Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
BikerDan

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default Password hack?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Blackberry Pearl that my daughter was using. She had password protected it. My daughter is now deceased and I need to get into her text and voice messages to help find out WHY she is deceased. Does anybody have any idea how to get the files off without the password. I have already tried nine different possible passwords. One more wrong guess and the hard drive will wipe itself clean. Local police don't have a handle on this and let me take the BB out of evidence hoping I could come up with something. Any suggestions please? Please help!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

Nope nothing you could do! You will probably need a forensic expert that works on devices even then not sure if they would be successful.

But something doesn't add up here
Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

Can't be done. The password protection on a Blackberry is there to prevent people from doing what you are trying to do. All be it usually for nefarious reasons.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post

But something doesn't add up here
agreed

Especially since the voice messages would be available to the police through the carrier.

Last edited by barbwyr; 09-24-2009 at 05:51 PM..
Old 09-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Also the police have access to the forensic experts with the technology to if possible get into the phone
Old 09-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

The text would be retrieveable through the carrier as well depending how far back they go.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
TTsoldier
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2168B71A
Carrier: bmobile

Definitely suspicious.

Agreed with above.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
BikerDan

I live in rural area. Detective said a police dept. 50 miles from here MAY be able to help. Phone records show lots of voice messages left around the time of death. I had the phone company reset the PW for the phone and only 2 messages were there and the were left several days after. Phone company said would have record of where texts came from and went too, but not content. May just have to take it to the other PD.
Thanks.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerDan View Post
I live in rural area. Detective said a police dept. 50 miles from here MAY be able to help. Phone records show lots of voice messages left around the time of death. I had the phone company reset the PW for the phone and only 2 messages were there and the were left several days after. Phone company said would have record of where texts came from and went too, but not content. May just have to take it to the other PD.
Thanks.
They don't have access to the text content? What carrier is this, because it is my understanding that for legal reasons they keep them for at least 30 days. They are not accessible to YOU, but they are easily subpoened by law enforcement regardless of the rural nature of the department. Besides, if there is a department 50 miles away that can handle this I would suggest you let them. This is not the place to be getting help in this situation.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

So, just so we are on the same page here....

Your daughter has a blackberry, whatever happens, she is deceased, and you are going ONLINE to have us figure out what happened...

If the police know that she died, they sure as hell know how, or have a general idea how it happened. Your story doesn't add up at all.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
BikerDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post

So, just so we are on the same page here....

Your daughter has a blackberry, whatever happens, she is deceased, and you are going ONLINE to have us figure out what happened...

If the police know that she died, they sure as hell know how, or have a general idea how it happened. Your story doesn't add up at all.
DanKarlinski, thanks for your tirade. If you read the post you'd know I wasn't asking how. I want to know why! You watch too much CSI...
Old 09-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

What I'm saying is, the police can get the info from the carrier.... Voicemails are stored on their server...

Regardless of whatever the story is, there is no way to crack a BB password unless you have EXTREMELY talanted computer hackers.... Even then, it is highly unlikely it would happen. So long story short, the only people can do anything is the police!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerDan View Post
DanKarlinski, thanks for your tirade. If you read the post you'd know I wasn't asking how. I want to know why! You watch too much CSI...
You have to understand, and this is why I said you shouldn't be trying to get the answer here, that your story sounds like just another variation of the same old story that gets posted here all the time. In the end it's just someone trying to hack into a friends, spouses, lovers, or stolen BB and around here that's not tolerated. If your story is true I send my condolences but you must understand you are in the wrong place. Allow law enforcement to handle the case details or hire a PI who may have the ability to get you answers.

Edit:
By the way...titling your thread Password hack? did not help your case.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Biker, rural or not, police departments that don't have the resource for a criminal investigation of this sort pass it up to higher authorities like the state bureau of investigation or the local Sheriff's depart or district attorney/solicitor. Believe me, if there is cause, they will investigate, and they won't rely on the victim's dad.

Now, if you are just a curious dad, which I would certainly understand, you need to get a court order, or the police will, from the carrier for the phone records and SMS content. They can do that.

And as stated above, there are forensics experts who can get the information off the device... but they cost thousands. If you enter the password incorrectly this last time, you can probably triple that cost.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

With a supeona any carrier can provide the content of text messages. As you stated the carrier reset the VM password which means you can access those messages.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #16
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I have a couple of comments on this one.
Being in law enforcement, we would NEVER let a victim's family member "check out of evidence" any item in an active investigation. It just inst done. Even the most remote police department would never let this happen. If there is any question about the death, you have just lost valuable evidence.

This story sounds very fishy. If its true, so be it, but I don't buy it.

With regards to text message retention, carrier tell us different things. Some say 2-3 days, some say never at all. We have never found a carrier retaining longer than a couple of weeks. Currently its more like a day or two.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:29 AM   #17
oasissux
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: rogers/fido

I don't believe law enforcement can crack BB passwords on BIS. If anyone knows otherwise, feel free to enlighten me. Even with BES, they need the co-operation of the person hosting the server, no? Further, servers hosted overseas would make it difficult to get warrants, to say the least.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #18
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

This is true. I'm giving the best case that it MAY work... The one try kinda limits the chances tho... And I don't buy the story for a second
Closed Thread