Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
jzbklyn

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Trackball won't "click"

Please Login to Remove!

I've had an 8310 for a little over a month. One day the trackball would not function correctly...I could navigate, but the "click" feature will not work.

I took the trackball out, cleaned the mechanism and inside with air and nothing. I also swabbed some rubbing alcohol on the ball as I've read in some posts and also no results. I also put the trackball from an 8800 in there and it also did not function.

Is there some setting I may have hit somewhere to disable the click feature? I am getting annoyed with having to navigate with the trackball and then hit enter or menu to be able to proceed.

This is my fifth BlackBerry and I'm becoming very impatent with the company. As they add more features, they are becoming more and more unreliable. I may just return to my 7290 again and forget about all the bells and whistles.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
option94
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 21BFC0A1
Carrier: T-Mobile

go to Setting>screen/keyboard> scroll down to the bottom and set audible roll to "click"
Old 03-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
jzbklyn

Thanks--I did change that and still nothing. I press and hold down the trackball and it will not select what I clicked on.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I think the OP is referring to pushing on the trackball to select something, not the audible click sound made when the trackball is rolled.

There is no setting for this. If it doesn't work it's likely a hardware issue and you will need to have the device repaired or replaced.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
option94
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 21BFC0A1

you could try this:

BlackBerry 81xx/83xx/88xx OEM trackball- LG, Alcatel, SonyEricsson, NEC, Tools, Motorola, BlackBerry, Accessories Store,
Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Well since you already seem brave enough to yank the trackball out (and since you cannot select you really have nothing to lose unless you are under warranty (I that case run don't walk to the nearest store)... Ok (AFTER removing the battery), remove the trackball and under it you will see what looks somewhat like a copper "spoon" this piece presses down on a contact to perform the "enter" function. GENTLY pry it up so that you can see under it. You might see some green corrosion. You can use a knife or small flathead to gently scrap it off (both the bottom side of the "spoon" and the contact below. Blow some compressed air when you are done install the trackball and give it a shot.

Let me know!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 03-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
rojocrandall
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have had this problem occur 2-3 times since I have had my Curve. I tried many things - removing/cleaning the trackball numerous times, messing with the "copper spoon" as Thatzmister2 mentions above, full power off (battery removal) many times, even procured and installed a whole new trackball assembly - and none these worked. BUT what did seem to clear it up was when I "tweaked" the unit somewhat - i.e. wrangling it's neck, so to speak - by grabbing it length-wise in both hands and the clicking function started working again. This sounds crazy, but after exhausting all I could think of, I assumed something was wrong internally and had nothing to lose. Since the episodes of the of the non-functional clicking came about only after I would have my Curve in my jeans pocket while doing chores/work around the house, maybe the unit got messed up during that activity. I now only carry the unit in the holster and the clicking issue has not occurred again.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
jzbklyn

rojocrandall...you hit the nail on the head! It stopped working properly on a day when I had it in my jeans pocket!

I did try the squeeze method and so far it has worked a couple of times. Thanks!

Thatzmister2u, I did try your method, but it didn't work.

Thanks all for offering assistance!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
rojocrandall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Good to hear...
Old 05-30-2008, 03:27 AM   #10
fstraat

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojocrandall View Post
BUT what did seem to clear it up was when I "tweaked" the unit somewhat - i.e. wrangling it's neck, so to speak - by grabbing it length-wise in both hands and the clicking function started working again.
Hi rojocrandall, I´m having the exact same issue after having my Curve in my jean pocket. What do you mean by tweaking it?

I´ve tried holding the neck like you said and tried to move it around, but nothing... this is so frustrating

thanks!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #11
conniekchung

Model: 8300
Carrier: t-mobile

Yeah I'm having this issue too. Mine was bought off of ebay but it was supposed to be in mint condition. My trackball will navigate but when selecting something i have to press it realllly hard in order for anything to be selected. i cleaned the ball and everything but it still isnt working. rojocrandall what do you mean by wrangling it? could you demonstrate with pictures or something?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
bpollard

Model: 8820
Default same deal with me

it stopped functioning properly after a long day in my (tight) jeans!
I tried to bend the BB "outward" and this seemed to help a little bit.

I bought a new trackball while troubleshooting this problem. what about taking the metal handle from the old trackball (the part that makes contact with the copper pad on the BB motherboard) and glueing it onto the new trackball - thus increasing it's width.

has anyone tried this?
Brad
Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
TangoWhiskey

I've been having this same problem, but none of the 'cures' have worked for me. I guess I'll just see if they can fix it at the store where I bought it. Does anyone know if insurance will cover this?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #14
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

One thing to try rather than prying up the contact switch is putting something on the bottom of the trackball. If you pull the trackball and the contact switch is springy if you press it with something pointy, then the contact switch isn't the problem.

I added a small piece of plastic to the underside of the trackball, held with a small piece of scotch tape. Pictures attached.

There's a slight circular bump in the metal on the bottom of the trackball housing. The edge of it is just barely visible underneath the plastic in the blurry picture. The piece of plastic just adds to the bump without having to physically bend the metal.

Don't use anything too thick or it will put constant pressure on the switch. I used one of those fake credit cards that comes in credit card offers. Pretty clumsy cutting, but although it's too big, it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trackball.jpg
Views:	2134
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	14060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trackball2.JPG
Views:	1754
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	14061  
Old 12-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
Hustle75

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojocrandall View Post
I have had this problem occur 2-3 times since I have had my Curve. I tried many things - removing/cleaning the trackball numerous times, messing with the "copper spoon" as Thatzmister2 mentions above, full power off (battery removal) many times, even procured and installed a whole new trackball assembly - and none these worked. BUT what did seem to clear it up was when I "tweaked" the unit somewhat - i.e. wrangling it's neck, so to speak - by grabbing it length-wise in both hands and the clicking function started working again. This sounds crazy, but after exhausting all I could think of, I assumed something was wrong internally and had nothing to lose. Since the episodes of the of the non-functional clicking came about only after I would have my Curve in my jeans pocket while doing chores/work around the house, maybe the unit got messed up during that activity. I now only carry the unit in the holster and the clicking issue has not occurred again.
This advice worked!

I had the exact same thing happen. Had the phone in the back pocket of my jeans when playing fooseball. .....twist it like your wringing out a wet sponge. Thanks Alot! Who would have thought!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 AM   #16
Stravs

Model: 8100
Thumbs up Get out your tweezers!

The problem is not in the trackball, but in the contact on the motherboard (at least in my unit it was). I had an old pearl laying around so I cannibalized it for parts. It's a pretty simple fix but it requires patience, a q-tip, some rubbing alcohol, and a pair of pointed tweezers.

When you remove your trackball you see a raised square that is covered with a piece of copper colored tape (of the same size). That tape secures the convex contact that is responsible for making the "click" sound and providing the feedback when the trackball is pressed. The problem is that sometimes these become worn out and lose their elasticity. Solution? Replace the contact.

Like I said before, I had to remove this part from an old phone I had laying around. I couldn't find this particular part anywhere on the net. Test to make sure your spare part makes the click sound before you remove it and put it in your new(er) phone. Here's how it works:

Take the batteries out of both phones. Remove both trackballs and use a q-tip and some alcohol to make sure the parts are clean. Remove the contact in the scrap phone by taking a pair of pointed tweezers and working the edge until you get a corner up enough to grab hold and peel away from the motherboard (note the orientation of the part relative to the rest of the phone before removing). Be careful not to tear the tape or damage the part when removing. The contact (small circular convex metal piece in the center) should remain intact with the tape.

Assuming you have a usable replacement, remove the damaged one from the other unit in the same manner and set aside. Using your tweezers, position the working contact in the exact same position as the old. Make sure that the edges are flush and square on the motherboard. When you think it looks right, take the dry side of the q-tip and press all around the edges to help the residual glue to adhere.

Replace the trackball, retaining clip, and chrome o-ring and give it a press. It should feel exactly how you remember. Replace the battery, turn the phone on and cross your fingers Mine worked perfectly - hopefully yours turns out the same.

PS. This is the same part in both the pearl and the curve, no worries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intact.jpg.JPG
Views:	2398
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	14868   Click image for larger version

Name:	removed.jpg.JPG
Views:	2354
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	14869  
Old 01-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
Cravenfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Don't eat chips and then prior to wiping your hands (of the salt) use your BB. I freaked out at lunch one day. It took a while to work the grit out.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #18
sonofpear

Smile

WooHoo! I may have found a solution to this. I had my Bold in my pocket last night and this morning the trackball stopped clicking. It worked fine for a few hours and then nothing. I had to hit "enter" to get anything to select. I was about to resign myself to calling for a warranty exchange. Instead, I blew some compressed air in the trackball while flicking it and clicking it rapidly. It works perfectly now. It may have been lint or some other debris.

Good luck to the other clicker challenged!

Last edited by sonofpear; 01-25-2009 at 02:46 PM..
Old 01-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #19
tndsmith33
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
Carrier: Rogers

Let us all learn from this...

Blackberry in jeans pocket leads to a trackball that does not want to work properly. I now will no longer throw it in my pocket at work.

Thanks for this insight.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #20
jtran91

Carrier: rogers

i never put it into my jean pocket. but i do put it in my coat pocket. is this a problem?
Closed Thread