Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
libracloud2000

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Angry Curve 8330 Sprint modem for mac

Please Login to Remove!

On sprint's website they show that the smart view software is for Windows. Well, I am buying a macbook and can't very well have internet unless I get this software. I contacted sprint and they told me they didn't know and to come here. Can someone help me figure it out? I really want a mac, but i'm not going to buy one if I can't get the net on it from my BB.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
ckentzelman

Carrier: Sprint
Talking Works through Boot Camp

I have had a MacBook for a few months now, and have been tinkering with Mac's Boot Camp and Sprint's PCS Connection Manager. I have been able to connect through the Windows XP side. I'm an going to try Parallels Desktop 4.0, hopefully being able to run the Sprint PCS Connection Manager on Windows through Parallel to get Internet on the Mac side. I know this may sound like a hassle, but if this works it will be a great temporary fix until BB has a Desktop Manager for Mac, which I have heard is slated for late 2009.
RIM had been working on this since early 2008.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
hchon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by libracloud2000 View Post
On sprint's website they show that the smart view software is for Windows. Well, I am buying a macbook and can't very well have internet unless I get this software. I contacted sprint and they told me they didn't know and to come here. Can someone help me figure it out? I really want a mac, but i'm not going to buy one if I can't get the net on it from my BB.
wait so you want to use your blackberry as a modem for a macbook? you don't need any software to do that. just pair your macbook/blackberry using bluetooth and then set up a bluetooth connection on your macbook.

Telephone No: #777, leave everything else blank, and click "show modem in the status bar"

in advanced/modem tab:
vendor: sprint
model: pcs vision

that's it. and when you want to connect, just click on the status bar and "connect".

i hope this is what you were asking for. and oh, welcome to mac os x.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
prophet_MX

Carrier: SPRINT

does this use minutes or is it on my data plan?
Old 07-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Rayford Booth
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

follow these instructions:
http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/how...solved-260401/
Old 07-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
joeygator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I've been doing this for months and get no additional charge for data or minutes. I am on the simply everything plan!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
paulaglyc

Smile bluetooth connection

Hi, I'm new to the bluetooth stuff and my blackberry curve 8330 smarthone. I read one of the threads from some time ago, about how to connect to the Internet via bluetooth, and thanks to the posts I managed to set up the connection. The person that posted info said that he never got charged for using it this way. I wonder if anybody else tried that with the same outcome? I really don't want to be charged for this option, cuz I have unlimited data on my blackberry sprint family plan, and also (temporarily) not working modem, so obviously it's just a temporary/emergency solution. Thanks for sharing any thoughts about that!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

If Sprint sees excessive data usage on your account, and you're not paying for a tethering plan, they can cancel your service for a TOS violation. I'm just sayin'....
Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
joeygator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
If Sprint sees excessive data usage on your account, and you're not paying for a tethering plan, they can cancel your service for a TOS violation. I'm just sayin'....
I don't use it for large amounts of data. I have the simply everything plan and they actually said you cannot add the tethering option when I tried to add it. I don't know if they can tell how you are using the data the way this connection works. However, I believe you are correct, if I am violating the TOS, they could kick me off the system!

When I look at my usage it shows for the last 3 months between 90,000 and 168,000. I believe this is kbs which means I am not very high at all. I think that makes it a max of 168 meg. However, if it spikes I will be getting risky!

Most of my data is the device itself. I would tell anyone that is using it heavily that it is buyer beware, or in this case, cheater beware!

Joe
Closed Thread