BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
iceberg14k

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint
Default Using BB 7520 as internet connection thru bluetooth?

Please Login to Remove!

Is it possible for me to use my Blackberry 7520 as an internet connection for a bluetooth enabled laptop? If this is possible will I need anything on top of my unlimited data plan? Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 01:31 AM   #2
pcnetgeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg14k
Is it possible for me to use my Blackberry 7520 as an internet connection for a bluetooth enabled laptop? If this is possible will I need anything on top of my unlimited data plan? Thanks
Bluetooth ability in the unit is only for the bluetooth headset use as i understand it
Old 04-26-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
jdh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

Correct. In order to use a Bluetooth device as an external modem, it must support the "Dial Up Networking Profile"

The Bluetooth Blackberries only support the Headset Profile, Handsfree Profile, and Serial Port Profile.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Jason_AB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
Carrier: at&t
any chance of this changing with an upgrade?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
bTwix

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_AB
any chance of this changing with an upgrade?
Yes, the new TomTom 300/500/700 (http://www.tigergps.com/tomtomgo700.html) requires a bluetooth internet connection to get real time traffic data. A 7100t software upgrade to support this would be excellent.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:06 PM   #6
mafialink

Where is this update? I just bought the tomtom 300 and i have the 7100t. i cannot get it to use the internet. My v600 works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bTwix
Yes, the new TomTom 300/500/700 (http://www.tigergps.com/tomtomgo700.html) requires a bluetooth internet connection to get real time traffic data. A 7100t software upgrade to support this would be excellent.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You guys went from "any chance of this changing with an upgrade" to "Where is this update".

THERE IS NO UPDATE. Bluetooth on the 7100 is only audio/wireless headset. Rumors of keyboards are around.

Will there be an upgrade for the 7100 to support this? I don't think anyone here really knows. Is there one - no.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:06 PM   #8
JDeane
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

You can always use your BB as a modem for a laptop. I use my Cingular 7290 quite often at airports without WiFi.

There is a FAQ page about using BB's as modems for latops here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019

I feel like I live in airports sometimes...
Old 05-23-2005, 03:27 AM   #9
bTwix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
You guys went from "any chance of this changing with an upgrade" to "Where is this update".

THERE IS NO UPDATE. Bluetooth on the 7100 is only audio/wireless headset. Rumors of keyboards are around.

Will there be an upgrade for the 7100 to support this? I don't think anyone here really knows. Is there one - no.
NJBlackBerry,

I understand there is currently no update however this issue is going to magnify significantly as the TomTom GO 700 gets released this summer. While the TomTom GO 300 was just released many are waiting on the GO 700 which is due out in June. The 700 is expected to take the GPS market by storm and most stores that carry it are taking pre orders.

http://www.chait.net/index.php?p=588 (review)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mG6Vb5E...asp?i=625GO700
http://www.tigergps.com/tomtomgo700.html

All three new TomTom GO models (300/500/700) are bluetooth enabled so they can get real time traffic and weather for an integrated navigation experience, assuming you have a compatible internet/bluetooth enabled phone.

Posts are already starting to show up on the TomTom boards about the 7100t/GO 300 compatability issue (http://www.mytomtomgo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1594) which will also likely affect the 500 and 700 models as well, given that they're basically the same unit with some extra bells and whistles.

I've been a BlackBerry evangelist with my coworkers and friends and I feel you guys should really take a look at implementing a compatibility update as I have a TomTom GO 700 preordered myself. =)

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:33 AM   #10
bTwix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeane
You can always use your BB as a modem for a laptop. I use my Cingular 7290 quite often at airports without WiFi.

There is a FAQ page about using BB's as modems for latops here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019

I feel like I live in airports sometimes...
JDeane,

Unfortunately the TomTom GO will be using bluetooth to get internet access, not a USB cable hooked up to a PC with desktop manager that can use your BlackBerry as a modem.

Excerpt from the link you sent (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019)
Connect Your BlackBerry
Make sure your BlackBerry is connected by USB cable, and your BlackBerry Handheld Manager is running (just launch BlackBerry Desktop to run it.) This is necessary for using the BlackBerry as an external modem. You cannot use BlackBerry as a modem unless you have BlackBerry Handheld Manager running in the background!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

There are a few wildcat rumors (third-hand and fourth-hand from individuals) that Bluetooth modem support is coming to BlackBerries. Don't quote me on that.

No word, but it's certainly not too farfetched since BlackBerries already support Bluetooth serial if you have the right cryptographic signing key. All you'd need is a software-based router program that glues Bluetooth serial together with the MDS gateway or TCP/IP stack, and you'd have instant Bluetooth modem support. The only barrier is the cryptographic signing key that you need from RIM, and it may be beyond the common $100 signing key used by application developers.

In fact, it may already now be possible to write a third party modem application (similiar to what some people did for Treo600), assuming you have the correct signing key.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 06-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #12
GenghisKhent
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Using BB 7290 with TomTom 700 ??

Could I have the TomTom communicate via BlueTooth with my BT-enabled laptop, which in turn uses my BB 7290 as a modem? Granted, that is a Rube Goldberg contraption, but shouldn't it work?

Also, Mark (or others), any updates on those rumors that BT modem support is coming to BBs?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:37 PM   #13
freddymanr

Default help

did you figure it out