Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
wobly
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Sync Blackberry Pearl 8100 via Bluetooth

Please Login to Remove!

When trying to follow the instructions from different websites to get my Blackberry 8100 Pearl connected via bluetooth to my laptop, nothing worked...that is, nothing worked until I copied the Microsoft files from my wife's computer to my latop. I had installed the Widcomm drivers that came with my Kensington 33348 bluetooth dongle and could not get the computer to use the MS BT drivers no matter how hard I tried. The Blackberry will NOT work with anything other than the Microsoft XPSP2 Bluetooth drivers.
The method I used to fix the issue was to copy all of the bt*.* files from the \windows\inf and \windows\system32 from my wife's computer and copy them into the appropriate folders on my laptop. I also had to modify the bth.inf file in the \windows\inf folder so the Kensington 33348 would be found by the MS drivers and use them. Below is the modification to the bth.inf file;

[Kensington.NT.5.1]
Kensington Bluetooth EDR Dongle= BthUsb, USB\Vid_047d&Pid_105e&Rev_0000
Kensington Bluetooth EDR Dongle 2nd line= BthUsb, USB\Vid_047d&Pid_105e

I made it look like the other lines.

I had to reinstall the Blackberry Desktop Software, but it fully sync'ed and I was able to use my Blackberry as a modem through the Bluetooth connection.

Hopefully, by posting this, someone else can benefit from my efforts.

UPDATE 5 Feb 07: Using this similiar method, I was able to get my Kensington bluetooth adapter (dongle) model 33348 working in Windows Vista. It was a little quirkier, but, it works and I am happy. I modified the bth.inf file with the same info posted above. My wife has an IOGear GBU221 that I was able to get working using the same method. Vista wasn't recognizing the adapter and I STARTED(!) to install the drivers I found at IOGEAR: Expand Your Connectivity . But, just after the program started to install, I noticed the Bluetooth Devices icon in the system tray. I cancelled the install at the very first opportunity and noticed the adapter was fully functioning. I did this three times on three different Vista systems and it worked every time. I wish I knew why, but it seems that firing up the install program on the IOGear driver "wakes up" the bluetooth recognition and makes it work.

I also have gotten two IOGear GBU221 bluetooth adapters to work using the same method. I just received one that I bought on eBay for $9 and did it on a clean install of Vista. Worked like a charm.

Please post any successes or failures with this method.

Last edited by wobly; 02-16-2007 at 08:19 PM..
Old 01-21-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
mikejw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Sorry, but the only way use I know that you can sync your Pearl with your PC using the Desktop Manager is by installing the Windows drivers for your bluetooth dongle and not the Kensington drivers.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Lew2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Umm, that's what he said. You have to use the Microsoft bluetooth stack not the drivers that come with your bluetooth hardware.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
dhendriksen

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I was able to get mine to work with th io gear drivers.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
wobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen
I was able to get mine to work with th io gear drivers.
Did they use the MS stack as their drivers and just add on their own software?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

You're kidding me. I had pretty much given up until I read this. Still, the solution is bittersweet because the M$ stack really sucks. The WIDCOMM drivers offer so much more functionality....
Old 02-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
dariusf

Model: 9700

Well I just got my Pearl to work with my Zoom PCMCIA bluetooth card using WIDCOMM 1.4.2.2 drivers. Still did not had time to try syncing but I got internet access working just fine. Same speed as the USB connection at about ~90kbps. Took me a few hours playing around and installing, uninstalling massing with the registry, drivers etc. I was able to get the windows with WIDCOMM drivers to pair with the phone but got an error while dialing out. Checked every setting a few times. Finally I uninstalled the software for my ZOOM bluetooth PCMCIA card which uses the WIDCOMM drivers, uninstalled the Desktop Manager for Pearl. Reinstalled the Zoom software and reset everything and its working Now I need to install the DM again but I'm a bit afraid to loose my existing setup . I will do it over the weekend and see how it goes. If I can't sync over bluetooth then I will just use USB as long as my internet works over bluetooth.

So yes, Pearl will allow internet connection from your notebook over bluetooth using WIDCOMM drivers, as far a syncing, well I will find out soon
Old 02-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
wobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusf
So yes, Pearl will allow internet connection from your notebook over bluetooth using WIDCOMM drivers, as far a syncing, well I will find out soon
Let us know how that works out for you. You would be the first to get DM to sync with drivers other than the Microsoft stack.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I think the problem is between Desktop Manager and Widcomm
Old 02-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
linuxpro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Does anyone know how to reinstall the Microsoft bluetooth stack drivers as i think i may have wiped them from the system ?? I can't seem to get the bluetooth to sync with DM

Old 02-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #11
wobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpro
Does anyone know how to reinstall the Microsoft bluetooth stack drivers as i think i may have wiped them from the system ?? I can't seem to get the bluetooth to sync with DM
If you read the first post, you will see how I did it. I copied the files from my wife's computer.
Closed Thread