Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #21
mishuu13

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers
Default fixxx

Please Login to Remove!

alright so my blackberry was doing the same thing i have the curve. what i did was i took out the trackball and under it the orange part that clicks i just rested a piece of paper ontop or now a thin piece of plastic works fine again. dont be scared to take out the trackball its not hard and will not ruin your phone just clicks right back in
Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
ss1248

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

My Curve had the same issue too (after a day of skiing - I'm an idiot.) In addition to the trackball not clicking, holding down alt or shift for a number/capital letter wouldn't work, and typing in general was slower (key presses were missed.)

I fixed it by removing the trackball, removing the copper colored piece on the circuit board that the "spoon" makes contact with, and then cleaning the contact underneath of that with a pencil eraser. I didn't see any, but there must have been a bit of corrosion there as now all of the functions work again! (I'm not sure how the keyboard ties into the trackball, but in this issue it does.) To reassemble, stick the copper piece back on (like a sticker) and reassemble the trackball and trim ring.

Pulling off the copper piece takes a bit of work, but go at a corner very carefully with an x-acto knife (or something very thin/blade-like) and slide underneath of it, and then use tweezers to remove it the rest of the way. (It's like a sticker.) Be careful not to cut the copper piece or lose it once it's out of the phone as replacements aren't available, so you'd have to find another BB to swap a new one from if yours is lost.

Last edited by ss1248; 03-23-2009 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #23
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1248 View Post
My Curve had the same issue too (after a day of skiing - I'm an idiot.) In addition to the trackball not clicking, holding down alt or shift for a number/capital letter wouldn't work, and typing in general was slower (key presses were missed.)

I fixed it by removing the trackball, removing the copper colored piece on the circuit board that the "spoon" makes contact with, and then cleaning the contact underneath of that with a pencil eraser. I didn't see any, but there must have been a bit of corrosion there as now all of the functions work again! (I'm not sure how the keyboard ties into the trackball, but in this issue it does.) To reassemble, stick the copper piece back on (like a sticker) and reassemble the trackball and trim ring.

Pulling off the copper piece takes a bit of work, but go at a corner very carefully with an x-acto knife (or something very thin/blade-like) and slide underneath of it, and then use tweezers to remove it the rest of the way. (It's like a sticker.) Be careful not to cut the copper piece or lose it once it's out of the phone as replacements aren't available, so you'd have to find another BB to swap a new one from if yours is lost.
This is the correct procedure to follow if your trackball click function is lost. I have performed it quite a few times on multiple berry's and have had success every time. What happens sometimes is moisture can get into the contact's housing which causes some corrosion. By prying up the tape slightly exposing the contact, you can clean the corrosion with a small blade. What I have had the most trouble with is with the resetting of the contact into the housing. It can take multiple tries to get the contact to sit it the perfect position so that the edges make contact with the side contacts and the center of the button is able to touch the center contact upon depression. Be very careful when cleaning the contact itself with alcohol because if you do not allow enough time for the alcohol to dry, your contact will again become corroded and not function correctly. I would love to post a step by step instruction on this procedure but I do not have a high resolution camera to take pictures.

EDIT: I have found a nice guide by member CrackBerryHead that details the procedure: http://www.audsound.net/_share/bbtb_select_fix.pdf

Last edited by Raptor464; 03-23-2009 at 02:44 PM..
Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #24
kevboy

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Before I read this thread, I ripped the copper contact tape trying to clean it. Anyone know where I can find a replacement or an alternative? Thanks!

Last edited by kevboy; 03-26-2009 at 06:03 PM..
Old 04-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #25
chelseababe

Carrier: at&t
Red face

i think the leather case they give with the phone in the beginning is rim's solution to prevent this from happening. ;) . this has happened to me and i regret not using the case
Old 04-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #26
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevboy View Post
Before I read this thread, I ripped the copper contact tape trying to clean it. Anyone know where I can find a replacement or an alternative? Thanks!
Clear tape, not too thick, should do the trick.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #27
kevboy

I actually did that a while ago and forgot to post my results. I used regular clear tape and it worked like a charm. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #28
dewbieZ

Carrier: ATT

Absolutely hilarious, I just wrung my blackberry's neck and it too started to respond. You are the man dude. I was wondering forever what the hell happened, it would just periodically click when I pushed hard. . . but now that I squeezed it (length wise) it's working good as new.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #29
EverBlue

Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
I have found a nice guide by member CrackBerryHead that details the procedure:
So glad you posted this guide.
Had my Blackberry in my jeans all day without the little case that I usually use (I somehow lost it in my bed last night while sleeping, found it now though) and didn't think anything would come of it. Get home after 8 hours of work, and it won't click! Popped that little guy off and cleaned it, and stuck it back on (which was a pain) and works perfect now.
I'm worrying what the next self-repair I'm gonna have to do will be.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #30
Verminator

Model: 8330

Thanks to all that have posted here.

Before I actually try removing this square copper film I just want to clarify something.

Are we talking about the actualy PHYSICAL CLICK that the trackball does when you press it "in"? Or are we just talking about the ability for the trackcall to execute the "select" command when pressing it "in".

In my case (Pearl) the PHYSICAL CLICK is missing. I can still "select" by pressing "in" on the ball, but that physical click isn't there anymore.

To be clear I'm talking about something that is non-electronic. That is to say that even if the power is off and the battery is out, every trackball should still have that physical "click" when you press it in. It's a phycial "spring" felling or something that physically pushed the track ball back up once depressed. This is what I'm talking about.

So will the removal and cleaning of this square copper film repair that physical resistance that you should get when you press the trackball down? Or is this just to fix the inability of the trackball to "select" whatever is on the screen at the time?

I'm interested in how to fix the physical click...that is now missing from my Pearl.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #31
bpollard

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

I actually had the physical "click" but it just didn't work (most of the time). I took my phone to www . bb repair shop . com and they replaced the copper pad for me. But if you don't have the click, then your problem might be with the ball itself? Have you tried replacing that - they are relatively cheap...
I don't know what your (financial) situation is, but if you can spare the $, just take/ship the phone to the BB repair guys, I found them to be very honest and wonderful to work with.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #32
Jray5756

Carrier: Metro PCS

If your trackball wont click at all check this video out that shows you how to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbklyn View Post
I've had an 8310 for a little over a month. One day the trackball would not function correctly...I could navigate, but the "click" feature will not work.

I took the trackball out, cleaned the mechanism and inside with air and nothing. I also swabbed some rubbing alcohol on the ball as I've read in some posts and also no results. I also put the trackball from an 8800 in there and it also did not function.

Is there some setting I may have hit somewhere to disable the click feature? I am getting annoyed with having to navigate with the trackball and then hit enter or menu to be able to proceed.

This is my fifth BlackBerry and I'm becoming very impatent with the company. As they add more features, they are becoming more and more unreliable. I may just return to my 7290 again and forget about all the bells and whistles.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #33
Jray5756

Carrier: Metro PCS

If your trackball wont click at all check this video out that shows you how to fix it.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #34
SweetSpot

Carrier: att

@Raptor464: This is what solved my problem! Thank you so much for posting this solution. I was getting ready to throw my BB against the wall.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #35
madmonke
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Well since you already seem brave enough to yank the trackball out (and since you cannot select you really have nothing to lose unless you are under warranty (I that case run don't walk to the nearest store)... Ok (AFTER removing the battery), remove the trackball and under it you will see what looks somewhat like a copper "spoon" this piece presses down on a contact to perform the "enter" function. GENTLY pry it up so that you can see under it. You might see some green corrosion. You can use a knife or small flathead to gently scrap it off (both the bottom side of the "spoon" and the contact below. Blow some compressed air when you are done install the trackball and give it a shot.

Let me know!

E-

Thank you thank you!!

my trackball 'click' started acting up over the weekend and I was getting rather upset. I saw the copper tab under there and thought that could be the problem but had no idea what to do. I read and followed your post and now it works again!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #36
soulbmx

Thumbs up

Got mine working with the link from above showing how to clean under the ball!

It works now. I have to click it harder than normal, but it does work!
Old 07-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #37
Technologic80
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330

For the record, you can also buy replacement trackballs on ebay for $4/ea. I replace mine every 6 mos or so - thats usually when they start to act up, cleaning them has never worked for me. And for $4 - why bother cleaning it when you can get a nice new one for cheap!
Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #38
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologic80 View Post
For the record, you can also buy replacement trackballs on ebay for $4/ea. I replace mine every 6 mos or so - thats usually when they start to act up, cleaning them has never worked for me. And for $4 - why bother cleaning it when you can get a nice new one for cheap!
That won't fix the select issue when you get corrosion under the contact.... but I'm with you. I replace my frequently, can't stand a dirty looking ball!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 07-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #39
barsouma

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
That won't fix the select issue when you get corrosion under the contact.... but I'm with you. I replace my frequently, can't stand a dirty looking ball!

E-
I followed your instructions on how to clean under the contact and it worked like a charm. Using a knife to scrape the corrosion off seems to work better than a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #40
Chana

Model: 8600
Carrier: fido

[QUOTE=Raptor464;1330107]This is the correct procedure to follow if your trackball click function is lost. I have performed it quite a few times on multiple berry's and have had success every time. What happens sometimes is moisture can get into the contact's housing which causes some corrosion. By prying up the tape slightly exposing the contact, you can clean the corrosion with a small blade. What I have had the most trouble with is with the resetting of the contact into the housing. It can take multiple tries to get the contact to sit it the perfect position so that the edges make contact with the side contacts and the center of the button is able to touch the center contact upon depression. Be very careful when cleaning the contact itself with alcohol because if you do not allow enough time for the alcohol to dry, your contact will again become corroded and not function correctly. I would love to post a step by step instruction on this procedure but I do not have a high resolution camera to take pictures.

I tried the CrackBerryHead procedure that you posted and followed all the instructions. When I strated up my phone again and clicked on the trackball the click was more of a click, it pushed deeper but it still didn't register as a click on the phone. So although it would seem that it works better by the way pushing the trackball feels (and sounds) I am still stuck with the same problem...
Any ideas?
Closed Thread