Old 07-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default BB maps vs Google Maps

Please Login to Remove!

Which one is faster for you? I love google maps since you can search for business and junk but loading of the maps is slow as heck, I have never had a mobil phone load maps this slow before. So I hope I just have a bad version? Any advice?

BB maps is fast at loading maps for me but is very limited since you cant search for business and other junk not to mention getting traffic.

So which loads maps faster for you google maps? or BB maps?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

BBmaps is going to be faster, period. It uses scalable vector images. Google uses bitmap images. As RIM described it when they announced BBMaps, its is keeping with their data efficiency design criteria.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yep, BBMaps is faster but doesn't have the search capabilities that Google has. I use both.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I am not sure if this relates but also preferred Google's decison-making. I was in the Colorado Mts which is another planet for this Floridian, and Google Maps provided me with longer directions in terms of distance, NOT time. The BB Maps had me driving through obscure roads.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Does anyone have issues with google maps not tracking the GPS all the time or not updating the location? BB maps for me work all the time no prob. I just wish it had the search feature that google maps has.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
Does anyone have issues with google maps not tracking the GPS all the time or not updating the location? BB maps for me work all the time no prob. I just wish it had the search feature that google maps has.
Yep. Others too.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
tcusta00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c

I agree with what's been posted so far... I also use both depending on the circumstances. Both seem slow loading to me, even though BB is a hair quicker. Googles GPS has issues, as you probably know, so when I need it to be accurate I use BB.

Off topic, but I've also started to use yahoo go maps - seems to be best of both worlds, but I've only used it a few times and I'm still waiting on an answer from another post about whether you can zoom in and out with a shortcut like "i" and "o" in bbm and gmm.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

tcusta00, I've looked for zoom shortcut. So far as I can tell there isn't one.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
tcusta00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c

Thanks aiharkness. I'm hoping yahoo comes up with one... Would make it a top contender to replacing one of my maps programs permanently... That and the abilty to have it standalone from Yahoo go, which I don't see happening either. There's no perfect solution to anything!!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

If you want speed, BB map.
If you want precise, GOOGLE map with satellite view (zoom in all the way), it can track which corner of my house I am standing.
Yesterday I was standing in line to put gas at costco, I am on the third lane from the right, start up gmap in satellite view and the blue dot is blinking at that spot.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 AM   #11
SteveMondragon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: S/ATT

Looks like I'm the only one who disagrees here regarding the speed. I have both the Treo 755p (comes loaded with Google maps) and the BB 8830 that has the BB maps on it. In the same EV-DO network in Southern California (or any other big city in CA, like the Bay Area or Sacramento), my Google maps loads faster and pans through the maps with faster refresh rates than the BB maps do. I've used both quite extensively and I think the Google maps is not only faster, but looks waaay better looking for the map layout than the BB maps do. The BB maps look so archaic (reminds me of an older Honda navigation system map) where the Google maps looks more "pretty" when viewing streets, simlar to my A4's factory navigation.

I won't knock BB maps completely, it works great with the GPS, one thing the Treo lacks. But you can still install a 3rd party app for free and run GPS on your 755p while having the BT turned on (uses the cell towers to pinpoint the location). But the main thing I always use the maps for is the live traffic map on Google maps. That's the biggest help that I've used when driving home in rush hours traffic, so I can see which freeways are complete backed up and I can take different routes. If I ever really get lost (which I haven't yet, since my car already has nav) I could always use the GPS in the BB but I've never really had to in a situation like that.

But going back to the topic that I was talking about, IMO the Google maps program loads the maps faster and refreshes the maps faster when you scroll/pan over to see more areas. I'm not going to argue on which one is better for you, but that's what I've noticed from first hand experience with both map programs.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:53 AM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Add Google maps to the BB and then compare both on the BB. You're comparing one on device A to the other on device B.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:49 AM   #13
simonbk

Model: 8820
Carrier: Orange

I have both BB Maps and Google Maps on my 8820 and neither seem to work properly.

I had to reload BB Maps onto my 8820 as my network, Orange UK, hid/removed the app but when I open the app the GPS finds my location but no maps appear. Can anyone help me with this?

Also, I loaded Google Maps onto my 8820 and when I click to open the app I get the following message:

Initially:

Loading, then the progress bar stops at 4 only for the following to pop up a minute later:

! Network failure

Quit

Try again later. If that doesn't work, try installing a new version of this application.

Needless to say I have tried many times and reloaded the Google Maps app.

Essentially I have both BB Maps and Google Maps on my BB but neither work. Could this be as a result of Orange UK blocking these apps? Orange have their own Sat Nav, Sat Nav from Orange, which you have to pay for but why should I have to pay if there are other sat nav apps out there that are free to download?

Any additional help would be much appreciated?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:07 AM   #14
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbk View Post
I have both BB Maps and Google Maps on my 8820 and neither seem to work properly.

I had to reload BB Maps onto my 8820 as my network, Orange UK, hid/removed the app but when I open the app the GPS finds my location but no maps appear. Can anyone help me with this?

Also, I loaded Google Maps onto my 8820 and when I click to open the app I get the following message:

Initially:

Loading, then the progress bar stops at 4 only for the following to pop up a minute later:

! Network failure

Quit

Try again later. If that doesn't work, try installing a new version of this application.

Needless to say I have tried many times and reloaded the Google Maps app.

Essentially I have both BB Maps and Google Maps on my BB but neither work. Could this be as a result of Orange UK blocking these apps? Orange have their own Sat Nav, Sat Nav from Orange, which you have to pay for but why should I have to pay if there are other sat nav apps out there that are free to download?

Any additional help would be much appreciated?

Thanks.
I got BB Maps working on Orange UK by following these instructions:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...lackberry.html

I also have Google Maps working without any problems. I will try to avoid Orange Sat Nav due to the extra cost and no doubt the large amount of GPRS it will probably use.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 AM   #15
dmacd

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK

Simonbk,

Forgot to mention that the reason your google maps night not work is that you need an APN entry. Set this:

Options -> Advanced Options -> TCP -> APN -> orangeinternet
Old 08-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #16
SteveMondragon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: S/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Add Google maps to the BB and then compare both on the BB. You're comparing one on device A to the other on device B.
My comparason was just only with the pre-loaded maps software on each phone, so that's what I've used. Where can I find a download of Google maps for the BB? I'll load that up and compare it to the Treo (both on the Sprint EV-DO network) to see how it then compares.

EDIT: nevermind, I found it and downloaded it. I'll play around with it and see how it compares to the Treo 755p's pre-loaded Google Maps app in speed, refresh rate, and picture quality.

Last edited by SteveMondragon; 08-30-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Old 08-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #17
evilcaptain

Model: 9700

I tried both paired with a BT GPS receiver and BBMaps is much more reliable. Google Maps has consistently crash and now with the new version 1.61, the blue dot that shows your current location disappears periodically.
Closed Thread