BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
safraneczek

Model: Not y
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Not yet
Default Please help full web broser: Storm or Omnia?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
I'm new on this forum. I was using BB Curve (TMobile) for almost a year and half. I really loved that phone. The only con was that it didn't support real web browsing with tab and didn't have GPS (the last one is less important). Two weeks ago my phone was stolen. I had insurence but they told me that i have to pay $130 for new phone. I decided that since i would have to pay it is good time to upgrade phone and change company. Because I really like BB i decided to go with Storm. Today I went to Verizon Center and I was about to take new Storm and 2 year contract. I was playing with the phone and typed random address: yahoo.com, browser opened mobile version of yahoo.com. What? I really thought that new BB finally support full web browsing. What a dissapointment. I really wanted tab and popup support (websites that i usually visit work with popups). I thought that new BB will finally support feature that IPhone has had for a long time. I started searching again and I found Samsung Omnia with web browser that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
Please tell me what do you think?
I really love BB and would like to have one but real web browsing is also really important for me.
Maybe I should wait few months for something new from BB?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
zerog6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: 30547339
Carrier: Verizon

The BB browser has the option to view web pages as a mobile device, or as a standard pc web page acting as both IE, or firefox. The BB browser does have good support and it is pretty good from what i've been using it, but it is a bit slow even with javascript support turned off to speed it up.

To answer your question, Opera, which is the browser the omnia, and pretty much every other WM user has, is widely considered the best/fastest browser aside from safari on the iphone.

However, opera is available for BB, but it is not specific to the storm. So while it is still fully functional, it is pretty clumsy because of the lack of screen click support.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
safraneczek

Model: Not y
Carrier: Not yet

You mean opera mini or mobile? Mini doesnt support tabs.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I liked the Omnia as well, however I cannot live without my BB ... I have grown very used to my storm and it functions very well with the included web browser. For me, if the site offers a mobile version I prefer that, it's much faster. However I love the fact that I have the option to view every page as the full html version.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
zerog6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: 30547339
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by safraneczek View Post
You mean opera mini or mobile? Mini doesnt support tabs.
I believe the omnia has opera mobile, but personally i've always used mini and that's the one I have on the storm.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:07 AM   #6
viet2100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

The Blackberry Storm can view full sites as stated above. Whenever you visit a site, your phone will go to the mobile version because it is quicker and all fits on your screen.