Old 04-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
sparsons

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Default Unlocked Storm 2 on Vodafone UK - Previously on Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I have a Storm 2 which is unlocked. I have my vodafone sim in it and have subscribed to the BIS tariff.

the storm is running Verizon's OS and this means that i am lacking certain functionality., mainly the Browser.

when i reset the device the browser icon appears in the list, as soon as the phone gets network coverage it disappears - i can only assume its vodafone putting a restriction on the device.

Is there any way to get rid of the Verizon operating system and install the Vodafone O/S???

thanks in anticipation...
Old 04-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

It sounds as though the BIS tariff hasn't actually been provisioned; otherwise the browser wouldn't disappear.
Call up vodafone, ask for technical support, and speak to them about it.

Also, no you cant load a vodafone OS, as vodafone dont have an OS for the 9550.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
sparsons

Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
It sounds as though the BIS tariff hasn't actually been provisioned; otherwise the browser wouldn't disappear.
Call up vodafone, ask for technical support, and speak to them about it.

Also, no you cant load a vodafone OS, as vodafone dont have an OS for the 9550.
thanks for the reply, i find it odd that i can recieve emails and login to the BIS website for management of the email accounts etc if it hasnt been provisioned properly.

the only reason i ask about the OS is i know vodafone brand the browser as vodafone live! i wondered if this would have an effect?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Ah. Wasn't aware of that.

It shouldn't have an affect, as the browser is controlled by service books; which you get by being activated on BIS. Therefore is BIS is working, you should be getting the service books for it.

Like I said, vodafone don't offer an OS for the 9550 as its a Verizon exclusive device.
Vodafone offer an OS for the 9520 (originally their exclusive) but that OS cant be loaded to a 9550.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
kprashant67

Carrier: Mtel Vodafon

Friends! Please help. I bought a Verizon Strom 2 9550, to use it on Mtel Vodafon (Bulgaria). Previously, I was using Storm 9500 on the same provider, with my BIS account. After unlocking my new 9550, everything like voice, sms, mms, gps, wifi are working well. The only issue is that I cannot switch my new set on my BIS account. After entering new PIN and IMEI, it says that "the information provided is not valid for this service provider. Also, my HRT has no entries despite of my repeated registration sending. I talked with them and they said that they do not have such restrictions and may be Verizon has some hardware or Software lock for their exclusive BIS service. Is it true? I checked with RIM USA - and this very set was not data activated ever. So, there is no point blocking this PIN with Verizon. Can PIN and IMEI be changed manually by my provider? Is there any other setting which I can touch in my set?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
lrdiaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

I remember someone else trying to activate a Storm2 with a European carrier suggested to try the PIN/IMEI activation several times and it will finally activate after numerous attempts.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
kprashant67

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdiaz View Post
I remember someone else trying to activate a Storm2 with a European carrier suggested to try the PIN/IMEI activation several times and it will finally activate after numerous attempts.
Please tell me about solution of my problem, friends!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
bnbasarir

Carrier: Vodafone TR
Default Same for Vodafone Turkey

I'm having exactly the same problem with my Verizon branded Storm 2 device over Vodafone TR. I tried every possible way, upgraded the soft, hard reset, soft reset, device registration over network with no luck, talked to Verizon and Vodafone.

The answer I got is very weird tho; Verizon blocks all Vodafone operators access to BIS/BES servers with Verizon branded Storm 2 devices. Actually this is funny 'coz Verizon Wireless is OWNED by Vodafone.

RIM says they can't do anything, Vodafone Turkey is trying to figure out this with Verizon and Verizon is not giving a damn about the problem!

If you guys have any answers which will solve this problem I will praise for the rest of my life :D
Old 04-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
kprashant67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbasarir View Post
I'm having exactly the same problem with my Verizon branded Storm 2 device over Vodafone TR. I tried every possible way, upgraded the soft, hard reset, soft reset, device registration over network with no luck, talked to Verizon and Vodafone.

The answer I got is very weird tho; Verizon blocks all Vodafone operators access to BIS/BES servers with Verizon branded Storm 2 devices. Actually this is funny 'coz Verizon Wireless is OWNED by Vodafone.

RIM says they can't do anything, Vodafone Turkey is trying to figure out this with Verizon and Verizon is not giving a damn about the problem!

If you guys have any answers which will solve this problem I will praise for the rest of my life :D
Today, just like a miracle I got the registration of my new Verizon 9550 on my BIS account at Vodafon Bulgaria. Everything works well - only problem is that I can access all my BIS services(browsing, e-mails etc..) only when I am under WIFI zone with active wifi connection. As soon as I off wifi - BIS services stop working. In HRT I have three entries one wifi, and two GPRS - where both are same with only difference that in one entry, bold one, has APN: emgsm.vzw3g.com(verizon) and in another entry it is normal APN:blackberry.net(Bulgaria). Where IP/Ports are same in both entries. I think the problem lies in this first entry. Is there any method to change this APN manually in HRT? Please help!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
kprashant67

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdiaz View Post
Today, just like a miracle I got the registration of my new Verizon 9550 on my BIS account at Vodafon Bulgaria. Everything works well - only problem is that I can access all my BIS services(browsing, e-mails etc..) only when I am under WIFI zone with active wifi connection. As soon as I off wifi - BIS services stop working. In HRT I have three entries one wifi, and two GPRS - where both are same with only difference that in one entry, bold one, has APN: emgsm.vzw3g.com(verizon) and in another entry it is normal APN:blackberry.net(Bulgaria). Where IP/Ports are same in both entries. I think the problem lies in this first entry. Is there any method to change this APN manually in HRT? Please help!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
bnbasarir

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprashant67 View Post
Well I hope same thing happens to me soon 'coz this thing is driving me crazy. I dropped iPhone 3 times in favor of BlackBerry. I love the services and I just wanna use them as I'm supposed to since I'm paying for them and there are no warnings about this issue anywhere!

I met with couple of guys running into same problem with Vodafone India, Egypt and Romania. Hope we find a solution asap!

Anyway, let us know about what is going on with your services.

P.S. How long did you have to wait?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
kprashant67

Hi all ! So, my Verizon unlocked storm 2 started working well, wifi and 3G/EDGE, with my BIS at Vodafon Bulgaria. Happy at last. There are only two issues still to be resolved - every time I reboot my device - service books vanish partially and some of the functions like facebook etc. stop working. I have to load original SBs manually or OTA by my provider. How can I prevent vanishing SB? Also, GPRS services, MMS, BB Maps, Navigator, data.., do not work properly. I tried with my provider - once they gave me full access through GPRS - BIS services stop. I think the clue is in the bold entry of HRT GPRS - where APN is still of Verizon instead of mine i.e. blackberry.net. Any idea?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
bnbasarir

How did you manage that? Please let me know what Vodafone did or you did to have active BIS account. I would love to hear that so I can share it with guys from Voda over here in Turkey.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
kprashant67

I cannot tell you exactly , how it happened. All of the sudden I found HRT entries in my device and when I checked at my BIS account, my old pin was replaced by the new one. Before that I tried several times to activate this and also kept sending HRT requests. Besides, I talked twice with RIM USA and VERIZON. But, their answers were not quite satisfactory. They just informed me that this very device was never registered with Verizon. So, I suggest you to call them and put your problem. May be they can release somehow the device and It might work. Good Luck, my dear friend.
Closed Thread