Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default I never thought I'd say this - I think I'm regretting the touch screen

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a long time user of blackberries (8700, 8800, 8300, 8330, 9700) and couldn't wait to get the Torch. It combined the best of past blackberries and had a larger screen, better browser, etc.

Now that I've had it for almost a year, a few things annoy me:

1. The keyboard - while still a physical keyboard, isn't as good as the Curve.

2. Every now and then it just seems to lag - the touch screen is slow to respond - have to touch, slide, gester repeatedly or very carefully, inadvertent touches on the screen causes the menu to appear, etc. I've done multiple battery pulls but it's just not as smooth as I thought it would be.

3. And the biggest issue - I constantly seem to hit the right combination of spots on the screen that results in me turning off the radio - so I get no phone calls, no emails, etc.

I wonder if an app to disable the touch screen portion (forcing to use the trackpad) would help.

Anyways - I'm bummed - not sure what to do - i'm on .246 so I'll load .337 and see if it improves. I used to hate those people who mocked the torch and kept whining about a new version of the Bold 9000 - now I find myself looking at the new Bold replacement (Dakota) more and more . . .

Anyone have a similar experience? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
biggy82

PIN: N/A
Carrier: TSTT bmobile
Default Re: I never thought I'd say this - I think I'm regretting the touch screen

yep, the touchscreen is very sensitive. i personally dont have too many problems with it but my wife is always getting into the same trouble about turning the radio off. she thinks she should just pop the phone in her bag after disconnecting a call.

do a search cos there are apps that lock the TS

oh and BTW, why not upgrade to .448 or .450?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
Calebrity
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: Virgin mobile
Default Re: I never thought I'd say this - I think I'm regretting the touch screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy82 View Post
oh and BTW, why not upgrade to .448 or .450?
i was just going to say this, have you tried adjusting the touchscreen settings at all, i know this will not help with the screen transitions but that is the main reason that kept me from using the torch. I am not a fan of how laggy it looks in comparison to the 9100, 9300, 9700, and 9780 all with OS6.

I have done some testing with the different devices and and I can transitions between my screens faster without the touchscreen then with the touchscreen. which i know seems minor in the long run but still a good asset.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

Ugrade to .450 and get yourself a copy of PatternLock, plus make good use of the lock button. Most of your issues will be resolved. Touch screens are not for everyone though; seems strange that you have not gotten used to the touchscreen after almost a year.

To each his own ...... I personally love it; somethings are just simply better with a touchscreen. Good Luck!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
AZsteelman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Hey, if you're not used to it by now, I doubt you ever will be. I had to find another Theme that rearranged things a little to make it work for me. The one I have now has the radio and everything down at the bottom of the screen and it's not touch activated, just info only (Crossroads Theme).

I also have bLOC installed, and it's a nice add on...
Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Calebrity

Model: 9900
Carrier: Virgin mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZsteelman View Post
What is this bLOC?
Berry Lock? does it self lock the screen?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
AZsteelman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebrity View Post
What is this bLOC?
Berry Lock? does it self lock the screen?
I got it at App world - works like a charm. Locks the screen after a period of time you choose, then you simply slide the lock to open it like an iPhone. Pretty simple -
Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

I appreciate the comments - one clarification though - I am used to it - I can get around it very quickly - it's just that the swipes and other gestures are not as smooth as I had anticipated. I'll upgrade the OS and see if that helps.

I use the lock key all the time - sometimes when I place it somewhere or set it down I may not lock it and then I inadvertently hit the top right corner and in few cases touch it somewhere again that turns off the radio.

If I use my phone with my left hand and hold it a little bit away from my ear I sometimes inadvertently activate the speaker phone - then i have to look at the phone - wait for the screen to appear and put it back on handset.

Little stuff like that - I did just try changing the touch settings to see if that helps.

We'll see.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
palomartian

PIN: ched off BBM, gained 3MB
Carrier: att

I miss the trackball, but the touchscreen is great and easy to get used to. I should prolly look at my trackpad settings. On mine the entire top row takes me to the radio settings, so ya, it would be easy to hit. I don't trust the lock button so I use Berryslider.
"You. My room. 10:30 tonight. You. 10:45... And bring a friend."
Old 03-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Updated to .450 - simple and painless and so far no issues. Hopefully this resolves the relatively minor (yet annoying) lag issues.

Someone mentioned a different theme so I don't hit the area at the top of the screen that allows me to quickly access the network settings - that's probably a good idea.

The only other issue is the accidental hit of the hold or speakerphone when I'm using the phone. There's a phone lock app for that - but I'm a cheapskate.

We'll see.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZsteelman View Post
Hey, if you're not used to it by now, I doubt you ever will be. I had to find another Theme that rearranged things a little to make it work for me. The one I have now has the radio and everything down at the bottom of the screen and it's not touch activated, just info only (Crossroads Theme).

Thanks for the tips. My problem with the touchscreen involves my cheeks hitting the mute or other button while on a non-headset call.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
iphonenowtorch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ROGERS

I just purchased the app "TGrape Lock". Its great and works really well. Its 2.99 but free trial now. It a swipe lock and you can set it so that when you talk on the phone it locks it. It will solve the "cheek" problem

Last edited by iphonenowtorch; 03-11-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
iphonenowtorch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZD View Post
The only other issue is the accidental hit of the hold or speakerphone when I'm using the phone. There's a phone lock app for that - but I'm a cheapskate.

Thanks.
Try the TGrape lock, like I said, it locks the phone when you talk so you will solve the prob. I understand that you are cheap, but why pay hundreds of $ for a phone but then be too cheap to pay an extra 2 bucks especially that its going to avoid you being annoyed?

Good Luck!

Last edited by iphonenowtorch; 03-11-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonenowtorch View Post
I understand that you are cheap, but why pay hundreds of $ for a phone but then be too cheap to pay an extra 2 bucks especially that its going to avoid you being annoyed?

Good Luck!
if you pay hundreds of dollars for the technological advances you should not have to buy an app for that.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
iphonenowtorch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird57 View Post
if you pay hundreds of dollars for the technological advances you should not have to buy an app for that.
I agree BUT, not everyone has this problem... Also, I owned many, many many phones, and with everyone of them, there is something I would have improved, or made it better to fit MY lifestyle/preferences. I am glad that with the new technology, I am able to pay a few dollars to make my iphone/BB better for me. I figure, if I can afford hundreds on a phone and plan, why be cheap when it comes to making it easier for me? We are talking about $2.

Last edited by iphonenowtorch; 03-11-2011 at 12:38 PM..
Old 03-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonenowtorch View Post
I agree BUT, not everyone has this problem... Also, I owned many, many many phones, and with everyone of them, there is something I would have improved, or made it better to fit MY lifestyle/preferences. I am glad that with the new technology, I am able to pay a few dollars to make my iphone/BB better for me. I figure, if I can afford hundreds on a phone and plan, why be cheap when it comes to making it easier for me? We are talking about $2.
I agree with you...I purchased a similar lock app also...not for the problem mentioned above...

Last edited by tbird57; 03-11-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
palomartian

PIN: ched off BBM, gained 3MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird57 View Post
Every modestly sophisticated piece of electronics involves some learning and adjusting on the part of the consumer. For some, applications to modify the behavior of the device are preferable to adapting ones own behaviors.
"You. My room. 10:30 tonight. You. 10:45... And bring a friend."
Closed Thread