BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
jonbeard
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7803e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Anyone use Boost Mobile with BB?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, wanted to get a general conception on what you guys thought about the Boost Mobile BlackBerry service?

I like the idea of only paying without a contract, even if its a tad more expensive.

Let me know what you guys think

-JB
Old 09-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Please use the SEARCH feature. Should find several entries.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
jonbeard

@ Mod;

I did do a search, however I only found a very select few number of topics regarding the Boost Mobile network, and even then - most were outdated.

Regards,

Jon
Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Boost is a poor solution for BlackBerrys. You're going to spend A LOT of time trying to find workarounds for things that just happen naturally for everyone else. And even then there is no guarantee you'll get everything working.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbeard View Post
@ Mod;

I did do a search, however I only found a very select few number of topics regarding the Boost Mobile network, and even then - most were outdated.

Regards,

Jon
First one on the hit list out of a total of 381 posts: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-question.html

And I agree with Rambo. Seems to be much more trouble than it is worth.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 09-24-2010 at 01:30 PM..
Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

*Thread Moved*

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
jonbeard

Well do you guys have any other suggestions? I wont pass a credit check, as I have no credit established (even though I have never been late for anything), but I dont want to pay a rediculous security deposit of $400. Anyone have any suggestions maybe??
Old 09-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

It appears from your profile that you had VZW in the past. How did you get that?

You can get T-Mobile service for not much more than Boost with no credit required. You will simply have to buy the device outright.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
jonbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
It appears from your profile that you had VZW in the past. How did you get that?

You can get T-Mobile service for not much more than Boost with no credit required. You will simply have to buy the device outright.
That was back about 2 years ago, when I used to live with my parents. Now I am on my own, 2 jobs, and part-time college :P

And as far as T-Mobile, which network tech are they on?? Would it be cheaper to purchase a phone from somewhere like eBay, then have it activated??

Thanks

-Jon

Last edited by jonbeard; 09-25-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Please don't take this the wrong way. Maybe you're in a stage of your life that you really shouldn't / can't have a smart phone or Blackberry. Wait, save your money, develop some credit, then get the device.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
jonbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way. Maybe you're in a stage of your life that you really shouldn't / can't have a smart phone or Blackberry. Wait, save your money, develop some credit, then get the device.
I am 22 years old, I work for an Insurance Agency, and I am a Sales Professional for a company online. I plan to get either a Masters or a Doctorate degree in Information Systems Security (which I am currently working on right now), as well as my Networking Degree. I am not just some kid wanting a nice shiny new phone lol. I could afford the security deposit, but paying $400 and not getting anything from it, or seeing it for 12 months does not interest me. This about 1/3 of my monthly rent, as I could find other uses for $400. You may find me being arrogant, but believe me, I am not "just some kid".

I am asking about Boost Mobile, or other suggestions for non contract phones. Have you never heard its always to pay the car off up front, then to owe money to the bank?

Last edited by jonbeard; 09-25-2010 at 09:40 AM..
Old 09-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
devnull

Why do you need a security deposit?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
jonbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Why do you need a security deposit?
Verizon requires $400 (as well as AT&T), for not having any existing credit. This $400 is returned after 12 months of service. For AT&T, I believe its after the contract is over (2 years). This $400 sits in an escrow account, and is not put towards anything (bill, phone, etc), so I would still have to pay the price of the phone and the bills.

-Jon
Old 09-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
devnull

Exactly... return to post #10

And if you decide to go the eBay route... Please read this >> Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 09-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Jon, for what it's worth, just from hanging around on the forum and reading the posts from people on boost mobile, I tend to agree with the others above that boost seems like more trouble than it's worth when it comes to blackberrys. No personal experience, understand, but just what I gather from reading the experience of others.

And also just generally, any shortcuts with blackberry seems to me to be asking for headaches. If you can afford to deal with whatever troubles arise, or even enjoy the challenge, that's one thing; but not if, as it sounds, you need something you can rely on and know will be as troublefree as possible.

If you are really set on a blackberry, my advice is find a way to go the full deal with a major carrier and a blackberry data plan. Otherwise look for another solution that fits your budget constraints right now.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by aiharkness; 09-25-2010 at 04:58 PM..
Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 AM   #16
jonbeard

Found out this afternoon that Verizon is doing a no contract data plan for only $30.00/month. They are not offering it on the site yet, but I did call, and they are already taking orders for it. For anyone that is interested:

Available Today: Verizon Wireless Offers New Prepaid Data Package On 3G Smartphones And Multimedia Phones

Thanks everyone ^_^

-Jon
Old 09-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
ashohm

Model: 8330
Carrier: Boost Mobile

I have been on Boost Mobile since they offered the 8330. I am very happy with the service. Boost mobile's CDMA network runs off of Sprint and is adverstised as such on there website. There IDEN network which runs off of Nextel was worthless. In my experience I see no reason why not to use Boost and the 8330 unless you need more of a phone. After installing the hybrid OS and doing the tweaks on BBtweaks.com my phone runs flawless and it's only $60 month compared to $100 or more on other networks.

Click link - No Contract Prepaid Unlimited Pay As You Go Phone Plans | Boost Mobile (top left side of the page where it says click here. Click on link)

CDMA and CDMA.X Series phones operate on the Nationwide Sprint Network reaching over 276 million people nationwide. CDMA phones provide an enhanced data experience on the Sprint 3G network, using EVDO standard (Rev-O). CDMA.X Series phones provide a data experience using the 1xRTT standard.

Compatible phones: Motorola c290, Motorola W385, Motorola KRZR, Sanyo Mirro, Sanyo Incognito, BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330, Sanyo Juno (both), Samsung Rant

This is just my two cents. Maybe I'm one of the few with no problems?

Old 10-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #18
kalexdaya

Model: 8330
Carrier: boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbeard View Post
Hey guys, wanted to get a general conception on what you guys thought about the Boost Mobile BlackBerry service?

I like the idea of only paying without a contract, even if its a tad more expensive.

Let me know what you guys think

-JB
yes i have boostberry! and i love it! i have compared with other carriers and really not a lot of diff...the only qwirk is the track ball...the 8330 is i think the only model for boost and do not have the pad...everything is just fine for me and no contract is even better...and boost cu srvc for blackberry is EXCELLENT!!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #19
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalexdaya View Post
yes i have boostberry! and i love it! i have compared with other carriers and really not a lot of diff...the only qwirk is the track ball...the 8330 is i think the only model for boost and do not have the pad...everything is just fine for me and no contract is even better...and boost cu srvc for blackberry is EXCELLENT!!!!
Based on your mastery of the English language, I wouldn't trust a word that you say.