wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Arrow

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrg
I hear good things about the beta, but it isn’t available for the rest of us. Until the program is widely available what’s there to talk?

It is available to anyone, but there are problems with tasks, and other items. I'm waiting for the updated release of PocketMac4 or for MissingSync to solve all the issues before I switch.

Here you go if you want to try it:

http://www.markspace.com/testing/
Old 03-17-2007, 02:52 AM   #102
berksgr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: O2

Missing sync beta 12 works well for me, mainly iCal and Address Book.
Even syncs the contact photos.

It's already far more reliable than pocketmac.
But then again that wouldn't be too difficult !
Old 03-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #103
ibrg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 0000
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclyffe
It is available to anyone, but there are problems with tasks, and other items. I'm waiting for the updated release of PocketMac4 or for MissingSync to solve all the issues before I switch.

Here you go if you want to try it:

Mark/Space · Beta Versions Being Tested
Thanks. The download link was berried in the site... I tried and didn't like it; issues/bugs with plugins...

Last edited by ibrg; 03-17-2007 at 10:50 PM..
Old 03-17-2007, 10:55 PM   #104
ibrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by berksgr

Do you ever get "plugin" issues? I am unable to sync with iCal (only works with Contacts).
Old 03-18-2007, 02:48 AM   #105
berksgr

Carrier: O2

i had no issues at all with syncing

contacts and calendar sync correctly

I did let missing sync erase the various parts of the BB before the first sync
Old 03-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #106
ibrg

Quote:
I did let missing sync erase the various parts of the BB before the first sync
How do you do that?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 AM   #107
fleeze

Model: pearl
Default Installation problem

Hi, I am trying to install Pocketmac 4.0 and have a problem. I first tried it in my user account which I thought is an Admin account on my mac, but it doesn't go through. Then I logged in as root and installed it there, it went successfully. I then logged back into my account and launch Pocketmac from there, and then got a message like this: "No devices configured. Please check your settings and install with your user account". And the entire iSync panel doesn't have any icon other than the Sync button on the right... This problem doesn't appear when I was in root.

Can someone help me with this problem? Thanks!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #108
PocketMacAnne

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeze
Hi, I am trying to install Pocketmac 4.0 and have a problem. I first tried it in my user account which I thought is an Admin account on my mac, but it doesn't go through. Then I logged in as root and installed it there, it went successfully. I then logged back into my account and launch Pocketmac from there, and then got a message like this: "No devices configured. Please check your settings and install with your user account". And the entire iSync panel doesn't have any icon other than the Sync button on the right... This problem doesn't appear when I was in root.

Can someone help me with this problem? Thanks!
Yes, I can help with that. PocketMac DOES require you (in version 4.0) to BE an admin to get a good installation, because some files go in the system area, and others go in your users folders. The easiest way to do this is log back in as that root user, and edit your regular login, and check the box to allow your regular login to administer this computer. Then, restart the Mac, login as your regular user, and install PocketMac.

When finished, make sure it's working properly, and then you can restart the Mac, login as root user, and uncheck that box in your regular login. Then, log back in and use PocketMac with your user account in the normal way. Sorry for the extra steps for now!

I can tell you that with the rise of administered Macs in offices in our user base, we have received requests to be able to install PocketMac without being an admin user, and a future version that is currently being tested will be able to be installed that way.

And by all means, if you would like any help with this personally, our tech team would be happy to work with you at the PocketMac web-based support site at pocketmac.net/support.htm.

Thanks!
We Love to help you sync with the Mac!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #109
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

I'm very happy with the beta as well of Missing Sync for BlackBerry. I have multiple contact using the Palm equivalent with great success. I finally gave up on PocketMac it was just to hit and miss, reached the point where I opted to load BootCamp on my MacBook just to sync in the WIN environment. I see myself moving to Missing Sync once it reaches final release.
Quote:

Old 03-25-2007, 10:27 PM   #110
blackbeeryman

Model: 7100g

I have been trying to download PocketMac 4 with no with no luck. After reading back thru the posts here, I am concerned and wonder if I should even bother. Any opinions? Has anyone else had issues downloading software from BB? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #111
PocketMacAnne

Default Downloading PocketMac 4.0.20 from BlackBerry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeeryman
I have been trying to download PocketMac 4 with no with no luck. After reading back thru the posts here, I am concerned and wonder if I should even bother. Any opinions? Has anyone else had issues downloading software from BB? Thanks in advance.
Hi!

I can personally assure you that tens of thousands of users are merrily synching with PocketMac. And if you try it and have any difficulties whatsoever, the tech team at PocketMac is a bunch of really great people who love to help.

A new update was posted by Research in Motion over the weekend, and any of the initial glitches with the the special connection workarounds for the Pearl, Daylite and Now have been addressed.

The instructions for downloading it are below.

Step 1: Click Here To Start The Downloading Process:

http://www.discoverblackberry.com/di..._solutions.jsp

Step 2: Click On The "Download" Link
When you get to the download software page, click on the "Download" a copy of PocketMac for BlackBerry link.

Step 3: Choose "PocketMac v4.0.20 for BlackBerry"
Select "PocketMac v4.0 for BlackBerry" from the choice of software products to download. Click "Next" and fill in the contact information.

Step 4: Click "Download Software"
The final step is simple. Just click the "Download Software" link

Hope this helps!
We Love to help you sync with the Mac!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #112
blackbeeryman

Model: 7100g
Default Thank you PocketMacAnne!

I was finally able to download the new PocketMac and it installed without a gliche. I did encounter some duplication in Entourage, but that's what happens when you have an address listed in two places.

Thanks again for your response.

Blackbeeryman
Old 03-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #113
jensonyu

Model: 8700r

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketMacAnne
I can tell you that with the rise of administered Macs in offices in our user base, we have received requests to be able to install PocketMac without being an admin user, and a future version that is currently being tested will be able to be installed that way.
Anne, it's good to know that this's in the work. This has been my concern since the first day I tested with PM4.0.20 beta. I sent a couple of emails to Sean to address it in the past.

/Jenson
Old 03-30-2007, 01:25 AM   #114
fleeze

Model: pearl

Hi,

Thanks a lot for you detailed response. I tried what you described actually. But I guess my problem is a bit more subtle... When I logged in as root, I see my regular account already as an admin, and the "Allow user to administer this computer" already checked ON. However the check box and the entire label ("Allow user to...") are grayed out. I tried everything I can think of but I just cannot bring it back to life. That is, I cannot uncheck it and check it again. Yes, I tried clicking on the lock at the lower-left corner. It doesn't help.

As a comparison, the root user account doesn't have it grayed out. I am able to uncheck and check it.

So, what I have here is, with root account I can toggle between admin and non-admin freely, and the Pocketmac installation works. With regular account I cannot toggle between admin and non-admin (even though it says I am already admin), and the Pocketmac installtion doesn't work.

I understand that this is probably more of a Mac question than a Pocketmac one. Just trying my luck in case anyone has seen this particular problem before...

Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketMacAnne
Yes, I can help with that. PocketMac DOES require you (in version 4.0) to BE an admin to get a good installation, because some files go in the system area, and others go in your users folders. The easiest way to do this is log back in as that root user, and edit your regular login, and check the box to allow your regular login to administer this computer. Then, restart the Mac, login as your regular user, and install PocketMac.

When finished, make sure it's working properly, and then you can restart the Mac, login as root user, and uncheck that box in your regular login. Then, log back in and use PocketMac with your user account in the normal way. Sorry for the extra steps for now!

And by all means, if you would like any help with this personally, our tech team would be happy to work with you at the PocketMac web-based support site at pocketmac.net/support.htm.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2007, 09:32 PM   #115
schalliol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

I understand that this software was recently updated. I have had issues with the un-updated software since day one. Could you please let me know what updates were made? I am not aware of them.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:11 PM   #116
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

yeah, i went from my 7290 to 8800 and downloaded the newest version and everything is working with no problems. I only sync address book and ical but those seem to work fine.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #117
kissysuzuki

Model: 8800
Carrier: Smartone Vodafone

Hi-
I am a new Blackberry user, got a 8800 and have a G4 Powerbook... tried using PocketMac, downloaded fine, started up fine, but when I tried to sync my Address book (only a certain group from address book, since I don't want all 700 contacts on my BB), it just hangs and hangs and hangs for like an hour (the blue bar about two thirds of the way finished). I have done this four times already, always with the same result, and after waiting for a long time just hit "cancel" and it says "some information may not have been synced", and basically nothing happened (which is good, at least it didn't wipe out my Ad book or BB). But are there any tips on how to make Pocketmac actually SYNC? I'm just trying to get some emails onto my BB.... seems like it shouldn't be so hard.
Should I re-install PM?
Thank you,
Samantha

PS_ While I'm at it, is there any way to add a piece of contact information to a pre-existing Ad book entry (within the blackberry) without selecting, copying, changing application, opening the entry, edit, pasting? (For instance: I receive an email from somebody whose phone number is already in my phone-- just want to add their email addy to the entry)
It seems like there should be a faster way.
Closed Thread