Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
dleccord
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobes
Default selling sim cards

Please Login to Remove!

will i run into any issues down the line if i sell my unactivated sim cards?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Who would buy an unactivated SIM card when you can just get a new one from your carrier for free?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
dleccord
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobes

free? like i can just walk in and ask for one?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleccord View Post
free? like i can just walk in and ask for one?
If you needed to replace your current SIM card... yes. Just walk in and say "My SIM card doesn't work". They'll replace it on the spot.

I have plenty of AT&T users and T-Mobile users. This is pretty common practice.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Yep not much need in purchasing SIM cards. If you had any problem both T-Mo and ATT will just give you another and move you service to it.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

I'm going to slightly disagree. A lot of people (including me) like to keep one or two blank SIMs around. Reason is that if I lose my phone or it gets stolen or whatever, I can immediately call up customer service and not only cancel the old one so no one can use it, but I can activate the new one over the phone and stick it in a spare phone to begin using immediately. (I actually had to do that with my Dad's prepaid when it was stolen.)

You might be able to get a store to give you a spare SIM to keep just in case but maybe not. It's worth a couple dollars to have it on hand. And, at least with TMO, officially, they are supposed to charge. They don't always but do you want to chance having to visit several stores looking for one who will give you the free SIM or do you just want to get it activated and move on?
Old 08-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310

And then there's the danger of buying a SIM from someone other than your carrier. You risk that SIM being reported lost/stolen and thus unusable when you need it.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
sgtcasey

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrolldf View Post
I'm going to slightly disagree. A lot of people (including me) like to keep one or two blank SIMs around. Reason is that if I lose my phone or it gets stolen or whatever, I can immediately call up customer service and not only cancel the old one so no one can use it, but I can activate the new one over the phone and stick it in a spare phone to begin using immediately. (I actually had to do that with my Dad's prepaid when it was stolen.)

You might be able to get a store to give you a spare SIM to keep just in case but maybe not. It's worth a couple dollars to have it on hand. And, at least with TMO, officially, they are supposed to charge. They don't always but do you want to chance having to visit several stores looking for one who will give you the free SIM or do you just want to get it activated and move on?
Anytime you order a new phone you should get a SIM card with it. I have and as a result I have 2 or 3 spares sitting in a drawer somewhere in case I need one.

I would not pay someone for a SIM card. You have no idea if that card will even work when you need it which means you'll end up heading over to your carriers local store for a free one anyway.

Dave
Old 08-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
Anytime you order a new phone you should get a SIM card with it. I have and as a result I have 2 or 3 spares sitting in a drawer somewhere in case I need one.

I would not pay someone for a SIM card. You have no idea if that card will even work when you need it which means you'll end up heading over to your carriers local store for a free one anyway.

Dave
This may be true with T-Mo, but AT&T handles in one of two ways: activate the SIM and send it with the new phone; or, strip the SIM from the new phone package... However, the two times I needed to replace my SIM (my phone and one of the kids' phone), AT&T did provide a new one free of charge.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:21 AM   #10
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrolldf View Post

I looked in my drawer and I got like 6 ATT SIM cards in there. The ATT store is just around the corner and open 7 days a week. I do admit that have a card might come in handy but still say the value for selling the cards is low!
Closed Thread