Old 05-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Default 7100i, voicemail, and (missed) call logs

Please Login to Remove!

I just had one of my users send me this email after I asked him for an example of a problem he had reported to me. I'm still laughing, but am also hoping for some insight from someone else Here we go:

Problem ONE
I am talking on my blackberry 7100i to Bob and Fred calls me. His call goes to voicemail and he leaves a message. Sometimes I can see that Fred has called and am given the option to place Bob on hold, but sometimes Fred's call goes straight to voicemail and I don't know he called at all until I check voicemail. (yes, often I get a beep and I can see Fred's call and call him back) Sometimes I don't recognize the number on the other call and since it only appears for a short time I don't always have time to jot the number down. Either way Fred gets sent to voicemail and my call log does NOT show his call as a missed call in either my phone call log which shows missed calls with a little phone receiver and X in yellow along with a number or in the Email log where missed and received calls are logged as well.

Problem TWO
Now I go to voicemail on a whim and see that surprise, surprise I have three missed calls. I listen to Fred's voice mail telling me that Juwaack68 is on the game show "Millionaire" right now and has used me as her lifeline and I need to call the TV studio right away to tell her that cotton comes from a seed pod and not from sheep, Q-tipped Palm trees or spun sugar so she can win the mega super price and go home rich! Sadly Fred in all his excitement fails to leave the phone number of the studio stage he and Juwaack68 are calling from so I go press 5 on my phone like I would if I had a normal cell phone to retrieve the "envelope information" which NORMALLY includes the missed caller's phone number/time of call and that option only gives me the time Fred called. No number. No other function key during message playback in Voicemail allows me to retrieve the number that Fred called from. What to do???

{As a side note I have had a two different level 2 Blackberry techs at Sprint/Nextel confirm that there is no way to retrieve a phone number from a call in voicemail.}

Back to our story...Of course at this point I am thinking only of my dear friend Juwaack68 on that sound stage waiting for me to call. I franticly search my call log and Email log on my Blackberry to see if I can find a missed call from Fred. In my call log I see that Juwaack68's mom called me to make sure I stayed by the phone for her sweet daughter's phone call, but I missed her mom's call. I can also see Fred's wife Cindy called too saying she was sure there was no such thing as a Q-tipped palm tree, but I missed her call too. Juwaack68's mom's call is in my missed call log and so is Cindy's, but Fred's call never made the cut somehow. Later that night I find out poor poor Juwaack68 missed the answer on "Millionaire" and had to go home in shame having selected SHEEP as her final answer.

I hope this helps you understand the issue. I am told it would take a programmer to change the voicemail server program to correct Problem TWO. As for problem ONE, it is a mystery why some calls like Fred's fail to be logged in the missed call log.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Baylink
No longer Registered.

Model: 7100i
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
I just had one of my users send me this email after I asked him for an example of a problem he had reported to me. I'm still laughing, but am also hoping for some insight from someone else Here we go:
Well, I needed a good laugh, today, too. Thanks.

Quote:
Problem ONE
I am talking on my blackberry 7100i to Bob and Fred calls me. His call goes to voicemail and he leaves a message. Sometimes I can see that Fred has called and am given the option to place Bob on hold, but sometimes Fred's call goes straight to voicemail and I don't know he called at all until I check voicemail. (yes, often I get a beep and I can see Fred's call and call him back) Sometimes I don't recognize the number on the other call and since it only appears for a short time I don't always have time to jot the number down. Either way Fred gets sent to voicemail and my call log does NOT show his call as a missed call in either my phone call log which shows missed calls with a little phone receiver and X in yellow along with a number or in the Email log where missed and received calls are logged as well.
Yep, if the phone's call logger doesn't count "went to voice mail, either manually or on timeout" as a missed call, then the call simply won't show up at all.

As for "why doesn't it call-wait me, even though it knows I'm reachable, since I'm on a frickin' call"? Can't help too much with that, though you can ask Nextel for "Extended Ring Time", which pushes the VM transfer from 15-20 seconds up to 30. That may help, or it may take a new generic in the MTSOs. DOn't hold your breath on that one.

Quote:
Problem TWO
Sadly Fred in all his excitement fails to leave the phone number of the studio stage he and Juwaack68 are calling from so I go press 5 on my phone like I would if I had a normal cell phone to retrieve the "envelope information" which NORMALLY includes the missed caller's phone number/time of call and that option only gives me the time Fred called. No number. No other function key during message playback in Voicemail allows me to retrieve the number that Fred called from. What to do???

{As a side note I have had a two different level 2 Blackberry techs at Sprint/Nextel confirm that there is no way to retrieve a phone number from a call in voicemail.}
The issue there is whether the voicemail platform Nextel has deployed stores the CNID -- assuming it even receives it.

These days, almost everything does, so I'm going to assume that the problem is that the details of Nextel's deployment of voicemail prevent it from receiving the number.

You're right; it's stupid.

Hammer on them every chance you get, and maybe it will percolate up.

Quote:
Back to our story...Of course at this point I am thinking only of my dear friend Juwaack68 on that sound stage waiting for me to call. I franticly search my call log and Email log on my Blackberry to see if I can find a missed call from Fred. In my call log I see that Juwaack68's mom called me to make sure I stayed by the phone for her sweet daughter's phone call, but I missed her mom's call. I can also see Fred's wife Cindy called too saying she was sure there was no such thing as a Q-tipped palm tree, but I missed her call too. Juwaack68's mom's call is in my missed call log and so is Cindy's, but Fred's call never made the cut somehow. Later that night I find out poor poor Juwaack68 missed the answer on "Millionaire" and had to go home in shame having selected SHEEP as her final answer.
Well, then, that's the solution to your problem: Never Choose Sheep.

Quote:
I hope this helps you understand the issue. I am told it would take a programmer to change the voicemail server program to correct Problem TWO. As for problem ONE, it is a mystery why some calls like Fred's fail to be logged in the missed call log.
It may not be a programming problem on 2. As noted, the CNID may simply never get to the VM server.

As for the first problem, IMO, if the call rings the phone it should show up, and it does. If it call-waits the phone, it should also show up -- even if you don't answer it, and, IME, Nextel phones have always gotten this wrong.

Later Nextel's, like my 730, logged it if you answered it, but if you bounced it to VM (or it timed out to there), poof; it's gone.

I do have to say, though, that this is about the most lyrical trouble ticket I've ever seen.
Closed Thread