Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #41
rachaelt98

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
Clear tape, not too thick, should do the trick.
I did this with clear packing tape this morning. Before I read this. Works great!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #42
HannahEhrlich

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-Mobile
Default lost that copper spoon and tape your mentioning.....

I have the same issue with my blackberry pearl physically not clicking. I already know it is because I lost that copper spoon and yellow tape covering, or the magnetic dot as I refer to it.

Is there anywhere to purchase a replacement for that piece specifically, I have ruthlessly tried searching the internet for such a part and cannot find one. If not can anyone think of something I can use that will allow it to work, I just want my phone to work again. I managed to break the glass on a friends iPhone I was borrowing while waiting to fix this, so really just a solution would be great.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #43
monkeee2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330m
PIN: s and needles
Carrier: Sprint

Pack of 5 for $1.50, free shipping.

... For the 83xx series, per that site. I didn't see one for a pearl on their site though :(

Last edited by monkeee2002; 08-29-2009 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 08-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #44
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I carry my BB in a hip holster and never have had an isue. Some of my co-workers carry it in the slip carrier that comes with the BB and most have had track ball issues. I think it may be the pocket lint causing the problems........maybe..
Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #45
fjuliadi

Carrier: O2
Smile

[QUOTE=Raptor464;1330107]This is the correct procedure to follow if your trackball click function is lost. I have performed it quite a few times on multiple berry's and have had success every time. What happens sometimes is moisture can get into the contact's housing which causes some corrosion. By prying up the tape slightly exposing the contact, you can clean the corrosion with a small blade. What I have had the most trouble with is with the resetting of the contact into the housing. It can take multiple tries to get the contact to sit it the perfect position so that the edges make contact with the side contacts and the center of the button is able to touch the center contact upon depression. Be very careful when cleaning the contact itself with alcohol because if you do not allow enough time for the alcohol to dry, your contact will again become corroded and not function correctly. I would love to post a step by step instruction on this procedure but I do not have a high resolution camera to take pictures.

EDIT: I have found a nice guide by member CrackBerryHead that details the procedure:

Thanks Raptor464, the pdf file you posted, it is a good guide.....!
It helps me fix the clicking problem that I have.

Thanks again and appreciate all you guys did in this forum...it really helps a lot.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #46
Ariakas

Model: 7820
Carrier: Telus

So today I had my BB 8830 in my jean pocket for the first time and guess what... the trackball won't click after pulling it out of my jean pocket at the end of the day... tried the compressed air and clean the trackball but no success. Read Raptor464 post and checked out the pdf link. Follow those instructions and now it's fixed . Thx all for the contributions, especially Raptor464.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #47
beanuh

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Default i love you

nice. I just took the copper spoon thing out, chiseled the corrosion out and i popped it back in and it works. well....i lost that tape film thing that was over it, but i cut up a small piece of scotch tape and now it works even better. thanks.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #48
Dutchy

Model: 9000
Carrier: KPN

I had exactly the same problem with my Bold. There was absolutely no response when I pressed the trackball. Firs I cleaned it a couple of times but it didnxxx8217;t matter. Then I ordered some of these new copper things that are under the trackball called xxx8220;domexxx8221;, online.
I found them on a Chinese website called Cellular Nationwide Network. (can't place the link because then i get some crappy error message that I havent posted enough.....)
It took them 3 weeks to send these things from Hongkong to Hollandxxx8230;. anyway the installation only took 10 minutes and it worked 100% fine!! And the installation was really easy!

Last edited by Dutchy; 10-06-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Old 10-11-2009, 01:49 AM   #49
npdragon09

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default need solution for contact

I have 2 pearls that I'd like to get working again but neither of them have the contact underneath the trackball. Any ideas?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #50
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
This is the correct procedure to follow if your trackball click function is lost. I have performed it quite a few times on multiple berry's and have had success every time. What happens sometimes is moisture can get into the contact's housing which causes some corrosion. By prying up the tape slightly exposing the contact, you can clean the corrosion with a small blade. What I have had the most trouble with is with the resetting of the contact into the housing. It can take multiple tries to get the contact to sit it the perfect position so that the edges make contact with the side contacts and the center of the button is able to touch the center contact upon depression. Be very careful when cleaning the contact itself with alcohol because if you do not allow enough time for the alcohol to dry, your contact will again become corroded and not function correctly. I would love to post a step by step instruction on this procedure but I do not have a high resolution camera to take pictures.
Recently, my clicking trackball stopped working on my BlackBerry Bold, and it's out of warranty. I decided to open it up, and actually did the following:

I used a weakly magnetized jeweler's screwdriver (swipe fridge magnet to magnetize it a little), to help me move parts around such as the spoon (bowl). This is a clicker just like a keyboard button, but this clicker is special: On the BlackBerry Bold, the trackball clicker is a removable piece of circular metal that's not soldered down! Which means it's possible to self-repair this clicker. As preparation, pour some rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) into its bottlecap, very lightly dip Q-tips very partially into the bottlecap, wait for the Q-tip to mostly dry out (stay slightly damp with rubbing alcohol), and use that as my cleaning tools. Have extra dry Q-Tips as well, for cleaning and drying.

1. After removing trackball, clean all the dirt and dust you see. Blast with canned air (carefully).
2. Clean insides of the trackball depression area with one dry Q-tip followed immediately by one very slightly-isopropyl-dampened Q-Tip immediately followed by a third, dry Q-tip.
3. The metal clicker ("spoon" or "bowl") is a removable unit under the orange--copper tape. No conductor is attached to it. Peel it carefully off the tape using the tip of a jeweler's screwdriver. Can also instead use tip of a thumbtack or the tip of am exacto knife, or such. It's just a square piece of clear orange/copper tape covering the metal clicker ("spoon")
4. Rub that tiny spoon/bowl between two of the previously-dampened Q-tips, over a clean sheet of paper or clean surface.
5. Rub the revealed inside contact on BlackBerry with previously-dampened Q-tip, immediately by drying with a dry Q-tip.
6. Use the weakly magnetized jeweler's screwdriver to drop the metal bowl (spoon) back into the square-shaped holder (er, diamond-shaped, as it is rotated 45 degrees on a Bold). It's easier to use a weakly magnetized rod to move the tiny bowl around, than to use needle-nose pliers.
7. Put the tape back on. carefully, using the tip of the jeweler's screwdriver to manipulate the piece of tape back into location, before pressing it down. Be careful that the clicker (spoon) does not stick or shift around.

Working replacements for the copper/orange tape, if it is ruined or dirtied when you remove it off the metal clicker circle (spoon/bowl)

- Use a low-tack tape solution. Real tape is too sticky, keeps it from clicking too well, and hard to maintain in the future next time it fails. So I used 3M low-tack tape (post-it-note stickiness), which is available as the 3M blue-roll of scotch-like tape (It was also a popular screen protector for the Palm Grafitti area in year 1997 through 1999)
- You can even cut out a tiny square piece of Post-It Note, and use it instead of the orange/copper tape. It works great, until it gets wet for extended periods. To water-proof it, you can put clear packing tape on the top of the Post-It note to 'laminate' it, before you cut out a tiny square piece (with the low-tack stickiness facing downwards).
- If you have access to an electronics supply store, Kapton tape works as well if it is not too sticky, but most Kapton tape is more sticky than the existing copper/orange square piece of tape.

Both of the above solutions works great as a quick fix, if you're already used to disassembling your BlackBerry.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 10-12-2009 at 04:52 PM..
Old 11-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #51
swimmer_09

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
Thanks to all that have posted here.

Before I actually try removing this square copper film I just want to clarify something.

Are we talking about the actualy PHYSICAL CLICK that the trackball does when you press it "in"? Or are we just talking about the ability for the trackcall to execute the "select" command when pressing it "in".

In my case (Pearl) the PHYSICAL CLICK is missing. I can still "select" by pressing "in" on the ball, but that physical click isn't there anymore.

To be clear I'm talking about something that is non-electronic. That is to say that even if the power is off and the battery is out, every trackball should still have that physical "click" when you press it in. It's a phycial "spring" felling or something that physically pushed the track ball back up once depressed. This is what I'm talking about.

So will the removal and cleaning of this square copper film repair that physical resistance that you should get when you press the trackball down? Or is this just to fix the inability of the trackball to "select" whatever is on the screen at the time?

I'm interested in how to fix the physical click...that is now missing from my Pearl.
My Pearl wasn't making the physical 'click' and even though it may seem that there should be a 'spring' feeling there actually isn't one. All it takes to fix it is taking that clear tape piece off, cleaning it and the contact under it with a little rubbing alcohol, and the physical 'click' returns!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #52
mrr27

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
I had exactly the same problem with my Bold. There was absolutely no response when I pressed the trackball. Firs I cleaned it a couple of times but it didn’t matter. Then I ordered some of these new copper things that are under the trackball called “dome”, online.
I found them on a Chinese website called Cellular Nationwide Network. (can't place the link because then i get some crappy error message that I havent posted enough.....)
It took them 3 weeks to send these things from Hongkong to Holland…. anyway the installation only took 10 minutes and it worked 100% fine!! And the installation was really easy!
I need to do the same thing- I bought the replacement copper part but am stuck on how to install the new copper part and unistall the old one. Any tips or instructions on how to do that? Thanks!
Old 12-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #53

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr27 View Post
I need to do the same thing- I bought the replacement copper part but am stuck on how to install the new copper part and unistall the old one. Any tips or instructions on how to do that? Thanks!
Here is the complete procedure, with pictures, for replacing the "dome" aka trackball select switch. It is a pdf file which requires that you have adobe acrobat reader.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trackball Select Repair.pdf (250.2 KB, 1477 views)
Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #54
spacedrifter

Model: pearl
Carrier: tmobile
Default tweak it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojocrandall View Post
I have had this problem occur 2-3 times since I have had my Curve. I tried many things - removing/cleaning the trackball numerous times, messing with the "copper spoon" as Thatzmister2 mentions above, full power off (battery removal) many times, even procured and installed a whole new trackball assembly - and none these worked. BUT what did seem to clear it up was when I "tweaked" the unit somewhat - i.e. wrangling it's neck, so to speak - by grabbing it length-wise in both hands and the clicking function started working again. This sounds crazy, but after exhausting all I could think of, I assumed something was wrong internally and had nothing to lose. Since the episodes of the of the non-functional clicking came about only after I would have my Curve in my jeans pocket while doing chores/work around the house, maybe the unit got messed up during that activity. I now only carry the unit in the holster and the clicking issue has not occurred again.
Ok yep I "tweaked" the crud out of it and all of a sudden it works... what do you know?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #55
johannajebediah

Model: 8310
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
One thing to try rather than prying up the contact switch is putting something on the bottom of the trackball. If you pull the trackball and the contact switch is springy if you press it with something pointy, then the contact switch isn't the problem.

I added a small piece of plastic to the underside of the trackball, held with a small piece of scotch tape. Pictures attached.

There's a slight circular bump in the metal on the bottom of the trackball housing. The edge of it is just barely visible underneath the plastic in the blurry picture. The piece of plastic just adds to the bump without having to physically bend the metal.

Don't use anything too thick or it will put constant pressure on the switch. I used one of those fake credit cards that comes in credit card offers. Pretty clumsy cutting, but although it's too big, it worked.
THANK YOU SO MUCH
i tried all the methods mentioned here, even the "wringing out like a sponge" method, and my trackball still wouldn't click. This worked perfectly. I used a cue card and cut it into a small piece and this saved me having to send my blackberry in for repair.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #56
Solstice68

Model: 8630
Carrier: Virgin
Default Trackball "click" not working

I tried all the blackberry surgery stuff and well if the twisting the phone thing was the only thing that worked!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #57
retro-steve

Model: 9000

May be reviving a bit of a thread here, but I got hydrogen peroxide on my Bold trackball (finger was smashed and had it all over my finger). The phone started acting crazy pressing buttons when I wasn't doing anything, kind of like spilling pop on a computer keyboard. After blowing compressed air through it the trackball would no longer select or scroll. Being out of warranty I did this process of taking off the sensor dome, scrubbing it with rubbing alcohol as well as the contact, blowing compressed air through and replacing the trackball. It now works, I do have to press the ball a little harder than before and sometimes it double clicks, but seeing as how I'm only a couple months away from being eligible to upgrade this is a lot better than $500 for a new Bold.

I found the copper colour tape would not stick so I used Scotch tape and cut a square of the same size, works just as well, as other people have stated here.

This is not a daunting task, everyone warns if you are not electronically inclined not to attempt, but as long as you're not completely retarded it should be fine. Be careful with everything and follow all instructions step by step and it's really easy. *side note I may be slightly more electronically inclined than most people, but anyone can do this with steady hands and not too forceful pressure, especially on the retention clips on the Bold trackball assembly.*
Old 03-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #58
Martinator

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Default Could it be Google Maps?

Recently I had this problem where the trackball wouldn't click.

I took it to Verizon and they couldn't fix or diagnose it.

Oh well.

In the meantime I had a lot of apps on my BBery Pearl. One day I uninstalled Google Maps because I wanted to free up space.

After that, my track ball magically was able to click.

Yeay!

I reinstall Google Maps and Latitude. Trackball click still works. Wait, now it works more slowly. Hmmm, now even slower to respond.

Now it doesn't respond at all.

What could it be in Google Maps that make the Trackball unclickable after a while?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #59
bernz1977

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

Hello, I used Raptor's referenced video and my trackball now clicks to execute a program. Thank you so much for helping!
Old 03-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #60
jessplynch

Carrier: at&t
Talking Found It!!!

i found a site that sells them and pretty much everything else

fonlogix
google it cuz i cant post links
Closed Thread