Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Techlover

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: LOOP
Default Basic features missing in Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I have recently brought 8520, I was using Nokia before & now I can see some of the basic features in BB are missing. I know many BB users must be aware but some one like me a new BB user or who is planning to buy a BB can know what he/she may not get. There could be other features too must be missing but so far in last few days I came across following, others may share their experience....

1. Add tel / mobile no. in existing contact. You can not directly add the no. to your existing contact but you have to copy the no. then open existing contact, edit it & paste it.

2. I can not add additional mobile no. coz there is only one field in contacts, if you want to add additional then in "Others" you have to, you can add max. only 2 nos. under work & home so if you have already occupied "others" filed with additional work / home no. then there is no space for additional mobile no.

3. There is no sub folder you can create under any category, I wanted to have one sub folder under sms, you can not create that which I could in Nokia.

4. There is no auto key pad lock, if you have locked your key pad & if you get call, key pad gets unlocked & after completing your conversation you have to manually lock the key pad.

5. When you receive a call from some one's mobile / home no. & if you wish to add that no in new contact "Add to contacts", that no. directly goes into "Work" field and not in mobile / home field or it doesn't allow you to give any option / selection of field, so you have to select that no. then copy / paste that no. in "Mobile" / "Home" field.

6. If you want to send contact as business card to another some one, you can not, again do copy / paste.

7. If you have created a group under contact and when you want to send message to that group, incase if you want to remove any person from the group while sending message, you can not remove specific contact.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

I'm not sure I would call all of these basic features, but ok.

#2 - I show two work numbers, two home numbers, and two mobile numbers, plus there is an other category. I'm not sure why you only see one mobile number when I see two. Maybe an OS thing.

#6 - Why can't you send a contact to someone else? I can. I have the option to forward to messenger contact or send as an attachment via e-mail. Do you not see these options?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Perhaps the BB is not the device for you?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlover View Post
I have recently brought 8520, I was using Nokia before & now I can see some of the basic features in BB are missing.
"Basic features" and "What I'm used to on my former device" are 2 different things...

IIRC you'll need a 3rd party app for 1.

2. You're pretty much stuck with the fields that are there.

3. Nothing you can do about this.

Last edited by takeshi; 01-06-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlover View Post
6. If you want to send contact as business card to another some one, you can not, again do copy / paste.
Compose message -> Menu button -> Attach Contact.

As for the rest of the issues you list, well, if those are what are important do you for a BlackBerry device, I have to echo the thought that the BB maybe not be the device for you.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
oasissux
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers/fido

Quote:
4. There is no auto key pad lock, if you have locked your key pad & if you get call, key pad gets unlocked & after completing your conversation you have to manually lock the key pad.
Are you sure about this? My keypad returns to being locked after an incoming call is completed.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Wirelessly posted (My blond BlackBerry)

It could be a difference btwn a regular keypad lock and a security-enabled lock.