BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #21
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Most people that buy phone have absolutely no clue as to the underlying technology. They see the device, looks cool, they buy it. BIS? WTF is that, BES? I just want to text and get facebook. Most people are clueless, those of us who have any clue don't realize that most of world is just one step above moron level.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:26 AM   #22
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Most people that buy phone have absolutely no clue as to the underlying technology. They see the device, looks cool, they buy it. BIS? WTF is that, BES? I just want to text and get facebook. Most people are clueless, those of us who have any clue don't realize that most of world is just one step above moron level.
Oh yes, i forgot to mention this. If i tell people 'are you on BIS or BES' their first reaction is this moronic retarded blank stare.. and then i say.. "BlackBerry Internet Service or "BlackBerry Enterprise Server" and their reaction.. "Neither.. I just use GPRS so that I can access BBM, facebook, MSN and G-talk".. Help.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 AM   #23
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

That's funny stuff. So if most people think they're elite for having a BlackBerry but not actually using it to its potential, then what status has been achieved by those that actually use their BlackBerries properly? Uber-Nerd perhaps?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:32 AM   #24
CoDudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
That's funny stuff. So if most people think they're elite for having a BlackBerry but not actually using it to its potential, then what status has been achieved by those that actually use their BlackBerries properly? Uber-Nerd perhaps?
I am super-geek-freak among my friends.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #25
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Yeah, that's a curse I think a lot of us here share!

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #26
CoDudette

it ain't a curse.. we're just super 'elite' :P
Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 AM   #27
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I believe you meant "L33T".
Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #28
CoDudette

i haven't used L33T in years!!

hehehe.. thats the word ;)
Old 10-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #29
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Personal opinion here: I think the BB takes some unfair hits from consumers who do not buy the data plan because the device won't do that they want it to do without the BB data plan in place. They really expect it to act like any other PDA on a basic data plan - i.e. you can get full functionality with the cheapest plan out there using a WinMo or Nokia or whatever PDA. It doesn't really require the PDA plan that the carrier's force you intto.

I also don't think people really do their homework on the BB, especially those who buy a used one. It isn't as simple as buying a used cell device. Other things need to be checked out.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #30
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Personal opinion here: I think the BB takes some unfair hits from consumers who do not buy the data plan because the device won't do that they want it to do without the BB data plan in place. They really expect it to act like any other PDA on a basic data plan - i.e. you can get full functionality with the cheapest plan out there using a WinMo or Nokia or whatever PDA. It doesn't really require the PDA plan that the carrier's force you intto.

I also don't think people really do their homework on the BB, especially those who buy a used one. It isn't as simple as buying a used cell device. Other things need to be checked out.
Exactly! Then they come to this site to whine about it.
BlackBerrys are not PDA's. They're BlackBerrys - an entirely different device.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #31
oasissux
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers/fido

Everyone will have data plans in the near future. Blackberry can share much of the credit for that. So, the people who are using their BBs without data, are just behind the curve. It's like when internet access first started to become popular. Lots of people still had computers without internet access, but those who were online couldn't imagine having a computer that wasn't online.

So, no, the lack of data plans isn't hurting BB. I'd argue that users of this site overestimate the amount of problems people have with BBs because anyone in the world with a BB problem comes here looking for a solution. It's like working in a complaints department and thinking all people do all day is complain. Well, yeah, that'd be why they're talking to you. People without complaints don't call the complaint department. That doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #32
monkeypaw

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Exactly! Then they come to this site to whine about it.
BlackBerrys are not PDA's. They're BlackBerrys - an entirely different device.
Back when most Blackberries were sold to folks with a corporate IT department and corporate data plans this was fine. But now most BBs (70%??) are sold to consumers. And consider they are now selling in other countries where there is no existing base of Blackberry users with past knowledge. I cringe when there are non-native English speakers on here needing help because I know if they can't understand the jargon and content, there's no one for them to turn to. And they're going to just give up on the device and go back to a Nokia or maybe even an Iphone that just works.

I've been in and out of RIM stock as it gets under and over priced, but its hard to stick with it. They have great devices but they've missed growth forecasts the last 2 quarters. I think the annoyances shave off more sales than RIM wants to admit to themselves right now.

Last edited by monkeypaw; 10-21-2009 at 01:39 AM..
Old 10-21-2009, 02:34 AM   #33
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
...And they're going to just give up on the device and go back to a Nokia or maybe even an Iphone that just works.
Maybe that is what RIM should strive for, technology that just works. Say what you want about the iphone, but for non tech person, it really does "just work" From the way it syncs with itunes to the way it installs updates, to its intuitive UI, anyone can use it. Technology should not get in the way of the user experience. The masses aren't power users and don't want to be. They just want a product to do what it is suppose to. Apple understands this, RIM needs to.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 10-21-2009 at 02:35 AM..
Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 AM   #34
CoDudette

Quote:
Maybe that is what RIM should strive for, technology that just works. Say what you want about the iphone, but for non tech person, it really does "just work" From the way it syncs with itunes to the way it installs updates, to its intuitive UI, anyone can use it. Technology should not get in the way of the user experience. The masses aren't power users and don't want to be. They just want a product to do what it is suppose to. Apple understands this, RIM needs to.

having said that, i agree with you on the iPhone and the fact that is 'just works'. so lets say that even if there's a small percentage of people who want to be 'power users', wouldn't it just be easier for RIM to come up with 2 'kinds' of phones.. the one that 'just works' and the one for the more 'business oriented tech savvy' users? maybe it's a far fetched idea, but it could just put RIM in a better position.. rather than having a cult following of people who don't understand even BB 101..
Old 10-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #35
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
wouldn't it just be easier for RIM to come up with 2 'kinds' of phones.. the one that 'just works' and the one for the more 'business oriented tech savvy' users? maybe it's a far fetched idea, but it could just put RIM in a better position.. rather than having a cult following of people who don't understand even BB 101..
I don't know if you could have 2 types of devices, as it is the OS that is the issue, not the device. RIM needs a major work over of the BB OS. A powerful OS does not need to be difficult. RIM's current OS is overly cumbersome for a consumer device, even for a business device in some aspects (IT departments mitigate a lot of this).
Take this post for example

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...7-upgrade.html

Who has time to deal with this? Not very many people I know. I'm pretty tech savvy, and I wouldn't want to.
Make it powerful, secure and user friendly. This can be done, it just has to want to be done.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 10-21-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Old 10-22-2009, 05:30 AM   #36
CoDudette

Quote:
I don't know if you could have 2 types of devices, as it is the OS that is the issue, not the device. RIM needs a major work over of the BB OS. A powerful OS does not need to be difficult. RIM's current OS is overly cumbersome for a consumer device, even for a business device in some aspects (IT departments mitigate a lot of this).
Take this post for example

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...7-upgrade.html

Who has time to deal with this? Not very many people I know. I'm pretty tech savvy, and I wouldn't want to.
Make it powerful, secure and user friendly. This can be done, it just has to want to be done.

My bad, i misunderstood.

Ok, i agree that the BB OS, although technologically superb and advance isn't the easiest thing to handle. especially for not so tech savvy people..

and yes that post which you mentioned, is something even i wouldn't want to try working with.

The OS should stay, maybe RIM can come up with a 'lighter' more user-friendly OS as well? i mean, what's the harm in having a bit of both either?
Closed Thread