BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #21
jfremillard

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: Torch touch screen goes haywire?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok! Finally got through to Rogers. They sent me instructions to upload the new software. This is probably a driver problem. That makes sense since a reset can fix it (temporarily).

Hopefully the software fix with solve the problem for good. I'll report back when I know more.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
interj

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Not sure that is going to help, I tried uploading to a beta version and the problem still existed.

I also thought it was software related because the battery pull fixed it but since i've received a new device the problem has not returned. Oh and by the way, they were both Mexico 5.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #23
jfremillard

Yes! I realized afterwards that my phone has the latest version anyway and the blackberry support says that they still have no fix for this problem. Something I noticed though since the last time I pulled the battery yesterday... the phone seems to work fine now and the only difference is that I did not insert it in its holster/pouch. I don't know if the magnet in there screws it up or what.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #24
GhostJTL

General fix for the touchscreen on a torch would be reloading the os on the device. Yes it does already have the latest software on the phone but may have gotten a glitch somewheres down the road.
I would advise downloading the blackberry software off of the blackberry website, both the desktop manager and as well the handheld code.
Regular os reload or "update on the blackberry desktop manager will not work correctly for this to get a resolution", would advise a backdoor reload. Be advised a backup of your info is probably a good idea where as this will wipe everything off of your phone.
Afterwords you need to do a selective restore of only information you NEED on the phone.
Reason for the selective restore is in case there is a corrupt file on the phone keeping the device from working properly. Yes a possible corrupt file already.
Here are the instructions for the backdoor reload.
Please print off if you are not familiar with having more than one window open on your computer, Or to keep from having to switch back and forth between window's from the task at hand to instructions.

1: Remove the battery from your device then plug the device into your computer
using your BlackBerry USB cable.

2: Locate the App loader program:
Start Button(Bottom left)> My Computer/Computer> Local Disk(C: )> Program Files>
Common Files> Research In Motion> AppLoader> RUN "Loader.exe"./ "Loader"

3: Once the Application Loader Wizard window is open click "Next" and
pop the battery into the device. This is called a "Jumpstart".

4: If the computer detected your device you will see your PIN, or you may just see unknown. Click the "Next"
button on that window.

If you do not see anything try leaving your battery out disconnect and then reconnect the device still with the battery out,
until prompted with it saying that "the blackberry is not connected please make sure the device is connected and click retry."
At that point please put in your battery and click retry after your red LED light goes out.

5: At this point you will be taken to the application selection menu, make sure in the application selection menu that you make some sort of change.
The best way to do this is to deselect or re-select a language.

6. When you click the next button it will either ask about backing up and restoring automatically or have an advanced button.
If it asks if you would like to automatically backup and restore, please check do not automatically... If the advanced button is there please click on it and select erase all currently installed applications.
7. The last thing you will see is the finish button. Click that and continue foreward. Onece done please leave the iunformation off of the phone for at least 24 hours if you can to make sure if there is a corrupt file in your backup that your not going to bring that file back to the device and cause the same issue.

8. If afterwords the device is working properly and you still have not put on your information, reconnect to the blackberry desktop software (for using the 6.0 software) upper left hand corner> Device>restore info. There are options on the next window that pops up. make sure you click select data to restore.
Bring back ONLY what you need. Contacts, password keeper, Calander, Alarm, Date and Time, memo pad, address book, bbm.

Anyways Hope that works.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
Wlevey

Model: 8820
Carrier: att

wOW, AND MY 8820 was rock sollid with NO problems at all for years!! Looks like RIM has a serious issue that they need to address if they don'w want to kill thier reputation!

I will be contacting ATT about a new phone tomorrow! This really sucks since I use my phone for EVERYTHING and have a ton of information on it!!!

If the next one is bad I am going to have to consider an iPhone4!!! Hopefully I can get ATT to make the swap if I need to do that!!
Closed Thread