7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Default Hotspot Login Ribbon Bar Icon

Please Login to Remove!

All,

I recently upgraded to the 8120 on TMo with the @Home add on so getting on WiFi anywhere that I am at is a priority but I like as few clicks and keystrokes as possible to get logged in and hated having to go into 2 - 5 menus to get a Hotspot Browser connection to be rerouted to the hotspot login page.

So I created an icon that is on my ribbon bar (aka icon list) for my own use and thought I would share with the community. It doesn't do anything any more fancy than open the browser by forcing it to the Hotspot (WiFi) Browser and tries to connect to Google which in turn will be rerouted to the login page for the public wifi network you are trying to connect to. This allows me to keep my "Internet Browser" as my default (which once fully connected to a WiFi network is recommended because the communication through the BIS or BES is optimized for the BlackBerry as well as not having to manually select Internet Browser while on an EDGE or GPRS connection).

You should not need this on any network that does not require a login (or some other form of acknowledgement such as accepting terms and conditions to connect to the wifi network such as your home network or possibly a corporate network.

Now that I got the explanation out of the way I have attached two files with a brief explanation below. I would be happy to work with someone to post OTA but do not have a server that will allow OTA so if someone can host it PM me and we can figure it out and I can update this post with a link.

Files attached:

wifilogin_dminstall.zip - traditional .alx and .cod files for installation with BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

wifilogin_microsdinstall.zip- .jad and .cod file for those that don't want to or can't load via Desktop Manager they can copy these to files to a folder on their MicroSD card and browse to the folder using the Media app and open the .jad file to install just like OTA but without the Internet connection necessary. I am not sure if there are limitations to which OS this will work with but I did it with no problems to install on my device on 4.5.0.42.

I hope others find this useful and please post your feedback and issues and I will try to clean up any problems but no promises on how long it will take.

Enjoy,
SIBION

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that this might do to your phone so use it at your own risk. I am also not the author of the web sites that it browses to and not responsible for the content that is displayed.

Note: This is only useful to those with a WiFi enabled device (8x20 devices and the Bold when it comes out). Other device users can install and I have coded it to open the default browser if a WiFi browser is not available on the phone but it will only take you to Google which is not that exciting and Google makes a better app for doing this anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: zip wifilogin_dminstall.zip (5.1 KB, 226 views)
File Type: zip wifilogin_microsdinstall.zip (5.2 KB, 169 views)
Old 07-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
shlep
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rickshaw

just got my 8120 a few weeks ago and am new here. Nice app!! will save some time.
Closed Thread