BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Christoph

Model: 8700C
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2 on Vista

Please Login to Remove!

I just got a new laptop with Vista (home premium) installed and I tried to set up the Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2. The install went fine with no problems. I can start up the device manager with no problem but when I go to start the desktop manager, it looks like there is a little dialogue that opens up but it just flashes really quickly and goes away; desktop manager is never loaded up to run.

I'm presented with no error message or any other indication as to what just happened. I can go in to look at the Task Manager's running processes and I see only the device manager in the list. Looking in the blackberry directory, I don't see that any log files have been created so I am a total loss as to what is happening and what I might be able to do to fix it. I've done some searches here in the forums and also on Google but haven't been able to find anything that matches what I'm experiencing.

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? Were you able to solve it? If so, how? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thnx,
Christoph
Old 08-31-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
skip0157

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint
Default Vista Problem

Try running the program as administrator. I had some problems early on when I got my new computer. I'm running home basic. when I started running the program as administrator the p[roblems seemed to go away.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Christoph

Model: 8700C
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0157 View Post
Try running the program as administrator. I had some problems early on when I got my new computer. I'm running home basic. when I started running the program as administrator the p[roblems seemed to go away.

Hope this helps!
The user I'm logged in as is an administrator type. In fact, it's the only user in the list of users under Control Panel -> User Accounts. When I click on "Change your Account Type", the 'Administrator' radio button is selected. Interestingly enough, I'm not even allowed to select the "Standard User" radio button as it is greyed out.

I installed the software as the current user so I don't think it is a privileges issue. If it was, I would think that the BB Device Manager would have been having issues as well. It's only the Desktop Manager that is having problems running. :(

thnx,
Christoph
Old 09-01-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Are you using Vista 64 or Vista 32?

I could not get the Desktop Manager to work in Vista 64 but it works fine in Vista 32.

I can't explain why.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
GhengisLurch

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

See what worked for me.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

I actually have Vista Home Premium as well (64-Bit), when I tried installing the Desktop Manager the Install Shield initialized but the after the unzipping and all it just dissappeared... I tried running as Admin and normally, as well as trying to download the Desktop Manager from the Website and one that came on my CD but I got the same results...

I did notice however that msiexec.exe and _Setup.exe were running in the background topping maybe 20% CPU usage every 10 seconds or so running under Normal priority, so I left it alone for about 10 minutes and the the installation actually continued and was successfully (If I dare say).

However my Desktop Manager does hang on me from time to time. when I sync my Blackberry up using the Desktop Manager, when I resolve conflicts/changes I get a bunch of misc characters/symbols so I really don't what is syncing up when I accept changes.

Weird huh?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If I read correctly, when you refer to admin, you mean setup as admin to computer itself. Correct?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I am in the process of trying to install it now. It has NOT been a clean process thus far. I finally made it to the setup phase I think. The Vista system is halting certain software a long the way.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
GhengisLurch

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post

I am in the process of trying to install it now. It has NOT been a clean process thus far. I finally made it to the setup phase I think. The Vista system is halting certain software a long the way.
Same. Every time I've installed or uninstalled BB DTM on Vista, it has been exceedingly slow. It eventually gets done, but it takes way longer than it ought to.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #10
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

When I "Run as Administrator", I just mean running the installation with administrative rights Vista is "Secure" like that (I Hope you can feel that sarcasism).

Also Do not bother trying compability mode, I tried running the installation in XP sp2 mode but the installation will not even begin..

Vista will not even allow a clean uninstall either, since I installed the version of the BlackBerry Website and then uninstalled the Desktop Manager, and then installed the on that came on the CD with my Black Berry, I received the same results.

Since I have been using it with Vista Home it does hang on me for a few seconds here and there (nothing to make me freak out, as of now anyway).

Edit:

My only complaint is when I sync my BlackBerry up with my Outlook 07, When it prompts me to accepts any changes it doesn't tell me where the change is taking place, it simply puts a buch of misc characters (i.e.: "';'."), instead of saying "Calendar" or "Contacts", which is the most agitation part for me.

This is probably an issue with Vista 64-bit and Office 2007, also note I am using BIS from Verizon Wireless.

Last edited by SteveO86; 09-03-2007 at 08:32 AM..
Old 09-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

I have not yet tried to run media files yet which is a big difference with the newer DM versions, so I will reserve judgment. I do believe I would have had less problems if my machine had NOT been preinstalled with Roxio software which seemed to interfere.

Other than the slower startup, the Vista seems to work better with the current DM, assuming you can get it installed in the first place.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #12
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0157 View Post

Hope this helps!
were you able to sync vista and bb via bluetooth?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
Chrishem

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Telus (CDMA)
Angry Have the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
I just got a new laptop with Vista (home premium) installed and I tried to set up the Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2. The install went fine with no problems. I can start up the device manager with no problem but when I go to start the desktop manager, it looks like there is a little dialogue that opens up but it just flashes really quickly and goes away; desktop manager is never loaded up to run.

I'm presented with no error message or any other indication as to what just happened. I can go in to look at the Task Manager's running processes and I see only the device manager in the list. Looking in the blackberry directory, I don't see that any log files have been created so I am a total loss as to what is happening and what I might be able to do to fix it. I've done some searches here in the forums and also on Google but haven't been able to find anything that matches what I'm experiencing.

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? Were you able to solve it? If so, how? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thnx,
Christoph
Have the same problem; tried three different versions of desktop manager, running under different compatibility modes, engaging or disengaging Norton. Using Vista business. Not the first peice of software that I have seen do this - it appears that the window is 'virtual' under another layer that prevents it from being seen. All other software that I have had do this (ACT! for one) has reqruied a patch or upgrade. The compatibilty mode for Vista does not address the problem.
Closed Thread