Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
impalement

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default USB problem

Please Login to Remove!

Dear all,

Sincere apologies if this issue has been addressed before, I simply could not find the solution. I recently bought an unlocked used Curve 8310 and it came with a non-usb wall charger, which charges the phone fine.

I bought a couple of data cables to connect it to the computer. The computer neither charges the device nor recognizes it. I then installed an sd card and rebooted, and tried again. Nothing. Then I checked the mass storage mode was on, and tried again, still nothing. I installed the desktop software, still nothing. I installed the latest blackberry os on the computer. Still nothing. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the port and about to take it to an electronics repair place. Before I do, anyone have any ideas on what else I might be missing? The guy that sold it to me says he connected the phone to the pc to unlock it, so there must be something wrong with my computer, but I'm fairly certain everything is fine (BTW, I also tried multiple usb cables and different ports, but no luck).

Any ideas before I spend extra money at the repair shop will be most appreciated. Thanks very much,

John
Old 08-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: USB problem

Two thoughts ...

The statement that the device was connected to a pc to unlock it is worrisome. I won't go into it, but it is possible the device has been damaged by what the person did.

Are you using USB cables from RIM (the maker of BlackBerrys)? Are they cables for data as well as charging, and not cables that only charge?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Also, do you have Desktop Manager loaded on the PC and does it recognize the BB? DM comes with the correct drives to charge and to sync data. Be sure you are connecting directly into the PC, into a powered USB port and not via a HUB.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

To OP, Desktop Manager is aka the desktop software.

OP says they installed it.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
impalement

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for replying..

@aiharkness I tried both a charger only cable and a data cable (aftermarket bought from staples).

@Dubdub I installed desktop manager, but it doesnt recognize the BB. I am connecting through a usb port and not via a hub.

Actually, when I plug in the BB into the computer, the pc doesn't even try to recognize the device. Its like I didn't plug in anything at all.

Thanks again guys,
John
Old 08-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

My advice is try a RIM cable. I expect the aftermarket cable should work, but perhaps not.

The charge-only cable of course may working for charging, but only charging. Does the BlackBerry in fact charge on USB when you use the charge-only cable? If so, that would be an indication the the USB connector on the BlackBerry is ok.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
impalement

Hmm, I might try that. Actually the BB never charges over USB. The only way I charge it is to use a non usb cable connected to a wall socket. That makes me think the USB connected on the BB is the problem.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

From my very limited personal experience with this particular type of issue, it is a good sign if the device charges on a wall charger connected to the USB. At the the connector isn't broken altogether.

At this point, I would be interested if it works with an OEM USB cable, and also what happens with another computer with Desktop Manager installed (if you haven't already tried that).
Old 08-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

What version of DM are you using? Since the 8310 is relatively old, you might want to try an older version of DM. I have seen reports of DM 7 not being very user friendly and for whatever reason it doesn't seem to like some older devices.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
impalement

Well, took it to the repair shop, and the guy says there is some damage on the usb port of the BB. Looks like a hardware issue. Thanks for all your help and suggestions folks, will update you with the final outcome soon.

John
Closed Thread