BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
Meatbag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Default Intel Based iMacs Running PocketMac

Please Login to Remove!

I'm thinking about upgrading my older iMac to one of the Intel based iMacs. Does anyone have one yet and have successfully used PocketMac on it? Everything works flawlessly and don't want to upgrade until I know most app's are now cool with the new chipset.

I did read at PocketMacs website that there was problems running it but that statement was made back in January and wasn't sure if that was still the case.

Last edited by Meatbag; 04-06-2006 at 09:09 AM..
Old 04-07-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
DallasAtty
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

No worky. Hopefully, "we're working on it" means "we're working on it." Somehow, I'm not going to hold my breath. Afterall, they're blaming it on a USB problem with the Intel iMac, but every other device I have that uses USB does so flawlessly. Not a good sign.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

YOU CAN NOW DUAL BOOT!! Apple released software no need for pocketmac just use the windows side for your BB
Old 04-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
CanuckMakem
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple85
YOU CAN NOW DUAL BOOT!! Apple released software no need for pocketmac just use the windows side for your BB
Hell no... I want to use iCal and am not planning on loading Windoze onto my iMac.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Kripto

PocketMac seems to be a pretty shady company. No way to reach them and they don't seem to update their "news". I don't think I would trust their product on my computer..

Just my .02c

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasAtty
No worky. Hopefully, "we're working on it" means "we're working on it." Somehow, I'm not going to hold my breath. Afterall, they're blaming it on a USB problem with the Intel iMac, but every other device I have that uses USB does so flawlessly. Not a good sign.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
CanuckMakem
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kripto
PocketMac seems to be a pretty shady company. No way to reach them and they don't seem to update their "news". I don't think I would trust their product on my computer..

Just my .02c
Do you have an alternative? I mean they can't be that shady if RIM has partnered with them.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.

PocketMac is a small company and they will get a universal upgrade out. Its great to have RIM paying our way with PocketMac now, but do wonder if that is going to speed up or slow down the process. Being a PocketMac customer over the years I got to believe they are working on it. Adobe doesn't have universal products out yet, and the only thing shady Adobe is the high prices, and maybe the software activation BS now...
Old 04-16-2006, 12:46 AM   #8
dmoffitt

Carrier: T-Mobile

To all of the idiots saying "just suck it up and dual-boot XP" - that kills the whole point of the amazing integration apple has w/ Mail.app, iCal, Address Book, and all of the other OS apps. If you don't have / use a mac much (or properly) that means nothing to you, but then you also wouldn't understand my calling you an "idiot" for your "suggestion" :D Having to somehow do periodic exports of all of these applications, copying them to my FAT32 XP partition and importing / merging w/ Windows' piss-poor facsimiles of these applications could be SOMEWHAT automated w/ an AppleScript or Apple's Automator, not so much on the PC side, but that is not true SYNCing - nor is it a good or efficient workflow. What NEEDS to happen is RIM needs to get off their proverbial butt and instead of licensing a crappy band-aid like Pocket Mac, they need to make these devices standards-based. It ALWAYS pisses me off when people call Macs "Proprietary" and say that is why such-and-such won't work, what could be more standards based than *nix (BSD) and running things like Apache, etc - I run my business on an XSERVE and let me tell you, Apple is as standards-based as they come. If RIM could latch into the iCal API directly (even 37Signal's basecamp website can do this!) or make everything SyncML or iSync compatible, that would fix it - hell, my several-year old Sony Ericsson T616 could do all of that, and over BT to boot.....
Old 04-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #9
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Amen to that dmoffitt.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #10
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.

Might just have to suck it up and pack up the BB for a Treo 650? It may come to that. RIM leaving support for the Mac to a 3rd party developer is not good enough. The intel mac was not a surprise, the app should have been universal long ago.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Yes, I can see dozens of artists and students leaving the RIM fold for a Treo.

Do the math - the BlackBerry is still designed for business, military and governments. You know, those idiots that still use Windows.

It just isn't an important market for RIM, I guess.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:36 AM   #12
dmoffitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Yes, I can see dozens of artists and students leaving the RIM fold for a Treo.

Do the math - the BlackBerry is still designed for business, military and governments. You know, those idiots that still use Windows.

It just isn't an important market for RIM, I guess.
that's about the dumbest thing i have heard from a marketing / business standpoint. why would they want to pre-edit customers??
Old 04-17-2006, 05:23 AM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Because you can't please all of the people all of the time. It's not dumb, it's business.

Why no RIM developed Linux drivers? No market.
Why no RIM developed MAC drivers? Same answer.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
Kripto

Default Support or no support...

I don't understand why pocketmac wouldn't run on an Intel Macbook. If it supports Bluetooth serial (which it does) and you can create a serial port and associate it.

The pocketmac binary runs (under rosetta), using bluetooth, it doesn't have to use the crazy weird serial port problem that apple introduced like 4 months ago with the laptop.. (4 months and pocketmac developers can't figure it out? That frightens me!!!)

Either way, does anyone have a way of getting their contacts from their computer to their blackberry that doesn't involve a cable or bluetooth connection? Its going to suck to try and enter them all in manually....
Old 04-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #15
Katrina Niolet
Thumbs Must Hurt

You might want to try SyncML...I believe there is a client for Blackberry.

Katrina Niolet
[email address]
Old 04-17-2006, 10:58 PM   #16
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

They need to recompile code. The Intel x86 achitecture is completely different from the IBM PowerPC processor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kripto
I don't understand why pocketmac wouldn't run on an Intel Macbook.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:45 AM   #17
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
They need to recompile code. The Intel x86 achitecture is completely different from the IBM PowerPC processor.
Not necessarily. PowerPC apps will run on an Intel Mac using Rosetta. Office:Mac 2004 is a perfect example. It's not a universal binary, it's a pure PowerPC app. Rosetta is an emulation program for PowerPC apps (think VirtualPC for Windows apps). The issue is (according to PocketMac) that the way the Intel Macs utilize USB is different than the way PPC machines do. But if that's the case, why do my other USB devices work (mouse, scanner, printer, etc).

I just can't believe that it's taking PocketMac this long to figure out how to make it work!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:54 AM   #18
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

It's not PocketMac issue anymore, RIM took other the PocketMac BlackBerry Sync development a few months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlevine
Not necessarily. PowerPC apps will run on an Intel Mac using Rosetta. Office:Mac 2004 is a perfect example. It's not a universal binary, it's a pure PowerPC app. Rosetta is an emulation program for PowerPC apps (think VirtualPC for Windows apps). The issue is (according to PocketMac) that the way the Intel Macs utilize USB is different than the way PPC machines do. But if that's the case, why do my other USB devices work (mouse, scanner, printer, etc).

I just can't believe that it's taking PocketMac this long to figure out how to make it work!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:59 AM   #19
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
It's not PocketMac issue anymore, RIM took other the PocketMac BlackBerry Sync development a few months ago.
Really? So, if I'm reading you right, PocketMac is now a RIM product? I hadn't heard that. According to their press release, they partnered with PocketMac to offer their product free of charge to Mac users. Effectively, they farmed out responsibility to make their product work with Macs to a third party. Now you're saying that they've purchased PocketMac's program and are re-writing it? What would be the purpose of that?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #20
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Take it FWIW http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...=RIM+PocketMac but I don't think you'll be satisfied until it works to your standards. My understanding is RIM will be assisting in the development of the AppLoader feature and all around enhancement of PocketMac.
Closed Thread