yeah btw most phones that are calling in with issues in my tech dept are blackberry bolds....
What the hell are you talking about when you mention that a person can get arthritis from using a BlackBerry when you use the keyboard. It doesn't apply to BlackBerrys only. Any device with a keyboard (such as the iPhone) can cause tendonitis because the thumbs aren't used to working with that little space. That argument is null.

I will say that the iPhone excels at web browsing and multmedia. I wish RIM could have a browser and media player that is as good as the iPhone's but that won't happen. But that's what I have an iPod touch for anyways (multimedia.) The web browsing will never be a good selling point unless RIM goes with WebKit. The best browsers use WebKit.

Try this typing test. Type "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog." 5 times each. I can do that with my BlackBerry in 39 seconds with no errors. I typed that on my iPod touch which is nearly the same device in 71 seconds. Also, I see more people using their index finger to type on the iPhone. That's because they are afraid of typing with 2 thumbs because they'll make more mistakes.

You can't use the BlackBerry as a remote control for a PowerPoint presentation because of security. But this really doesn't matter. Read here for why.

Copy and paste is only possible with a jailbreak. Running apps in the background is only possible with jailbreak. If you don't want to void your warranty, then you can't do that. You can do all of this on a BlackBerry without voiding your warranty. The BlackBerry can do more out of the box. It just works.

I don't like the iPhone because it doesn't get things done quickly. I have to stop to use the device. I can't do multiple things at once. I can't copy and paste. E-mail sucks compared to BlackBerry e-mail. I can't just simply view the important e-mails and mark things read. Nope, I have to go through every single e-mail.

To the OP, if your main focus is multimedia and web browsing, then go for the iPhone. But if you want to get things done, then go for the Bold.
Closed Thread