BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
bbriver

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Blackberry in Afghanistan experiences anyone?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am deploying, civilian contractor, to Afghanistan. Been there before. All the cute Apple and Android phones were basically wifi devices because of intl calling rates and other problems.

Searching around the Blackberry world, which I am new to. A friend in the Army there with me has service for his BB via Verizon. he uses the Global Plan and sends emails, Facebook and Yahoo messenger.

Here's my current plan and questions: T-mobile has an unlimited intl data plan, no contract. Discount on a new blackberry comes with a 2 year contract. is it worth it?

Does that work there as well? Can you tether a laptop there with any success? Do apps like Skype work over the data plan? Appreciate any input.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Welcome to the forums.

There is a user, dc/dc, that is deployed there now and uses his BlackBerry. I am sure when he sees this thread he'll give you some helpful insight.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Here's the skinny:

Get the add-on from Unlimited International BlackBerry E-Mail add-on from T-Mobile. On the device, go into Options > TCP, delete the epc.tmobile.com APN and disable TCP access. That way, the device will only use the blackberry.net APN, and the access will thus be free. If data is going through the blackberry.net APN (which it does if the epc.tmobile.com APN is removed and TCP disabled), there is no way for T-Mobile to discern between a browsed webpage, a chat on Google Talk, or an e-mail. As far as they're concerned, it's all e-mail, and therefore falls under the unlimited international plan. If you are charged additional, call T-Mobile, explain that TCP is disabled on the device and there is no way that you could have used the Internet, and they will remove the charges.

I've been in Afghanistan for nearly 6 months on this trip, and I have only had data charges pop up twice. Once, it was a charge for about 1 MB of transfer, so I called T-Mobile from my DSN phone, explained to the lady that I had the unlimited int'l plan with my internet settings disabled so that "just my e-mail would work", and she removed the charges immediately. The other time was my fault. I performed a device upgrade and forgot to fix the settings before turning the mobile network on. I got hit for about 50¢ on that one. Basically, if the system sees the blackberry.net APN, your add-on covers it because it is the same as e-mail. If they see epc.tmobile.com, they charge you the per-KB rate. It's pretty straightforward.

To answer your other questions, yes, you can tether, but you must have the TCP settings enabled, and you WILL be charged per-KB. The add-on does NOT cover tethering. As far as Skype is concerned, I don't know if it works on BB. I know there is the version for Verizon, but it doesn't work on my T-Mobile BlackBerry. I use Skype from my lapto because my satellite Internet service is much faster than the GPRS service I get on my BB.

Other good nuggets of information:
T-Mobile has data roaming agreements with the two largest carriers in the country, TDCA (Roshan) and AWCC. This basically will get you covered at pretty much any base or FOB in country. If you have a text messaging plan with T-Mobile, incoming texts are not charged whilst overseas, and are only 35¢ to send.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
mario_de

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Disable TCP

I have a 9700 and am on my way to AFG myself at the end of the month (at Dix right now). I have tmobile and I'm planning on getting the international plan. I understand how to remove the epc.tmobile.com but how do you disable TCP do I just uncheck the "APN Settings Enabled" box? If I do this, I can use BBM, facebook, web browsing etc without any additional data charges correct?

Feel free to PM me and appreciate the assist.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Unchecking the APN Settings Enabled box is what dc was talking about.

The blackberry apps like BBM and the RIM/blackberry facebook app go over the blackberry.net apn dc is talking about, not the epc.tmobile.com apn.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
mario_de

So what about opera or BB web browser will that work? UberTwitter (or would I have to use the BB Twitter app)? Thanks for the response, it helps a whole lot and should make my life easier out there!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Most third-party apps require the epc.tmobile.com APN.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
mario_de

Do you use your BB web browser out here without getting charged? I finally figured out how to ensure which programs were RIM specific and disabled all data connections for all other programs. I'm just a little leery about using the web browser (opening links from twitter)
Old 10-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_de View Post
Do you use your BB web browser out here without getting charged? I finally figured out how to ensure which programs were RIM specific and disabled all data connections for all other programs. I'm just a little leery about using the web browser (opening links from twitter)
Yes, I used the Internet Browser without charge.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
LouseLogic

Model: 9630
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Re: Blackberry in Afghanistan experiences anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Here's the skinny:

Get the add-on from Unlimited International BlackBerry E-Mail add-on from T-Mobile. On the device, go into Options > TCP, delete the epc.tmobile.com APN and disable TCP access. That way, the device will only use the blackberry.net APN, and the access will thus be free. If data is going through the blackberry.net APN (which it does if the epc.tmobile.com APN is removed and TCP disabled), there is no way for T-Mobile to discern between a browsed webpage, a chat on Google Talk, or an e-mail. As far as they're concerned, it's all e-mail, and therefore falls under the unlimited international plan. If you are charged additional, call T-Mobile, explain that TCP is disabled on the device and there is no way that you could have used the Internet, and they will remove the charges.

I've been in Afghanistan for nearly 6 months on this trip, and I have only had data charges pop up twice. Once, it was a charge for about 1 MB of transfer, so I called T-Mobile from my DSN phone, explained to the lady that I had the unlimited int'l plan with my internet settings disabled so that "just my e-mail would work", and she removed the charges immediately. The other time was my fault. I performed a device upgrade and forgot to fix the settings before turning the mobile network on. I got hit for about 50¢ on that one. Basically, if the system sees the blackberry.net APN, your add-on covers it because it is the same as e-mail. If they see epc.tmobile.com, they charge you the per-KB rate. It's pretty straightforward.

To answer your other questions, yes, you can tether, but you must have the TCP settings enabled, and you WILL be charged per-KB. The add-on does NOT cover tethering. As far as Skype is concerned, I don't know if it works on BB. I know there is the version for Verizon, but it doesn't work on my T-Mobile BlackBerry. I use Skype from my lapto because my satellite Internet service is much faster than the GPRS service I get on my BB.

Other good nuggets of information:
T-Mobile has data roaming agreements with the two largest carriers in the country, TDCA (Roshan) and AWCC. This basically will get you covered at pretty much any base or FOB in country. If you have a text messaging plan with T-Mobile, incoming texts are not charged whilst overseas, and are only 35¢ to send.

Hope this helps!
Hey DC/DC,

I'll be deploying out to Bagram at the end of the month and have some questions.

Basically right now T-Mobile has the DATA ONLY Even More Blackberry Unlimited Web & Email for $49.99 for US Domestic.

And then add on the Blackberry Unlimited International Email for $19.99. ?

Also, I will be using a Blackberry Storm 9530 that is unlocked. I read another post you wrote that it didnt matter whether the phone was unlocked or not so long as it can use the GSM network.

One last thing,THIS IS FOR EVERYONE ELSE that is looking to do this for International anyone else attempts to talk to all 4 different phone providers about information for this type of thing. MOST sales people in stores will not know what you are talking about what so ever.

I went in to Verizon, T-Mobile, At&T and Sprint and every employee in store either had no idea or contradicted what the employee on the phone had said.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

You should be fine, but the phone does need to be unlocked if it is not T-Mobile branded and you intend to use a T-Mobile SIM.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
LouseLogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
You should be fine, but the phone does need to be unlocked if it is not T-Mobile branded and you intend to use a T-Mobile SIM.
Dc, Thanks for responding.

Do you how to figure out which Blackberry device will work out there? I was going to buy that Storm for 150, but I have some friends that have older versions ? Such as the Curve 8310? Also, what kind of phone do you use?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouseLogic View Post
Dc, Thanks for responding.

Do you how to figure out which Blackberry device will work out there? I was going to buy that Storm for 150, but I have some friends that have older versions ? Such as the Curve 8310? Also, what kind of phone do you use?
I would recommend against any Storm model. The best BlackBerry for here is the 9780 mainly because of the build quality.

Right now, I'm using an HTC Legend (soon a Motorola Milestone 2) with AWCC. As I am a Gmail user exclusively, I found it cheaper and easier to use an Android phone with local service and port my US number to Vonage.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
riceball

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Hi, new here. My husband is deployed as a civilian contractor in Afghan. He has a BB Bold w/verizon. The phone is unlocked but he hasnt purchased a SIM yet. Does the roshan allow for data? He wants to use email, FB, BB messenger, etc. As someone mentioned earlier, I also had the same experience with my wireless carrier when I bought this for him. One Verizon rep on the phone told me one thing, while another rep told me something entirely different. They don't seem to know what they are talking about. I see everyone on this thread is talking about T-Mobile. Does anyone have experience w/Verizon?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #15
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceball View Post
Hi, new here. My husband is deployed as a civilian contractor in Afghan. He has a BB Bold w/verizon. The phone is unlocked but he hasnt purchased a SIM yet. Does the roshan allow for data? He wants to use email, FB, BB messenger, etc. As someone mentioned earlier, I also had the same experience with my wireless carrier when I bought this for him. One Verizon rep on the phone told me one thing, while another rep told me something entirely different. They don't seem to know what they are talking about. I see everyone on this thread is talking about T-Mobile. Does anyone have experience w/Verizon?
For all intents and purposes, no, he will not be able to get data service with any of the Afghan carriers (Etisalat, Roshan, AWCC, MTN) because BlackBerry service requires a post-paid account, which we as non-Afghans cannot easily get.

The best option for him is to subscribe to Verizon's international BlackBerry data plan and keep his Verizon SIM in the phone. For phone calling, the best thing is to get a cheap Nokia here for his local SIM card.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #16
thedabbler

Model: 9860
Carrier: VZW

I am down in Helmand and have a VZW SIM with a worldwide plan. I am able to get a few different networks and great data/voice/sms/mms service in Kandahar but am having difficulties here. The only network available is AWCC but it is only allowing me GSM which is only voice/sms. What's weird is that the first day I was here (a week ago) I was able to pick up GPRS and EDGE with AWCC and haven't been since.
My buddy right next to me has the same phone but an AT&T SIM yet he is able to get GPRS/EDGE from AWCC. Any ideas?

My device is a Blackberry 9630.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:24 AM   #17
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

As far as I know, Verizon does not have a roaming agreement set up with AWCC. There was a gentleman at my old base who had a corporate VZW device, and since AWCC was the only working network at the time, he had no service.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #18
LouseLogic

Hey DC,

I have got the blackberry tour and I'm in the TCP/IP options and I dont see the options you are talking about.

The way I got to the TCP/IP is go thru Options > Advanced Options > TCP/IP.
And what I see is this:

[check mark] APN SETTINGS Enabled
APN:emgsm.vzw3g.com
[ No Check Mark] APN Authentication Enabled
Username for APN:
Password for APN:

Can I get some help here?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #19
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouseLogic View Post
Hey DC,

I have got the blackberry tour and I'm in the TCP/IP options and I dont see the options you are talking about.

The way I got to the TCP/IP is go thru Options > Advanced Options > TCP/IP.
And what I see is this:

[check mark] APN SETTINGS Enabled
APN:emgsm.vzw3g.com
[ No Check Mark] APN Authentication Enabled
Username for APN:
Password for APN:

Can I get some help here?
I'm not following you. What option do you mean?

Also, your profile says you have a 9780 with T-Mobile, whilst this quoted post is discussing a Verizon Tour. Please clarify what device you are using, what SIM card is in the device, and what exactly you are trying to do and I will be better able to help.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #20
LouseLogic

Here is what I have and my situation:

I am using a BlackBerry Tour 9630. I am using a T-Mobile Sim Card. I am still in the states and will deploy sometime next week. I am attempting to follow your advice:

"Get the add-on from Unlimited International BlackBerry E-Mail add-on from T-Mobile. On the device, go into Options > TCP, delete the epc.tmobile.com APN and disable TCP access. That way, the device will only use the blackberry.net APN, and the access will thus be free. If data is going through the blackberry.net APN (which it does if the epc.tmobile.com APN is removed and TCP disabled), there is no way for T-Mobile to discern between a browsed webpage, a chat on Google Talk, or an e-mail."

I wanted to do a "dry run" of changing the settings here before I deployed. But as I attempted to follow your directions and delete the epc.tmobile.com APN and solely use the blackberry APN. The options on my phone are different. Perhaps old reminisce of the previous owner and number are still present on the phone because when I call my voice mail : it calls the old phone number.

What do you think ?
Closed Thread