Mathusulah

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default water damage - a warning for all

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All

This is just a query - or a warning.

I have a Pearl 8100 - or did till this morning - the keypad died, and I couldn't get it working so took it back to the shop - the assistant immediately informed me it was water damaged, because the indicator on the battery (next to the three copper connections) showed that the phone had been damaged by water.

As far as I am aware it has never been damp - or wet - other than being hit by a couple of raindrops as it was used in the rain.

The odd thing is that the keypad went dead a few weeks ago and then after removing the battery it came back - so I am not convinced.

However - vodafone will not repair or replace the handset for water damage - coincidentally! I did not take out the extortion they call insurance so it looks like I may have a problem getting a replacement - I will post when I know more.

Before you take your handset in to be checked, if it is not working - check the battery indicator - if it shows that it has had water damage the shop may refuse to repair it - regardless of the fault - it may be cheaper to get a spare battery that does not show damage!!

All the best

dave

Last edited by Mathusulah; 05-14-2007 at 02:01 PM..
Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Do you take your BB in the shower? The steam of the shower can cause the indicator to change.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
Mathusulah

Carrier: vodafone

No - it has never been damp - I have looked after it better than past phones!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

Also there should be a white or red square under battery on the case.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
i-Berry
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 1234567890
Carrier: Sprint
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathusulah View Post
Hi All

I have a Pearl 8100 - or did till this morning - the keypad died, and I couldn't get it working so took it back to the shop - the assistant immediately informed me it was water damaged, because the indicator on the battery (next to the three copper connections) showed that the phone had been damaged by water.

Before you take your handset in to be checked, if it is not working - check the battery indicator - if it shows that it has had water damage the shop may refuse to repair it - regardless of the fault - it may be cheaper to get a spare battery that does not show damage!!

All the best

dave
The indicator is not on the battery. It is on the phone itself... if he showed you the battery and said water damage then he is new or does not know what he is talking about... you should take the battery out and look under it ON THE PHONE ITSELF there should be a little square in one of the corners it will be red/pink or white, it may be on the side wall next to the sd card slot. If it is white than there is no water damage if however it is red/pink then the phone has been around 'too much' moister and you're SOL.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Berry View Post
The indicator is not on the battery.
There is a water damage sticker also on the battery.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
i-Berry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default r u sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
There is a water damage sticker also on the battery.
Are you sure cause I was under the impression the white sticker with the red line through next to the battery connection, it is not a water damage indicator. it is a sticker, they all come like that out of the box. I have looked at many BB all batteries have a sticker either with a line through it or little x's both red. I have yet to see one change even with a phone with water damage.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #8
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Yes that sticker will change to all red if it gets wet also.
I have one in front of me that fell in a stream along with the user and the sticker turned all red...
And looking at a 8703e that I have it has two stickers on the bb, one inside the battery area and an other next to the latch for battery door.

Last edited by Raven; 05-14-2007 at 03:59 PM..
Old 05-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
Lyoshka
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

just to be clear...since I'm now paranoid of this water damage business.... my little sticker square on the phone is all white, the little rectangle on the bottom of the battery has pink Xs all over it. This is all good, right?
Old 05-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
i-Berry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Yes that sticker will change to all red if it gets wet also.
I have one in front of me that fell in a stream along with the user and the sticker turned all red...
And looking at a 8703e that I have it has two stickers on the bb, one inside the battery area and an other next to the latch for battery door.
OK, I Learn something new everyday.

Lyoshka you are good no reason to freak its suppose to look like that.

Last edited by i-Berry; 05-14-2007 at 04:05 PM..
Old 05-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

There are various water damage indicators, three to four that I know of.

One is on the battery, another is a little square by the micro-SD slot and another inside the case that cannot be seen unless disassembling the Pearl [I think it is by one of the metail railings]. Also there may be one by the battery cover door, near the latch.

Ditto on the member that said the tech may be a newbie and does not know how to read the battery indicator. Have him or her look at the one next to the micro-SD slot.

I'll post a pic if I can find it. I cleaned out my server and that pic is still somewhere on my PC. I'll upload it again.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 05-14-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Old 05-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #12
SanFrancisco

Here is one. On some phones the square is on the opposite side. But this is the one by the micro-SD slot. It turns solid red or pink when wet.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 05-14-2007 at 04:16 PM..
Old 05-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoshka View Post
just to be clear...since I'm now paranoid of this water damage business.... my little sticker square on the phone is all white, the little rectangle on the bottom of the battery has pink Xs all over it. This is all good, right?
Perhaps some pics might help. So people can see what you are talking about.

Be aware some are white with red Xs and others are like mine, a red bar across the middle. Perhaps the tech saw the red bar? If so, this is not an indication of water damage.

I can assure you that these OEM batteries have not seen any moisture whatsoever. In fact, one of those was never used, it came from T-MO with the phone and I removed it and replaced it with my extended battery.

Here:

Old 05-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
djxedxd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: bic,no ball point,wait its blue
Carrier: Verizon

If its red does that mean my BB's pregnant cause the other day my girls BB was sittin next to mine and when we came back in the room they were on the floor on top of each other. Hers vibrating on mine hmm. ?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #15
CaptSwerve

Mine is on the other side of the microSD card.

EDIT:
I've taken my phone into the bathroom with me (actually it's in my pocket on the floor about 95% of the time) while I shower and my detectors are still good. I actually listened to music a couple times with the back off and the phone sitting on the counter.

Last edited by CaptSwerve; 05-14-2007 at 05:58 PM..
Old 05-14-2007, 05:37 PM   #16
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Ohhhhh I know about the Starbucks addiction as well..... White Chocolate Mocha for me please
Old 05-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #17
CaptSwerve

I'm a coffee junkie.. it's strong and black for me.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #18
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

When not sucking down a foo-foo..... Straight black here as well!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #19
acv
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2054EB76
Carrier: Telcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smith View Post
Mine is on the other side of the microSD card.
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1...066copyqx3.jpg

EDIT:
I've taken my phone into the bathroom with me (actually it's in my pocket on the floor about 95% of the time) while I shower and my detectors are still good. I actually listened to music a couple times with the back off and the phone sitting on the counter.
I do the same, take the phone with me into the bathroom, and just checked my detectors and they seem solid.also I like the espresso from Starbucks
Old 05-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #20
avwh

Model: 8703e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathusulah View Post
Hi All

As far as I am aware it has never been damp - or wet - other than being hit by a couple of raindrops as it was used in the rain.

The odd thing is that the keypad went dead a few weeks ago and then after removing the battery it came back - so I am not convinced.

However - vodafone will not repair or replace the handset for water damage - coincidentally! I did not take out the extortion they call insurance so it looks like I may have a problem getting a replacement - I will post when I know more.

dave
I had this happen with a non-BB cellphone; insurance didn't cover it. (Insurance: the only product known to man where you pay, pay and pay - and THEN find out IF you actually have coverage when you need it! And if you do, they either jack your rates or drop you like a hot rock. Might as well self-insure.....)
Closed Thread