Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Airpoppoff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Exclamation REVIEW: Seidio Innocase 360 for Bold

Please Login to Remove!

I'm here to tell you about the new $35 case Seidio sells for the BB Bold called the "Innocase 360"

The other cases I have:
  • Otterbox Defender
  • Seidio Innocase Surface
  • InvisibleShield Full Body shield.
About me:

Most would say "man your a case freak" well, their is one thing I cant live without, and it's my blackberry, and I'm a Safety Director for a large Concrete Construction company that works in the Office 50% and in the dirty field 50%. When I'm using my phone for casual or office I need it to be protected from drops and falls and getting scratched up. But when I'm out in the field I need it to be protected from everything. (Hence the Otterbox).

Pretty much the only downside to the otterbox is its size and bulkyness, So when Seidio came out with the new "Innocase 360" I was like sweet, It works with my belt clip that I use for the surface, with the added protection of the keyboard and face, without the bulkyness. Well, I was a bit wrong.

PROS
  • Small
  • Full Key protection with a good feel of keys
  • Still full access to all the ports like the other innocase's
  • Thin so it feels just like the Bold by itself.
CONS
  • You can barely see your backlit keys through the "keyboard protection"
  • The screen protection is a Joke, as you can see in the pictures, It does worse than it does good.
  • Expensive
Pictures:

As you can see the reflections between the screens.

Then if you touch the screen, only part of it bubbles up like this, their is no way to seal the whole thing no matter what you do.

Barley any light can get through this thing.

This is after one day of use, you can see the dust inbetween it.

Conclusion:

Seidio is nice enough to exchange my 360 for another innocase surface so it's not going to cost me any money and I wouldn never try give them a bad name because of that, I absolutly love my regular Innocase. (I gave my other surface to my dad). I ended up taking off the cheap screen protector just so i could actually see the screen. In the sunlight it reflects off of the screens and you cant see it, It gets dust inbetween it and gets dirty very easily. Their is no way to seal the "screen protector" to the screen so dust wont get in it because its too tight. It also scratches very easily. I wouldnt reccomend this product to anyone. I will so go about using my Innocase Surface for everything day to day, and when I'm working out on a construction site I'll be using my Bulky but indistructable Otterbox.

Hopefully this Helps people with their case purchases.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

Thank you for this awesome review!
Old 05-22-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Hmmm, mixed feelings now. I really wanted this! haha. I love the idea of having it completely covered.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpoppoff View Post
I'm here to tell you about the new $35 case Seidio sells for the BB Bold called the "Innocase 360"

The other cases I have:
  • Otterbox Defender
  • Seidio Innocase Surface
  • InvisibleShield Full Body shield.
About me:

Most would say "man your a case freak" well, their is one thing I cant live without, and it's my blackberry, and I'm a Safety Director for a large Concrete Construction company that works in the Office 50% and in the dirty field 50%. When I'm using my phone for casual or office I need it to be protected from drops and falls and getting scratched up. But when I'm out in the field I need it to be protected from everything. (Hence the Otterbox).

Pretty much the only downside to the otterbox is its size and bulkyness, So when Seidio came out with the new "Innocase 360" I was like sweet, It works with my belt clip that I use for the surface, with the added protection of the keyboard and face, without the bulkyness. Well, I was a bit wrong.

PROS
  • Small
  • Full Key protection with a good feel of keys
  • Still full access to all the ports like the other innocase's
  • Thin so it feels just like the Bold by itself.
CONS
  • You can barely see your backlit keys through the "keyboard protection"
  • The screen protection is a Joke, as you can see in the pictures, It does worse than it does good.
  • Expensive
Pictures:

As you can see the reflections between the screens.
[Omit]

Then if you touch the screen, only part of it bubbles up like this, their is no way to seal the whole thing no matter what you do.
[Omit]

Barley any light can get through this thing.
[Omit]

This is after one day of use, you can see the dust inbetween it.
[Omit]

Conclusion:

Seidio is nice enough to exchange my 360 for another innocase surface so it's not going to cost me any money and I wouldn never try give them a bad name because of that, I absolutly love my regular Innocase. (I gave my other surface to my dad). I ended up taking off the cheap screen protector just so i could actually see the screen. In the sunlight it reflects off of the screens and you cant see it, It gets dust inbetween it and gets dirty very easily. Their is no way to seal the "screen protector" to the screen so dust wont get in it because its too tight. It also scratches very easily. I wouldnt reccomend this product to anyone. I will so go about using my Innocase Surface for everything day to day, and when I'm working out on a construction site I'll be using my Bulky but indistructable Otterbox.

Hopefully this Helps people with their case purchases.
Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our case. We are sorry that you didn't like what the Innocase 360 offers, but that's why there are other choices like the Surface and our Silicone Skins!

I actually want to comment on a few things here to avoid any confusions. As we clearly stated on the insert that you received with your phone, the air bubbles that's in between your screen and the screen protector are caused by a harmless solution used during manufacturing. It will disspate within 1-2 days of use. So, no problems there.

As far as the dust goes, if you assemble the case well and clean before you put it together, you should have very limited dust or particles entering through the sides. Of course, this is not air tight, so depending on your environment, you will have varying results. Since you mentioned that you are in and out of dusty areas a lot, you are more likely to have a lot of dusts collecting then an average consumer.

Thank you for your review and your comments, I will forward this to our engineers to product improvements and future references!
Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
OzzieDog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

I just received mine today and it must be different than the one you had on your review. The screen is just as clear as if nothing is covering it, I have no problems seeing or reading the screen.
The key pad on the other hand is easy to type on great outdoors and well lite areas, however in dim or no light that is a different story the key pad is virtually unreadable. The back light not strong enough not the Bolds design but the Seidio 360. Other than that one issue the cover is great.
I found no track ball restrictions, all the ports are easy to access. Maybe the white cover on the inside of front cover can be replaced with clear material or was I suppose to remove it? Maybe I need to go back and read all the printed material. My two cents which won't buy much.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
rgr1856

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks, Matt and Ozziedog, for the reviews and hands on experience reports for the Innocase 360. I also appreciate, and impressed, with the input from Seidio. It shows they care about their customers. I have an Innocase Surface on my BB 8900 and I'm VERY impressed with it's construction, fit, red color, and ease of removal/installation. I'm going to order a 360 for my 8900, even though it has some issues. I often sweat on my phone and I want something besides an Otterbox to keep it off my phone. Besides, Seidio will exchange it if I'm unhappy with it.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:11 AM   #7
captthomason
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
PIN: to bean
Carrier: AT&T

Much like the OP, I have run the case gauntlet with Seidio products and then to Otterbox. I will not rehash what the OP said because most of my opinions of the 360 are the same. I do like the 360 better than the Otterbox, but will probably remove the screen protector that Seidio installs on teh 360. Gets too dirty, I consider myself an average user and the dirt under the screen gets excessive. Love the keyboard protection though!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
daves
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T, former Vzw

just purchased this case (innocase 360, 2 weeks ago) with the spring holster and wanted to provide my own feedback as well. I haven't posted here in a while and my old BB (Vzw 8830) I used the OEM holster as well as an aluminum 'snap in' case).

My primary use of the bold is in the office, but since I also am out and about going to meetings etc and especially on the weekends (coaching soccer games, etc.) I wanted some protection for the bold since I feel like I will drop it (or get it wet in the rain) and also I tend to get the corners dinged up when I wear it on weekends (maybe moving something in the garage, etc. the leather case and exposed bold aren't up to getting knocked around).

Overall this is a great case. It fits well and provides a great balance of usability and protection (the aluminum cases are fine if not a bit clunky and I don't like their swival clips). I like the fit and finish, and the grip feels nice to use and like it won't slip from my hands while removing it from the holster, like the OEM metal edges feel.

btw I have no relation to the seido company.

Pro's:
- great fit and finish; case still makes the BB look nice (black )
- adds protection without bulk (even with the spring clip holster, and I am not a holster guy but this holster and case actually look decent and is about as low profile as one could want, still with a rotating spring clip which is a must, not that fixed hard to use clip)
- not water resistant but will provide some protection - love the screen and keyboard protection
- the typing is basically unaffected - maybe it is a little different but I would say not more than 5%. I really like the bold keyboard and still like it equally with the case - typing is not impacted for me at all.
- all ports are exposed for access including the memory card (although I don't swap cards)
- sound from the speaker (phone or apps that use the side sound ports also) is unaffected by the case
- no complaints on voice quality when using the case
- screen protector didn't change how the screen looks / don't have to deal with bubbles
- case comes off easily as needed (not sure how many times it will last if I do take it off but for now it's fine)...start at the corner where the USB port is and work your way around - be careful not to dislodge the screen protector from the case
- grip is comfortable and helpful
- no real dust issues so far although when I did have some I just removed the case, cleaned the screen / cover and put it back on (but I am inside most of the day)
- no change in radio reception as far as I can tell
- holster supports sleep mode which is really important - my last holster before I ditched my 8830 was cheap and no sleep mode and it was a real pain..keyboard presses, etc.

con's:
- 'genericizes' the blackberry a bit - you lose your carrier logo and the escape button has only a dot, not the BB dots (probably so they would not have to pay RIM a licensing fee)
- the elegant BB bold look and feel goes away - the nice pseudo-leather on the back is no longer exposed and the metal sides and nice looking front are no longer visible
- backlighting on the keyboard is cut down (not completely but yes it is cut down - I was still able to use my BB in a dark situation but it helps to be familiar with the keyboard).
- trackball is a little harder to use ... it is still very usable but you do have to adjust slightly your trackball technique .. I find myself using more of my thumb for broader strokes and pressing down a little harder for my thumb to contact the trackball ... for me, I would have made the trackball opening 5%-8% bigger (just a guess) but maybe there are reasons they did not... they did a decent job but you will still notice a difference - still usable just a tiny bit more work
- the coloration on the top edge of my T and Y keys wore away probably due to my track ball usage .. not a big deal at all (as did the bottom perimeter of the trackball cutout at the surface where the case meets the BB, ever so slightly)
- when wearing a shirt out over one's pants, the shirt can catch in the holster when you put your BB back until you get used to how to do this
- the new locking mechanism on the holster sometimes digs into my skin a little - nothing terrible but I do notice it every now and then (when unlocked .. so far I haven't used the locking mechansim)

Overall though I am very satisfied with this one (even at the price) and would recommend to others (other choice was otterbox, but I felt removing it when needed was more difficult, and I like the design of this screen protector over that one, and this case offers very little bulk and is still accpetable in an office setting).

purchased directly from seido due to their good reputation for customer service on this board so I felt any problems would be handled, that was key.
Closed Thread