BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Digicam
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Question Email confusion of terms by new Blackberry user.

Please Login to Remove!

I am very new to the Blackberry system and have a Storm. Love it. I have the $29 unlimited Verizon plan, which gives me web and online email. Coming from a standard LG cell phone, this is all new.

My confusion is about what can I actually do with email within the package. I can go to the web, to my email site on Gmail and access it or to Yahoo etc. But I keep getting a message that there is no message service configured when I want to just send an email. As a resut, no email is "pushed" to me. Is info that is "pushed" outside the Unlimited package. There are instructions online as to how to setup email, but vague on details.

My question, is what is free here? If I follow the links to "add or create an email account" on BIS, am I adding another cost...outside the $29 plan or what? If I setup an email address on BIS, is this an added new charge? If email is pushed to my cellphone, is it no longer available to me through my Eudora PC based program? I said I was new...

As well, could you tell me if for instance I add an application for say weather bug, that pushes info to me, within the Unlimited Web package?

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, but I searched and this seemed to be the best choice.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Welcome to BBF!

Any email addresses you add to be pushed to your phone will be free. You can use the Email Setup (or name will be some variation of that) to add the addresses to your device so that you can both send and receive email. Your email should also continue to come to the Eudora program if you check a box during set-up that says something along the lines of leaving mail on the server.

Downloading WeatherBug (particularly the Storm beta posted here) will also be free. The 29.99 unlimited package you have is unlimited data, so (most) anything requiring the Internet on your Storm will be free unless otherwise marked.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them - there's no silly questions when you're new to something. That's why we're all here

Last edited by rachamphetamine; 01-02-2009 at 05:45 PM..
Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Digicam

Default Thank you for your reply...

I am glad you added that, "there's no silly questions when you're new to something." I'm sure there will be a couple more.

To expand on this, when I signed up and asked the Verizon rep, what email was available to me with the $29 unlimited Web/Email, he stated, "Web based only." This may be part of my source of confusion here. What email isn't web based? What was his point?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digicam View Post
I am glad you added that, "there's no silly questions when you're new to something." I'm sure there will be a couple more.

To expand on this, when I signed up and asked the Verizon rep, what email was available to me with the $29 unlimited Web/Email, he stated, "Web based only." This may be part of my source of confusion here. What email isn't web based? What was his point?
I believe he was trying to indicate that you don't have BES provisioning, which would allow you to sync your device with a corporate enterprise server. The personal BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) plan allows you to add up to 10 personal email addresses.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
Digicam

Default Another question...

First, thank you for the answers to my questions so far. Very helpful for this newbie. I have another question coming into this land of "It costs extra but they didn't tell me..." In the email setup screen besides adding addresses, you can set up a Blackberry email account (????@vzw.blackberry.net). Is this still part of the unlimited $29,99 unlimited Web/Email plan, or is this now a totally separate charge?

Am I correct to assume this email comes only to the phone as opposed to Gmail etc. that is pushed to the phone from elsewhere?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

A vzw.blackberry.net email is included with the data plan that you have should you choose to set it up. And yes, they do only go to the phone as the phone is the sole inbox for that account, which is a downside - along with weak spam control.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
Digicam

Default VZW email

So is there an web based online site to define spam etc. controls of the VZW email account if any, or is this done solely from the phone itself in the "filters" area for the account?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
shlomo15

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

How do I highlight MULTIPLE email messages so that I can delete them as a group instead of one by one ?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
coeff

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlomo15 View Post
How do I highlight MULTIPLE email messages so that I can delete them as a group instead of one by one ?
Put one finger on one end and another finger on the other end of the group.
Note the addition of a deselect button on the bottom right corner when you have multiple highlighted.
Closed Thread