Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Workingmen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT
Default Modify alx file

Please Login to Remove!

What program is used to open and edit alx files?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I use text pad its free
Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

You can use Notepad or Wordpad

Please try a Search
Old 07-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperapd View Post
You can use Notepad or Wordpad
its actually recommend that you dont use either of these.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
parisot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: Doesn’t matter
Carrier: Centennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
its actually recommend that you dont use either of these.
Why do you say that?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisot View Post
Why do you say that?

How to Add Vendor Locked Themes - BlackBerryFAQ

read requirements
Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
parisot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Confused

Yeah, those directions say open it in a text editor... Notepad and wordpad are text editors. So I don't understand why you say neither...
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 PM   #8
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisot View Post
Yeah, those directions say open it in a text editor... Notepad and wordpad are text editors. So I don't understand why you say neither...
Those directions actually say "A decent plain text editor (notepad not recommended)."

Now, as the author I will tell you why: Microsoft uses different encoding in their text editors than pretty much everything else on the market. For example the character used to make a new line from a unix text editor will not always work in notepad, and you'll get one long line for the entire file, with box characters where a new line should occur.

Similarly some scripts will ignore the windows new line character and interpret a file as all one line.

In the case of alx files, I don't think this makes a different at present. But to be on the safe side - because I have personally had experiences where everything looked fine in notepad and crapped out when a program had to interpret it - I've recommended something else.

Textpad is a fantastic editor - the best aside from VIM IMO - and I highly recommend it as it's easy to use, has lots of useful features, and encodes properly (or not, if that's what you want).
Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
Those directions actually say "A decent plain text editor (notepad not recommended)."

Now, as the author I will tell you why: Microsoft uses different encoding in their text editors than pretty much everything else on the market. For example the character used to make a new line from a unix text editor will not always work in notepad, and you'll get one long line for the entire file, with box characters where a new line should occur.

Similarly some scripts will ignore the windows new line character and interpret a file as all one line.

In the case of alx files, I don't think this makes a different at present. But to be on the safe side - because I have personally had experiences where everything looked fine in notepad and crapped out when a program had to interpret it - I've recommended something else.

Textpad is a fantastic editor - the best aside from VIM IMO - and I highly recommend it as it's easy to use, has lots of useful features, and encodes properly (or not, if that's what you want).
good deal thanks for the clarification. I had issues when I edited with notepad as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
parisot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post

That is nice to know, thanks for sharing the info.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
Workingmen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

Thanks for all the responses. I was having trouble saving after modifying with NotePad. TextPad worked very well. Thanks.
Closed Thread